Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SouthernSpecial Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Jun 30, 2006, 05:14 PM
    High School Study Abroad Programs
    I'm searching for a good high school study abroad program. I'm looking for programs that:

1. Have academic year AND semester programs(or at least academic year)
    2. Are around or under $10,000.
    3. Have excellent credentials.
    4. Offer programs in England.

Pretty basic stuff, I know. I've looked at AYUSA. But a semester in England would be $18,000-$19,000, which I can't afford. Also they've cancelled their academic year and semester programs to England. But they're still accepting aplications.

I'm also looking at ASSE, which appears to be very inexpensive($7,000-$8,000). However, it's website is rather hard to navigate.

I'm not even bothering with TWU(Two Worlds United) anymore, after hearing that it is a scam.

Jul 1, 2006, 11:03 AM
    Thanks, I'll be sure to check that out.

I AM really impressed with ASSE at the moment. Not only are they a member of the BBB, but they have an AAA rating, and only one complaint(that was 'quickly resolved'). It only costs about $7,200. It includes tuition and airfare from a 'gateway city'. So I would just have to pay $300-$400 for a flight to NY. I was kind of worried when I read on their site that the host family doesn't receive any money to pay for your meals, lodging, etc. But students are required to take part in chores and stuff like that. When I read that I thought back to a post on the TWU thread that said that their host family couldn't afford them. But as they've only had one, quickly resolved, complaint, I'm assuming that's never happened with this program. Another thing is that they don't have an England program. They have a Great Britain Program. So I could be placed in England, Scotland, or Wales. On a final note, I would have to do the academic year program, because they do not offer semester programs. They offer summer programs, but I really want to experience public school life in England. I'll probably be sticking with this program, unless I find something else.

Now I just wish I knew how to talk to my parents about studying abroad.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 1, 2006, 11:22 AM
    My sister-in-law and her family were host a host family here in the US for a girl from Germany. When I asked her about the families receiving money, she asked her "counselor" if the host families were supposed to receive money. She was told that if it were a reputable company, then no, they do not receive money.

Families sign up to be host families just like students sign up to study abroad. The company that she was with, forgive me I cannot remember the name and she is not available right now, required that the host families as well as the travelling student meet with a counselor monthly.

I will post the name of the company as soon as I get in touch with her. BTW, she is using the same company to send her daughter to Australia.

I just spoke with my sister-in-law and the company was ASSE. She said the company was wonderful, although their host child was a nightmare. :mad:

She told me that they have yearly programs as well as semester and even shorter terms.

She had to meet with a counselor/coordinator once a month to make sure everything was going as planned.

The exchange student she had was sent money to an account, by her parents in Germany, at the parents' discretion. All money went directly to the student, not the company.

I hope this helps.

Jul 1, 2006, 05:09 PM
    I checked the CSIET list. ASSE is on it, and they have a 'Full' rating(that means they have met all of the requirments).

Great! I'm so glad I've found someone who has experience with the program. I've e-mailed the area representatives to request more information. They haven't replied yet. But then again, it's a holiday weekend, isn't it?

As far as my parents... they don't exactly know that I'm planning this. I'm waiting for the right time. My dad probably knows that I want to go abroad already(I left an AYUSA brochure in the living room by accident one time). You have no idea how hard it is to talk to parents about studying abroad. Or my parents at least:

I say: "Mom, Dad, I want to study abroad in England."
    They hear: "Hey momz and popz! I'm leaving you for a long long time and I'm gunna live in another country far far away!"
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 1, 2006, 05:54 PM
    My sister-in-law does have experience as a host family and as I said is looking forward to using them to send her daughter abroad. She was very happy with them.

Good Luck!!
    [email protected] Posts: 29, Reputation: 3

Jul 1, 2006, 09:38 PM
    Ditto the reputable companies do not pay the host families. As it was explained to me by a "reputable company" that is to eliminate all the potential conflicts of interest and is the "reputable" industry standard. Although in this industry, I don't know what that means... Sounds like you are on the right track. Go with your gut feeling, run if all your questions are not answered well before you leave, and have a back-up plan. Keep us posted as to how it's going. At this point I would love hearing a great study abroad story!

Oh and SOUTHERN SPECIAL--I am one of those parents, just be organized, show your research, and discuss how this experience can make your college apps stand out from the crowd. Emptying the dishwasher without being asked helps too! Good luck!

Jul 3, 2006, 05:27 PM
    Thanks for the parent advice!

As for ASSE, they are the company I've decided to talk to my parents about. Just to make sure, I wanted to see if there had been any complaints that were not reported to the BBB. So I searched MySpace for teens that had been on the program. Most of them seemed really happy with it. There was one person(a student from Japan studying in Canada) who didn't get along with his orriginal host family. However(this was in a series of MySpace 'blogs') he contacted the company and was assigned a new host family within a couple of days. I'm seeing no down side to the program.

I requested a brochure today, so I should be talking to my parents within the upcoming weeks. It's just too bad that I can't go abroad sooner. I need to escape this 'bubble' I'm in. Ha, for a second there I actually sounded like an angsty teenager. That's a first...

Thank you, all of you, for helping me and advising me. It means a lot, and I hope I can continue to get advice as I go through the parent-talking/ application process!
    [email protected] Posts: 29, Reputation: 3

Jul 3, 2006, 08:49 PM
    Relentless research pays off. Just remember that as parents we don't really sit around figuring out ways to make our kids lives miserable--we're really just trying to keep you guys alive. Keep us posted on your progress. Also, I'd be happy to talk to your parents. I do believe that the study abroad thing is invaluable, it just needs to be done with the right company!

Jul 10, 2006, 05:49 PM
    Parent Update- Because I left the ASSE brochure on the table, my parents now know what I want to do. The hard part is going to be getting them to take me seriously. At least I'm getting SOMEWHERE with my parents...

Jul 25, 2006, 06:37 PM
    Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you. I've been away at camps and on vacation, etc. During this time I've realized that due to a previous commitment, I cannot be away for an entire academic year. I could only study for the spring semester of my junior year, or fall semester of my senior year. However, I cannot find anything on ASSE's site about semester abroad programs. J-9, you mentioned that they DO have semester programs. Perhaps I should inquire about them?

Jul 27, 2006, 05:12 PM
    The only other option would be to go my senior year. That would be quite odd, graduating from a high school in a different country. But then again, I plan to attend college in England, so maybe that would be a good thing. I'm about to e-mail ASSE and ask about their semester programs.
    LiLcUpPyCaKe Posts: 7, Reputation: 3

Aug 5, 2006, 10:44 AM
    Good luck with your study abroad experience... though I didn't get to go to TWU because they messed up everything I wish someone a good study abroad experience so good luck
    fullxcollapse Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2006, 04:38 AM
    Through ASSE, about how much does a semester in Great Britain cost?
    sovaira Posts: 271, Reputation: 10

Nov 27, 2006, 11:45 PM
    My problem is the same ,if you get a solution to your problem then please do let me know too.ok
    sovaira Posts: 271, Reputation: 10

Feb 24, 2007, 10:13 AM
    I don't understand what's the problem going on here ,if some one got the same issue or problem... its always wise to let some one pour their heart out and discuss their problems on the common platform... but some poepl here do got problem... :-(
    hollyt Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2007, 02:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernSpecial
    I'm searching for a good high school study abroad program. I'm looking for programs that:

1. Have academic year AND semester programs(or at least academic year)
    2. Are around or under $10,000.
    3. Have excellent credentials.
    4. Offer programs in England.

Pretty basic stuff, I know. I've looked at AYUSA. But a semester in England would be $18,000-$19,000, which I can't afford. Also they've cancelled their academic year and semester programs to England. But they're still accepting aplications.

I'm also looking at ASSE, which appears to be very inexpensive($7,000-$8,000). However, it's website is rather hard to navigate.

I'm not even bothering with TWU(Two Worlds United) anymore, after hearing that it is a scam.
    Have you looked into AFS or AIFS?? Sometimes it is helpful to go directly to the source. Research some schools in England that you are interested in attending. Contact them directly and see which programs they support.

Best of luck to you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Study abroad in Ireland? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello everyone! Just wondering if anyone had used the NorthWest Student Exchange or the Youth for Understanding study abroad programs *esp. in Ireland* How did your stay go? Any complaints? PLEASE let me know because I am about to pick a program to study abroad in ireland with and I'm DESPERATE...

Seton Home Study School [ 8 Answers ]

This is a Catholic Home School course. I am trying to find out as much about them as can. I have went over almost every line on every page on their site and all of the links. I am trying to find someone that has perhaps had experience with them or know people that have used them.

Want to study abroad for Masteral... [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there I'm a disabled person, I have finished my college here in the Philippines with the degree of AB political science, but now I'm pursuing my law proper here,but I'm planning to stop for a while because I want to study abroad to be particular in the US, so I can able to broaden my horizon and...

View more questions Search