Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Crandette Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2008, 07:57 AM
    Sewage visible in basement floor drain
    My house is a 1920's downtown house, about 30 feet from the city sewer. Last year we dug out our basement by about 8 inches, so the floor is now 8 inches lower. The floor drain pipes (original iron pipes) crumbled during the dig, so all of the floor drain area was replaced, including a trap. We never had a problem before, but now we have a periodic smell emanating from the floor drain, and when I look inside, there is sewage visible. It is clearly resulting from inside the house, not back-up from the street. We wash it away by dumping buckets of water down the floor drain, and it is gone for another few weeks, but then it eventaully comes back again. We've had the pipes blown out to the street and checked by video, and are quite confident that there's no blockage. The floor drain water level does not rise. Is this a result of having 8 inches less of water pressure on the water in the trap? Is it a result we're going to have to live with, or could the drain plumbing be changed (yet again) to get rid of this annoyance? Thanks in advance for any advice!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 29, 2008, 08:27 AM
    we have a periodic smell emanating from the floor drain, and when I look inside, there is sewage visible. It is clearly resulting from inside the house, not back-up from the street.
    well something's putting backpressure on the drainage otherwise you wouldn't have poop popping up out of your floor drain. Unless you think the "poop fairy" drops around and leaves you a little present from time to time.
    Is this a result of having 8 inches less of water pressure on the water in the trap?
    I don't understand the question. You will only have 2 or so inches of water in your floor drain trap. Where does the 8 inches come from?
    Is it a result we're going to have to live with, or could the drain plumbing be changed (yet again) to get rid of this annoyance?
    My bet's on the design. You've checked everything else except the layout itself. Can you get your plumber to draw you a diagram of how he did the plumbing? We would like to check it out. Regards, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement floor drain sewage back up [ 1 Answers ]

When flushing my toilet, water and sewage is backing up out of my basement drain. What can I do to fix it? I put 25 foot sewer rod down the floor drain and still the same. What more can I do? I live in the city of Oshkosh, WI.

Basement floor drain [ 1 Answers ]

I recently purchased a 30 year old home in Fairfax County VA. It is a 2 story house with a basement. The floor drain in the basement is overflowing when the condensate from the air conditioner flows into it. I put a metal rod down and hit what feels like gravel. Would this drain go to the...

Sewage smell on 2nd floor shower drain [ 12 Answers ]

I have a shower on the second floor that has a foul smell. I have tried to put everything recommended through the drain with no luck. Can you please give me some advise?

Sewage smell in basement under 1st floor toilet [ 1 Answers ]

In our large unfinished basement a sewage smell that appeared for about the past 4-6 weeks. It localizes to the area immediately underneath the drain for the 1st floor toilet, although the drain pipe from the 2nd floor bathroom is only 12 inches away. There is mild staining of the otherwise dry,...

View more questions Search