Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jumbo1114 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2008, 07:03 PM
    John Deere 185 Hydro Charging/Battery light stays on
    I purchased a used JD 185 Hydro Lawn Tractor and it runs perfect... but the dash battery light stays on all the time. I wonder if it is supposed to stay on... or is the battery not being charged when light is on?
    Also... I've discovered a cure for the center-mounted "free-wheel" knob... getting it to stay in the clockwise position... for when you just want to push the machine. If interested, just let me know.
    Thanks
    Jumbo1114
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Nov 30, 2008, 08:23 AM

Hi,
    Many things could cause the charge light to stay on. The two most common areas weak regulator or corroded connectors at the regulator. It is behind the battery and has a 6 prong connector. Check the connectors for corrsion. The regulator itself is rather expensive. The AC output from a healthy stator shouldbe about 36V and the DC output from a healthy regulator should be between 14 and 15V, usually.
    On the freewheel, Eaton hydro there should be two holes underneath that will line up on the linkage that you simply stick a bolt through.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    Jumbo1114 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2008, 10:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by crigby View Post
    Hi,
    Many things could cause the charge light to stay on. The two most common areas weak regulator or corroded connectors at the regulator. It is behind the battery and has a 6 prong connector. Check the connectors for corrsion. The regulator itself is rather expensive. The AC output from a healthy stator shouldbe about 36V and the DC output from a healthy regulator should be between 14 and 15V, usually.
    On the freewheel, Eaton hydro there should be two holes underneath that will line up on the linkage that you simply stick a bolt through.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    Thanks for the info... very helpful... and right on target.
    After cleaning all connections... and a little elec. Spray... all is good again.
    As for the freewheel... I made a spring-loaded lever that has a socket head screw that fits into the first hole on knob plate and adjacent hole in mounting plate... I mounted it to the frame. Then I simply rotate freewheel knob until screwhead pops in place... when done I just lift the lever a bit and I'm good to go.
    Thanks again.
    Jumbo1114

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

John Deere Hydro 185 won't start [ 4 Answers ]

Tractor ran good last fall, parked it in heated shop, cleaned old gas out, put new battery in, and acts like it is not getting spark?:

John Deere 175 Hydro manual needed [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know how to hook up the mower deck to the lawn tractor. How do I check fluid on the transmission?

John deere riding mower battery charging [ 3 Answers ]

I have had this john deere 16 hp 42 inch riding mower for 8 years. The battery charging circuit has never worked. Although it runs for some time on an external charge, I would like to get it right. I pulled the stator yesterday and cleaned everything with a dremel and wire brush, to make sure that...

John Deere 316 dies when hydro engaged [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1986 John Deere Model 316 riding tractor. I have a problem with a safety switch somewhere that I cannot seem to locate. When I start the motor and try to engage the hydrostat or the pto, it dies. I have replaced the switch on the hydro control and cut the wires on the seat switch and...

John deere hydro 185 [ 2 Answers ]

I have a john deere 185, it will turn over and start with starting fuid and stay running if I keep hiting the carb with starting fluid, soon as I stop it shuts off, I checked fuel lines and cleaned the carb, lines are good and it is getting fuel in the retaining pool under the carb, I think it...

View more questions Search