Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bberge007 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2008, 01:38 PM
    Adaptation without lawyer?
    My wife and I just got married and she has a two year old. I want to adapt him but don't have money for a lawyer. The biological father doesn't think that the kid is his and has not taken any reposibility in raising him. The last time the father saw him was when he was 3 months old. The father's mother has called and talked to my wife a few times but now the phone is no longer in service. We went over to her house after our honeymoon and nobody was home. We left a message with an e-mail address, phone number and home address, that asked for the father to give his rights to me. We put on the letter to respond within 30 days. I don't think that they will and I'm not sure where to go from here.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2008, 03:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bberge007 View Post
    My wife and I just got married and she has a two year old. I want to adapt him but don't have money for a lawyer. The biological father doesn't think that the kid is his and has not taken any reposibility in raising him. The last time the father saw him was when he was 3 months old. The father's mother has called and talked to my wife a few times but now the phone is no longer in service. We went over to her house after our honeymoon and nobody was home. We left a message with an e-mail address, phone number and home address, that asked for the father to give his rights to me. We put on the letter to respond within 30 days. I don't think that they will and I'm not sure where to go from here.

Varies slightly from State to State, whether the father is on the birth certificate, etc. but the general rules are: you have to be in a stable marriage for over one year; father has to consent to adoption (and you cannot force him to do that. Of course, if he allows the child to be adopted he will get out from under child support); father may very well want DNA testing - if he is NOT the father then it's a whole other situation.

Does he pay support? Has there been an action for support? You could hurry this on its way by having your wife file for support, the father will probably demand DNA testing, if he's the father support will be ordered and in a year he very well may be thrilled to get out from under that obligation.

The father has no duty or responsibility to respond to you in any manner. You are, in fact, a legal stranger in this at the moment. "We" should be "She," referring to your wife.

You should have posted first, before you sent him the "30 days deadline" letter which is very likely to simply antagonize him and make him resist (if he chooses to do so) because your demand has absolutely no teeth.

Anyway, you can do nothing unless you have been married for a year. If you are considering abandonment, the father has not abandoned the child. He may not visit, he may not pay support, but that is not legal abandonment.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 28, 2008, 03:31 PM

The adoption process HAS to go through a court. A judge must approve the adoption.

Your wife cannot make any demands on the bio father, so your 30 day notice was out of line and has no legal standing.

The first thing you need to do is check your local laws to see how long you have to be married before you can file for adoption. Once you determine that, you can then check to see if there are forms that you can prepare on your own to file for adoption. I don't recommend that, because if you don't have an attorney draw up the papers you could get stung later on.

You have time to save up, so you can check on costs now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Looking for a lawyer [ 1 Answers ]

My mother-in-law recently died and her sons can not find her will. She had stated before she died that she had it all taken care of with a lawyer, but they can't find a name or business card. They did find something that said alliance for mature adults. They called a number but it was not in...

Bad lawyer [ 2 Answers ]

What can I do about a lawyer that we are very unhappy with?

Need a lawyer [ 2 Answers ]

I am being discriminated against by wv law courts etc.

Hit By Lawyer ! [ 4 Answers ]

Lawyer Backed Into Me At Block Buster; As I Was Dropping Off Video. Claims It Was My Fault. I Say He Was Negelant, He Did Not Make Sure It Was Safe Or That It Was Clear Before He Backed Up.

View more questions Search