Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bbrauner Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2008, 11:43 PM
    My middle adult son won't talk to me
    I raised my 3 kids on my own. When my husband left I had a small part time job and no college education. My kids were very young. 9, 7 and 3 at the time. I knew I had to do something and quick to make a living and take care of my kids. So I enrolled in community college and took a two year course that would help me make a life for my family and I continued working part time in the evenings. One month after graduating I found a great job and it supported my family. My ex did not provide child support and so it was tough at times making ends meet on one salary. But we managed. I knew my middle son was having struggles as he reached his teenage years and I did all I could to get him through it. He is a very smart young man. Extremely quiet. Occasionally he would sit and talk to me. I enrolled him in karate lessons and he really liked it. He stayed in karate all through high school. After graduation, he worked for a bit. He met a nice girl and they dated for about a year. Then they broke up. It seemed as though he took it really hard. He came to me with tears in his eyes and asked me questions about what I thought and really talked to me about how he felt. Then about 2 weeks later, he joined the airforce for 6 years without talking to me. Just came home and told me he had done it. Then about a week later he met this girl that he brought home without me knowing. Then within the next week they were married. My head was spinning. I didn't know what to think. I didn't know this girl at all. My daughter and son and I were really surprised.:eek: So now he is married and has 3 children. He's 26 now. I was there for all the kids births to help out and do what I could. Then a couple of years ago he calls me one morning and says Mom I'm getting deployed. His wife had just delivered their 3rd child and he was very concerned that she wouldn't be able to manage on her own with the 3 kids. I offered to have them come and stay with me while he was out of the usa. Long story short, they all came and stayed for about 4 months and then left. There was so much craziness that went on during that 4 months, I don't even know where to begin.I guess the worst thing that happened was when my son's wife tried to have my daughters boy friend come on to her while my daughter and I were at work. After that it was all down hill from there. While my son was gone, his wife experienced depression and had trouble with parenting. I really tried helping her as much as I could while maintaining my full time job. I tried to write my son letters asking him if he had any ideas on how I could help her. My daughter in law was fine with just me. We would do things together with the kids and all was well. But she was mean to my disabled son and his girl friend. She would yell at them. And she tried to say mean things to me about my daughter. It was the most stressful 4 months I have ever had to deal with. All this to say, now my son won't talk to us. Not just us, mom, sister and brother, but also his long time childhood friends. He doesn't talk to anyone. It's been since 2006. Just about 2 months ago he started emailing my daughter and he has called her a couple of times. I have been through hell trying to cope with this. I have had so many different mixed emotions. I go from anger, to concerned, to hurt, to deeply sad, to trying to understand, and back to anger. Right now, I'm stuck in anger and can't seem to get out of it. How can I let go of this and move on in my life? I feel like part of my heart is missing and it is starting to affect my other relationships. I need some coping skills. Thanks for listening!
    Ferghus Posts: 97, Reputation: -4

Nov 29, 2008, 12:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bbrauner View Post
    I raised my 3 kids on my own. When my husband left I had a small part time job and no college education. My kids were very young. 9, 7 and 3 at the time. I knew I had to do something and quick to make a living and take care of my kids. So I enrolled in community college and took a two year course that would help me make a life for my family and I continued working part time in the evenings. One month after graduating I found a great job and it supported my family. My ex did not provide child support and so it was tough at times making ends meet on one salary. But we managed. I knew my middle son was having struggles as he reached his teenage years and I did all I could to get him through it. He is a very smart young man. Extremely quiet. Occasionally he would sit and talk to me. I enrolled him in karate lessons and he really liked it. He stayed in karate all through high school. After graduation, he worked for a bit. He met a nice girl and they dated for about a year. Then they broke up. It seemed as though he took it really hard. He came to me with tears in his eyes and asked me questions about what I thought and really talked to me about how he felt. Then about 2 weeks later, he joined the airforce for 6 years without talking to me. Just came home and told me he had done it. Then about a week later he met this girl that he brought home without me knowing. Then within the next week they were married. My head was spinning. I didn't know what to think. I didn't know this girl at all. My daughter and son and I were really surprised.:eek: So now he is married and has 3 children. He's 26 now. I was there for all the kids births to help out and do what i could. Then a couple of years ago he calls me one morning and says Mom I'm getting deployed. His wife had just delivered their 3rd child and he was very concerned that she wouldn't be able to manage on her own with the 3 kids. I offered to have them come and stay with me while he was out of the usa. Long story short, they all came and stayed for about 4 months and then left. There was so much craziness that went on during that 4 months, I don't even know where to begin.I guess the worst thing that happened was when my son's wife tried to have my daughters boy friend come on to her while my daughter and I were at work. After that it was all down hill from there. While my son was gone, his wife experienced depression and had trouble with parenting. I really tried helping her as much as I could while maintaining my full time job. I tried to write my son letters asking him if he had any ideas on how I could help her. My daughter in law was fine with just me. We would do things together with the kids and all was well. But she was mean to my disabled son and his girl friend. She would yell at them. And she tried to say mean things to me about my daughter. It was the most stressful 4 months I have ever had to deal with. All this to say, now my son won't talk to us. Not just us, mom, sister and brother, but also his long time childhood friends. He doesn't talk to anyone. It's been since 2006. Just about 2 months ago he started emailing my daughter and he has called her a couple of times. I have been through hell trying to cope with this. I have had so many different mixed emotions. I go from anger, to concerned, to hurt, to deeply sad, to trying to understand, and back to anger. Right now, I'm stuck in anger and can't seem to get out of it. How can I let go of this and move on in my life? I feel like part of my heart is missing and it is starting to affect my other relationships. I need some coping skills. Thanks for listening!
    Sounds like she badmouthed everyone. This happens. In time he will realize how important his family is and will come back to you, if he really loves you. Time heals many wounds. You have not much choice but to patiently wait for him to come out of the shell he's shut himself up in.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I Need 2 Know EVERYTHING On Middle School! [ 12 Answers ]

Ok Im going 2 middle school in a week so I need help!! And can I get some tips on notes because I write vvvvvvvveeeeerrrrrryyyyyy Slow!! So can u help me? :( :( :( :( :(

Kid who won't talk for himself but will copy how other people talk [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I saw this movie years ago, on HBO, I never caught the name of the movie, and then the power went out, I never saw it again.. The movie was about this boy who was wouldn't talk or he couldn't talk. He could however copy peoples voices, and talk like them, exactley like them.. does anyone...

My adult daughter won't talk to me [ 9 Answers ]

Hi... I'm stressed as can be. My daughter who just graduated from college just moved home in May. She did it to save money before she plans to move to another state. However, she made my life and my teenage son's life miserable. (I'm a single mom). All I asked that she do is help keep the house...

Middle name [ 6 Answers ]

My sister has her names picked out (girl or boy) But we can't think of a middle name to go with Wyatt _____ Can you help

Adult Dog Pooping in the middle of the night [ 2 Answers ]

My 6 year old-mix (brittany spaniel/lab) started to poop in the middle of the night. She's been potty trained for years and usually scratches the back door to go out. However, lately, she's pooped upstairs (where she's not allowed). More recently, we've kept her in our bedroom to keep her from...

View more questions Search