Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mmmbopdoodle Posts: 44, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2008, 12:58 PM
    Threatened miscarriage or misdiagnosed miscarriage?
    I've just recently found out I was pregnant, my period was NOT late yet, but I had light spotting and had high hopes so I took a cheap hpt and it showed up positive(My LMP was 10/20/08). The following day I went to the woman's clinic, I was confirmed pregnant. My OBGYN sent me to a lab for blood results and scheduled an u/s for next week. A couple days after seeing her, I started bleeding with cramping, my OBGYN told me to go to the ER immediately. By the time we got seen there I started clotting, they did several blood tests, checked my HCG level and performed 2 ultrasounds. They couldn't see anything in my uterus or around my tubes, they said it might just be too early (my hcg levels were only 91) The hospital also confirmed my pregnancy and said the bleeding is either a threat to a miscarriage, a normal early pregnancy or an early ectopic pregnancy. I went through a pad every 4-5 hours throughout the day and 1 a night. There was clotting and cramping and it feels like a period. The doctor said to come back to the ER in 36-48 hours so they can do another ultrasound and see if my HCG levels are going up or down. Has anyone went through something similar to this and everything turned out fine? How soon can you see a sac or fetus? How early can you hear the heartbeat? Maybe it was just too early too see anythingand the bleeding is nothing? I'm very scared. I have prayed and prayed very hard. When we went back to the ER they said my level went down from 91 to 51, is this normal? My cervix is closed and they saw no signs of a miscarriage but said I MAY miscarry.. I'm keeping my ultrasound appointment with my OBGYN in hopes maybe she can do another blood test and maybe they'll start to double. I've read online that with my hcg being that low I could just barely be pregnant? I have high hopes that maybe the ER misdiagnosed but its scary not knowing anything right now, and being an impatient person I'm driving myself crazy! Idk whether to be happy or sad right now, I get excited then I get devastated wondering if I'm miscarrying. My bleeding has lightened up and I still wear a pad but only go through one every 8 hours or so. I've bled since Wednesday morning. Has anyone had a similar situation?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 30, 2008, 07:45 AM
    Here is the correct levels of HCG according to pregnancy weeks.

Less than 1 week pregnant = 5-50
    2 weeks = 50 - 500
    3 weeks 100 - 10,000
    4 weeks 1,000 - 30,000
    5 weeks 3,500 - 115,000
    6 - 8 weeks 12,000 - 270,000
    12 weeks 15,000 - 220,000

Now, with that said, if you have not yet missed your period, your levels will be low, as shown above. Rarely, at this point, will anything be seen in an ultrasound. Implantation must occur first, and this is microscopic, and then a certain amount of growth of the fetus happens before anything is seen on ultrasound. The earliest I have ever seen anything on US is around 5 weeks, and this would be the egg sac, and a full bladder is required for this as a transvaginal US is usually performed.

the doctor said to come back to the ER in 36-48 hours so they can do another ultrasound and see if my HCG levels are going up or down
    HCG levels cannot be detected by an US. This is only done through a blood test.

How early can u hear the heartbeat?

Now, the heartbeat starts around 5 weeks gestation, but it takes quite a bit longer before we can hear it. Hearing the heartbeat depends on a number of things. Hopefully we can hear it around 12 weeks gestation with a device called an amplified dopplar. However, there are other things we have to take into consideration such as... the position of the uterus or the position of the baby within the uterus. The position of the placenta may also interfere with hearing the heartbeat at this stage, as well as the weight of the mother around the pubic bone. A layer of subcutaneous "fat" can deter us when trying to listen.

So, typically, around the 9th or 10th week we can actually begin to listen for a heartbeat, but please do not be disappointed if it is not found for the reasons mentioned above.

When we went back to the ER they said my level went down from 91 to 51, is this normal? My cervix is closed and they saw no signs of a miscarriage but said i MAY miscarry
    Typically, falling hormone levels indicate a miscarriage, however, this early into gestation the cervix does not necessarily need to open for this to happen. Many women fall pregnant and miscarry without ever knowing they are pregnant. This can account for "heavy periods" that are not normal.

We get concerned if you are soaking a pad an hour, so you are safe there. Some women do bleed in early pregnancy for reasons unknown.

Please keep us posted as to what you find out. I wish you luck.
    mmmbopdoodle Posts: 44, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2008, 01:44 PM

Thank u, your answer was VERY helpful, I'll know something later this week after they do another blood test
    Caramel31 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2012, 12:04 PM
    Do u think this could result in a normal pregnancy? Found out I was pregnant 3/19 had some very light pink spotting for 1 day no cramping hcg blood test it was 30 went for another blood test 3/21 83 had t/v ultrasound nothing seen another blood test 3/23 my level went down... my obgyn says ill probably miscarry or it could be ectopic pregnancy would they have seen that in an ultrasound? Im not having any cramping or bleeding if my level goes up then what? My lmp was 2/22 I believe I got pregnant btwn 3/5 and 3/7 don't know just trying to keep the faith due for another b/t 3/24

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Implantation bleeding or threatened miscarriage? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello all, I am about 5 1/2 weeks pregnant according to the doctor. I have had light spotting that differs in color for 8 days now. Only shows on tissue no pad needed. Doc has me on bed rest which sounded like fun... turns out not so much... I get to lay around and wonder if this is implantation...

Have I had a miscarriage? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Yesterday I asked a question on the women's health board regarding heavy bleeding 17 days after my 'normal' period. I got an answer saying that I could have had a miscarriage without knowing I was pregnant. I didn't take this to be true so much as a possibility however I have just examined...

Could this have been a miscarriage? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I just had a short question about a miscarriage.Well about a year ago one day I was laying down so my stomach started to cramp.So I went to the bathroom where I noticed some spotting.So I did not think anything of it.But then all of a sudden my stomach started to cramp really bad on my left...

Could I be having a miscarriage [ 2 Answers ]

I am 11 weeks pregnant, but have started losing brown discharge. I have been like this for 2 days. It has'nt got any worse and I don't have any pains. Could this mean I am miscarrying:(

View more questions Search