Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lawschool21 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2008, 07:44 PM
    Rights on personal belongings
    I am wanting to know about rights for personal belongings. Here's the situation: My friend moves out of his house that he shared wit his ex-girlfriend. That same girlfriend and his family helped him move out. He moved his belongings to his sisters house. He was leaving out of town the next day so everything was still in bags and boxes. While he was out of town his belongings were gone through and there were some items found of his ex-girlfriends. She took those as well as some stuff that was his. Some of which he can prove with receipts through eBay. He had not signed a lease or anything yet because he didn't know how long he would be there and he left to go out of town. Can people legally go through his stuff? I'm borderline on this one. Where do your rights come in?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 29, 2008, 07:55 PM

This is borderline. There should be a presumption of privacy which the sister violated. On the other hand, the belongings were left with the sister with no conditions.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2008, 08:14 AM
    Hello law:

I don't think it's borderline. I think it's theft. When the sister took control of the belongings, she also accepted responsibility for them. In legal terms, it's called a bailment.

No matter how a bailment arises, the bailee (the sister) has both a duty of care and duty to re-deliver the bailment in its original condition. The bailee is expected to take (as a minimum) reasonable precautions to safeguard the property.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 30, 2008, 02:08 PM

The reason I thought it borderline is because the OP just the stuff without any word, but I agree the sister had assumed responsibility for the items.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My boyfriend changed the locks with all my personal belongings still there [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Overland Park, Kansas and my boyfriend decided to change the locks while I was at work yesterday. Everything I own is in that house. I am not on the lease but my Driver's License has that address number and I get mail there. What are my rights? Is he allowed to do this? I don't know any...

Do I have the right to my personal belongings? [ 2 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend and I were together for 4 1/2 years. About a month ago, he decided that he (we) were leaving Arizona to move back east where oure families are. We packed up everything (mostly my things) and we drove cross country for 4 days making plans to go back and put HIS condo up for sale...

Personal belongings [ 2 Answers ]

What is the definition of personal belongings?

Room mate left personal belongings and furniture [ 5 Answers ]

I know this has been asked before but I'm still confused. I live in Kansas. I had a room mate who lived with me for about 6 months while she tried to get away from an abusive husband. During that time she never paid rent or bills, but she did buy a few pieces of furniture. When she left (to go...

Ex will not take her belongings [ 5 Answers ]

I ended my 1 1/2 year relationship at end of November. My ex and I had been living together for 1 year. She has yet to move any of her belongings (t.v's, beds, sofas, clothes etc.) or take her 2 dogs and rabbit. Says she "can't find a suitable place to live" and doesn't want to have to "move her...

View more questions Search