Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dared1 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2008, 12:57 AM
    Evicting a house guest?
    Approximately 2 months ago I opened up my home to my ex (father of my youngest child)
    Due to the fact I worked in California and was living in Ga. He was just getting a divorce and looking for a new start so I figured we could help one another out. He moved in from Fl. We never signed a lease because I knew he didn't have a job and it wasn't that type of arrangement. There was NO hanky panky whatsoever. He had his own room. To make a long story short. I sent some money to him to pay our child's band dues. He instead used it for something else and is lying to me about 'misplacing it'. I want him out of my home now because he has stolen from me. How can I put him out? Do I need to go through the eviction process even though there is no lease. I am in California and he is there with our child and my 20 year old. I have old him verbally to get out and he tells me I'm over reacting! I don't trust him with my things now. Im not due to go home for another 3 weeks!
    ATYOURSERVICE Posts: 246, Reputation: 13

Nov 30, 2008, 01:57 AM

You said it. He is a house guest. You call the local police and advise them you want him removed. He refuses to leave and he is not a renter or leasee. Then you change your locks.

If he does not pay rent, or there is no lease, there is no law to protect him.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2008, 08:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ATYOURSERVICE View Post
    You said it. He is a house guest. You call the local police and advise them you want him removed. He refuses to leave and he is not a renter or leasee. Then you change your locks.

If he does not pay rent, or there is no lease, there is no law to protect him.

He's living there. He has to be evicted. The Police will not get involved because this is not a criminal case - he didn't break in.

This is very bad, incorrect advice that could cause the OP to be fined for locking the tenant out. You can't take the law into your own hands.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2008, 11:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dared1 View Post
    I figured we could help one another out. He had his own room.
    Hello dared:

He was helping, how? By giving you a few bucks? Trading labor for rent? In either case, he's paying for his room in some fashion or another (or at least that's what the arrangement is).

He's a tenant. You have to evict him.

excon
    SlimQQ Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2010, 10:29 AM
    I have a question. What if someone asked me to move in, I did not have to pay rent, I do the house work, my own laundry with my own detergents (which he will use when I am not looking), buy my own food and just because I won't give him a hand job or sleep with him, he wants me to move out. I am 11 weeks away from graduating college and just because he is Obsessive Compulsive and suffers from Obsessive Sexual Behavior shouldn't mean I have to leave. He masturbates on web cam regularly. I had to get a new hard drive after he used my computer to do such nasty things. His parents know what he does and yet they buy him a new computer with a web cam and microphone, they paid for all the remodeling in his house even though he lies to them about everything. He sexually harasses the neighbors to the point they confront him in the streets when he walks his dog. They ask me to do something about it, but who am I and why should I? I know they can talk just as well as I can. I just heard them so they can tell him to stop. He doesn't want me here because of HIS bad behavior. He wants to sit naked on the couch, where I sleep, watch horror movies, drink beer on his psychiatric medication until he blacks out and then breaks something or tries to start a fight. He yells obscenities out the windows to people walking down the street and will answer the door totally naked. He accidentally exposed his genitalia to my 11 year old and now my son won't stay for a visit even though he is 17 now. He solicited sex over the Internet to get someone to watch him when he comes home for lunch. I. T. was monitoring him and he almost lost his job at Met Life and the only thing that prevented that was his work performance. He ran under crime scene tape and when the police did a background check on him, he had been arrested for urinating on a Police Officer and stealing peanuts. He lied to his parents when I was out of town for a couple of weeks and told them I had moved out. Another lie. He lied about going to see a Psychiatrist for his odd behavior, I took him for his first session and promised me and his parents that he would go regularly. Well, that was a lie too. He never went back after the first time. When he blacks out, he breaks things, tries to start fights and other crazy things. I am not sure what he is telling his parents about me, but I do nothing but go to school, keep the house clean, take care of the animals, and contribute to the house hold. I am completely miffed as to why I have to move out other than he wants to do things without a witness. His parents know what all he does and they said I had to leave too. He must have told on big fish story. Maybe they feel guilty that he turned out the way he is and just go along with his decision to kick me out with nowhere to go and when I have done nothing wrong. He's 42 years-old, has only had one girlfriend, doesn't own a cell, doesn't go out and socialize, has no friends, so that right there should tell you something. What rights do I have when I have done nothing wrong? He chats on Yahoo. His screen name is either "Beatle" or "David the Fish." Watch out! He'll ask you if you want to watch him masturbate! And I have to move out? Why? I need help here, please.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2010, 01:48 PM

This is simply too long to read. I don't know what the background has to do with the question.

I have no idea why anyone does what anyone does.

What is your legal question? Can you evict someone because you don't want him "there" any longer?

Yes, according to the laws of your State.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Evicting a relative/guest [ 2 Answers ]

My elderly aunt asked and allowed her grandson and his girlfriend to move in with an agreement that they would pay utilities only. They were barely in before it became evident that they could not live together. The grandson agreed to move out. She gave them $3500 to help them rent (neither have...

Being a guest in my own house [ 5 Answers ]

Okay so I haven't been on her in awhile cause everything is going good pretty much except for living with my family. I guess you could say I'm the outkast of the family :( my brother and mom and my moms loud mouth irrogant boyfriend all drink till they can't stand everyday right at about 5...

Evicting a guest in your home [ 3 Answers ]

My brother has a girl friend living in his home who he invited to stay with him after her landlord served her with a 3-day eviction notice. Now he is trying to get her out but she has called the police on him and the police told him that he cannot just put her out because she is a resident in his...

Evicting a guest in California [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, my brother who was disabled lived in a home I own in California. There was one gentleman who we allowed to I've in the home rent free for just being available in late evenings when caregivers were not there. I was at the home two to three days a week. The guest paid no rent, no utilities and...

Texas Law on evicting a house guest [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking for the Texas laws on evicting a house guests or a renter that has no lease and has not paid rent.

View more questions Search