Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    babyboxers Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2008, 04:44 AM
    Litter runt
    I am a new breeder & would like some experienced input. My female boxer just whelped her first litter. She had 8 total. The first born is the runt of litter. The runt is a female & is doing well. If I choose to keep this runt; Will she be of good breeding stock at age 2 years ? I also have heard that the runt is usually very intelligent; Is this true ?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 29, 2008, 01:10 PM

Here is some information on properly breeding your dog.

Breeding Your Dog

The fact that you're here asking these questions shows me that you didn't do your homework before hand. Did you have your dogs tested before breeding to see what traits they'd pass on to their offspring?

Please read the link and until you have followed everything that is advised in order to responsibly breed your dogs, do not breed further.

What you are doing is considered backyard breeding and is a growing concern in this country.

Anyone can breed a dog, it takes a professional to breed them responsibly.
    babyboxers Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2008, 06:31 PM
    Altenweg,
    Your comment a little harsh. The term backyard breeder is used to freely. I love my pets & consider myself very responsible. All of today's responsible breeders were once new breeders, as well.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2008, 06:34 PM

I had a runt.. she was very smart and lived a very long life.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 29, 2008, 06:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by babyboxers View Post
    Altenweg,
    Your comment a little harsh. The term backyard breeder is used to freely. I love my pets & consider myself very responsible. All of todays responsible breeders were once new breeders, as well.
    Yes, but they did their research before they started breeding, that's the difference.

You cannot just wake up one day and decide to become a breeder, you have to do your homework, invest your time and money to make sure that you are doing the best you absoutely can for the dogs in your care.

I'm sorry I was harsh, but if you see what I do every day because of people who just decide to breed their dogs, maybe then you'll understand why.

I could post pictures that would haunt you for the rest of your life, trust me, no one wants those images in their head, but they're in mine. Why? Because I feel it's my responsibility to know what goes on so that I can help put a stop to it.

New breeder, fine, but the fact that you have to ask such a simple question, well, that show's me that you aren't a breeder at all.

Please, do your homework, only the dogs will suffer if you don't.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 29, 2008, 11:20 PM

Why do you want to be a backyard breeder, when there are so many boxer specific shelters, and there are so many puppies getting killed every single day!? Probably 30 or 40 in the time it took me just to write this! It really doesn't sound like you have done enough research to be breeding, as mentioned above. If you love your dogs, love them all! They deserve your love too.

Your dog has had a litter. Get her spayed now! Do you know of the health problems (cancer and many more) when you keep on breeding them? If you don't know any of the answers to these questions, you shouldn't be breeding period! Watch this video, and see if you feel good about bringing more dogs into this world, without extensive knowledge on the breed.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/p...rs-285842.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Runt gerbil not looking well [ 2 Answers ]

I have a litter of 15 day old gerbils. Three of them are strong and healthy. Shiny fur, eyes still sealed shut, very active and try to chase after momma when she leaves them. The last however, is now a third of their, size, not much bigger then at birth, and doesn't seem to be growing. The size...

I've picked the runt [ 3 Answers ]

Please help I've picked the runt of the litter of kittens and I've heard bad things did I do the wrong thing?

I have a runt in the litter mum is taking it out [ 10 Answers ]

I have a runt in the litter it eyes opend to day, when we can back from from having are christmas dinner the mum dog keep dringing the runt out of the pack and putting him in the living room on the sofa and then in the kitchen she stays with it for a short while then leaves it I keep putting it...

How can I tell if the runt of my dogs litter is in trouble [ 5 Answers ]

We have never experienced whelping with our rott weiler. She had a runt that weighs half that of the other pups and is not moving as well. Is that kind of thing normal? And what kinds of things do I need to be aware of for the runt of the litter? Thanks!:cool:

Runt not Eating? [ 2 Answers ]

My cat just had kittens (January 13th); five beauties. Most of the kittens are doing well, but one kitty (Cloud) is just smaller than the rest. S/he doesn't seem to eat as much, is much more smaller than the rest in terms of weight, and is much more active (I think Cloud will also be the first to...

View more questions Search