Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    reid2001 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2003, 03:22 PM
    Algebraic Proof
    I'm working on a Thermodynamics question on Work Done during compression. The book gives proof for a formula but I can't seem to follow one step of it.

We are working with pressure,volume and temperature at different stages of compression. M is mass and R is the gas constant

basic formulas are P1V1=MRT1 or P2V2=MRT2 (1)
    and t2/t1=[(p2/p1)^(n-1)/n]=[(v1/v2)^(n-1)] (2)
    where n=index of compression for a polytropic process.

I'm not sure if you need this extra info because it is a regular algebra substitution problem that I have.

work done per cycle
    n/(n-1) (p2v2-p1v1)Which I do understand (3)
    n/n-1 mr(t2-t1) Which I do understand (4)
    n/n-1 mrt1{t2/t1 - 1}don't understand. (5)
    Are they dividing through by 1/t1 inside the brackets? And how does the t1 get tacked onto the mr?
    Is nmr(t2-t1)/n-1 the same as (4)?

After they get t2/t1 and mrt1 in the equation, they just substitute values from equation (1) and (2) to get 6 different forms of the main equation

i.e. n/n-1 mrt1[{v1/v2}^n-1 -1] or
    n/n-1 p1v1[{p2/p1}^n-1/n -1]
    so that's no problem
    I'm just not following the step from (4) to (5)
    I'm assuming it's not a book typo.
    Thanks for any help you can give me.
    Daren

reinsuranc Posts: 92, Reputation: 6

Apr 28, 2004, 10:31 AM
    Algebraic Proof
    Hi,

Start with equation (5). By multiplying through, you get equation (4).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Algebraic Equations Max and Min Problem Solving [ 17 Answers ]

Ms. Brown has 200m of fencing with which she intends to construct a rectangular enclosure along a river where no fencing is needed. She plans to divide the enclosure into two parts to separate her sheep from her coats, two perfect squars with right angles, river at upper portion of diagram. What...

Can some one proof read this THANKS [ 4 Answers ]

51-05-65 street Kingston, Britain 900-656-7013 Dear Aunt Selma, I am Ralph Smithbullet your nephew’s friend met on the island. When the plane we were on crashed land on a topical island. When I first met...

Proof of ownership [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I built a new house 6 years ago; we received a certificate of occupancy from our township . Do we need a title for the house or the COO is enough proof of the ownership?

Proof by induction [ 2 Answers ]

How can I prove the following? for any integer n>=1, {celling of } = (floor of lg n) + 1 thanks for the help

View more questions Search