Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    student007 Posts: 60, Reputation: 2

Jun 30, 2006, 03:28 PM
    M S
    I just got diagnosed with optical neuritis (but have had minimal, if any, pain) in my left eye. I am a 20-year old white female. I have absolutely no family history of MS, but now I fear that I may develop it. I have in the past month experienced the following: optic neuritis, slight numbness in a localized region of my left hand (only happened twice and lasted for about 15 minutes at most), and I have always been succeptable to dizziness (my mother has vertigo). Can anyone tell me what the probability is, and also how long it would be until I would (at least on average) develop it?

Thank you
    Alfie Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2006, 04:47 AM
    Hi, I have MS, diagnosed in 2001. I am now certain that I have had it for some fifteen years or so but didn't recognise the little symptoms as they didn't affect my life enough. I am now in quite an advanced state of MS, I can't walk and my left hand and arm are almost useless.
    I can tell you that there are absolutely no rules with MS. You may or may not get worse. There is no time span involved. Avoid stress and keep a low fat diet, exercise too.
    Many people are diagnosed and get no worse from then on. Others, like myself, are on a down escalator.
    I say exercise, but I used to compete in triathlons, climb mountains, do MTB mega rides, windsurf, fly hang gliders. etc. etc. exercise did me no good, but they say it helps.
    I hope your symptoms get no worse.
    Alf.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 1, 2006, 09:01 AM
    Student, as Alfie stated the severity of MS is different for every person diagnosed. If there is no family history chances of you being diagnosed with MS are slim. I will not say you will not get it. I had no family history of breast cancer and I got it. So to say you will not get MS is impossible for anyone but a doctor to say.

When going to your doc did you mention the numbness and tingling?

It is my opinion that you should make a doctor appointment and discuss these concerns you have. Only he can make an accurate diagnosis and/or put your mind at ease.

Jul 1, 2006, 05:32 PM
    Thanks for the info. Just curious, though, does anyone know of anything regarding the probability of me developing ms in the future? I know that I'll need an MRI to determine this fully, but basically what I'm asking is: What are the chances that, given my age, race, and gender, my optic neuritis is a sign that I will get MS in the future, and generally, how long would it take? I would like any opinions, from personal to skeptical to professional. Any info would be great.

Thanks
    Expert

Jul 1, 2006, 05:52 PM
    On this site we can only give opinions, even professional doctors cannot give you accurate advice without a visit to the office.

However, the fact that you have no family history is in your favor.

As stated previously, all the questions you ask vary from person to person. Some people develop serious symptoms while others show no symptoms at all.

The MRI and your primary care physician will be your best detectives.

Without seeing you personally and taking a lengthy history and physical it is impossible to answer your questions with any accuracy. I can only give the info that I know from your brief family history, age and current symptoms.
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Jul 1, 2006, 09:24 PM
    Hi Student,
    Just out of curiosity. Have the doctors made any attempt to rule out other underlying causes? Have you ever had a Lyme panel done? MS is the most common cause of optic neuritis, but given your lack of family history, it may be worth looking into other possible explanations as well. Optic neuritis is known to occur in children with Lyme, although the exact link or mechanism isn't well understood. I'm not at all sure the rate of incidence in afflicted adults though. I myself live in the most highly concentrated part of the US for Lyme, and have spent the past year recovering from a very bad chronic case. Tests confirmed, as I suspected, this was not my first exposure. Though I haven't had any major problems with my vision, I do get very dizzy throughout the day, particularly after eating even the smallest of meals. Shooting pains and numbness occur throughout my body periodically, but the ulnar nerve in my left hand had been a frequent target, causing problems in my outer two fingers. Lyme disease has a tendency to attack parts of the body with the best blood supply, and being right handed, initially, I lost most of the strength in my right arm. I have since regained it though. Just thought this might be something worth looking into, particularly if you spend much time outdoors as I do. Good luck. I hope you find the cause soon in order to get the best treatment. Please feel free to ask me any questions.

Jul 2, 2006, 08:00 AM
    Thanks for your concern.

I don't know if I've been tested for Lyme disease, but I have gone to a neurologist who took some tests and determined that I don't have any obvious neurological disorders that may explain my optic neuritis. Also, is it ever possible that the optic neuritis is just a one-time thing?

Thanks for your help!
    Expert

Jul 2, 2006, 09:49 AM
    Lyme disease is a definite possibility. Of course the possibility is high or low depending on where you live.

About the optic neuritis, check this out it may be helpful.

Jul 2, 2006, 05:00 PM
    Thanks for the info. It was a bit disheartening, though. Just that one diagnosis of optic neuritis nearly guarantees that I'll develop MS within 15 years. I guess its better to know than be left in the dark though.

Thx

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search