Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fathom5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2008, 08:04 AM
    401k withdrawl at 62
    I am thinking of retiring at 62 which is my early retirment age for S.S. Can I start withdrawl from my 401k at 62 without any penalties?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 29, 2008, 09:57 AM

That is something you have to check with your plan provider about, as each plan can have a different age limit for withdrawal without penalty. Mine is 59 and a half. Ain't there yet!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 1, 2008, 07:49 AM

If you are "separated from service" at age 55 or later, there is no early withdrawal penalty from your 401(k). So at age 62 you will not owe any penalty. You will of course have to pay income tax on your withdrawals.
    KOSHY2008 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2008, 09:09 AM

My company is liquidated no more in business I worked the same company last 6 years now I am unemployed I like to get my 401k money for paying my bill.HOW CAN I WINDROW MY 401K ?
    Expert

Dec 8, 2008, 07:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KOSHY2008 View Post
    My company is liquidated no more in business i worked the same company last 6 years now i am unemployed i like to get my 401k money for paying my bill.HOW CAN I WINDROW MY 401K ?
    First, you shouldn't piggy-back your question on top of someone else's - you should start a new topic instead.

Second, contact your plan administrator to find out how to take a withdrawal. Alternatively, it may be a better deal for you to transfer the account into a roll-over IRA, and then withdraw the money from there. Reason is that if you use the money for certain "hardship" purposes (such as to prevent foreclosure on your home) the withdrawal from an IRA does not trigger the usual 10% early withdrawal penalty, whereas withdawing directly from a 401(k) does. So, what specifically are you going to use the money for?
    debbee4kids Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2012, 10:20 PM
    At age 62can I withdrawal half my 401k and not have to pay back and will not owe any penalty.
    Expert

Apr 24, 2012, 05:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by debbee4kids View Post
    at age 62can I withdrawal half my 401k and not have to pay back and will not owe any penalty.
    Yes - assuming you are no longer an active employee of the company where the 401(k) is located. If you are still employed there you will have to ask the plan administrator whether at age 62 you are allowed to take an "in service" withdrawal - plans vary so they may or may not allow it. Also keep in mind that you will owe income tax on the withdrawal (federall as welll as state/local if appropriate for where you live).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k withdrawal after 59 1/2 [ 10 Answers ]

What do you pay in taxes when you start to withdraw funds from your 401k after 59 1/2 if you have no other income? Also, how much are you required to withdraw from your 401k after 59 1/2?

401K withdrawal [ 2 Answers ]

I am wanting to possibly withdrawl my 401K, which is about 13,000. I know that there are penalties and taxes, but approxiamately how much would I receive? Is it taxed when withdrawn or are the taxes paid at income tax time?

401K withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

My husband had his 401k accidentally mailed to our Georgia address. He was a legal resident of Tennessee at the time. I mailed the check to his TN address. No Georgia state taxes were taken out. He became a legal resident of TN on January 30th, 2006. Will he have to claim full, partial or none...

401k withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

The Big Lots store I have been managing the past three years recently closed. I wish to withdrawl my 401k contributions and I was wondering if I will be charged a penalty since the company closed my store and offered no transfer.

401k withdrawal [ 4 Answers ]

I am recently divorced and have to withdraw from my 401K in order to make a down payment on a house. I am also in the military and will be deploying to Iraq shortly. Question: If I cash in the 401K when I am in a tax free status (Iraq), will I still be taxed the 20% or just pay the 10% penalty?

View more questions Search