Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    krawdiggity Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2008, 07:44 PM
    Fireplace Framing
    I recently bought a house and this weekend I went to start a fire. When I did this I found that there is a gap of about 6" between the brick and wood framing for the fireplace mantle. This poses a severe fire risk as burning hot amber could roll into that gap and start my house on fire. This gap is all the way around and the only option I can see would be to tear out some framing and brick to the opening but I wanted to get some suggestions. Any help would be appreciated.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 30, 2008, 08:16 PM

6", didn't you get a home inspection, this is pretty significant flaw. Since the mantle is above the fire box no coals can roll into it, can you try to tell us more details about this gap. Did you possibly mean the hearth?

Nov 30, 2008, 10:18 PM
    Our home inspector did not say anything or put anything in the report about it. When I spoke of the mantle I meant where it was framed out for the wood surround and mantle.

Dec 1, 2008, 05:33 PM

Sides, top or floor area? Only on the floor would there be an issue and that's the hearth. The sides can be filled with a strip of similar wood stained or painted to match, this area should not be a fire hazard.

Dec 1, 2008, 06:49 PM

What it seems is that there was a fire place and they did not like how it looked so they framed up an opening in front with glass doors and were in the process of converting it to a gas fire place.
    So I guess what I need is a way to fill the gad where the hearth would be?

Dec 2, 2008, 05:51 PM

Any chance of a picture?

Dec 2, 2008, 08:21 PM

Can you send me your e-mail? I can't get them loaded on here.
    My e-mail is [email protected]. I have some good pictures to show everything I am looking at. Thanks

Dec 2, 2008, 08:23 PM

Done

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement framing over 1x3 [ 4 Answers ]

Looking to redo a couple semi finished rooms in my basement. One of the rooms is already finished with 1x3 furringstrips and paneling. I plan on removing the paneling but what about the furring strips? They are attached to masonary walls with nails. If I start ripping them out won't that do a...

Framing an oil painting [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have an oil painting cut up in nine pieces meant to Be put on the wall with an inch gap between each Piece.Each piece is meant to be projected from the Wall.My problem is that I have not left gaps on the Sides of each piece for stretching over wooden Frames.And I donot want each...

Leak around basement fireplace but not in fireplace [ 1 Answers ]

Recently when we had heavy rain it leaked around the baement fireplace. I have noticed that the grout around the bricks are wet (not sure if soaking up from the floor). Thought because some flooding near by that it was a one time thing. Now it rained a coupe of days ago and I am noticing that it is...

Roof framing [ 1 Answers ]

How to lay out and cut roof rafters

New framing on old wall [ 2 Answers ]

I am about to undertake some remodeling on my master bath and let me explain the setup first. From my master bad to the sink area of the bathroom there is a half wall with 2 supports because it is a load bearing wall. I want to tear this out and put a pocket door in and make the wall a full one. ...

View more questions Search