Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mightyoil Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2008, 01:11 AM
    Cat lost ability to walk properly
    Our 17 year old cat recently stopped eating and can no longer walk very well. This happened very quickly. She still drinks lots of water and urinates frequently. In a matter of 1 day she can no longer jump up on our bed. Could someone offer any advice? Thank you
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Nov 28, 2008, 01:42 AM

She may have been hit by a vehicle? She may have had a stroke. Take her to the vet either way, sooner rather than later.

Nov 28, 2008, 09:07 AM
    She is an indoor cat. What are the options for a stroke. She does not seem to be in any pain
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Nov 28, 2008, 09:12 AM

Disorientation, confusion, loss of motor skills. Get some professional advice, please. The vet may not have good news for you, but better safe than sorry.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2008, 07:22 PM

At the very least, you must give your vet a call immediately. You will almost certainly have to take her in.

I don't want to worry you by saying the wrong thing, but these are often signs that star happening when a cat is nearing the end of its life. If I were you, I would be preparing her, and the family, for this very real possibility. I hope this is not the case, but considering her age, and knowing that this happened with all of my other cats in the days immediately preceding their death, you should be taking these changes very seriously. I sincerely wish you and your cat the best.

Nov 29, 2008, 04:54 AM

Thank you very much for that. We are realizing that her days are numbered. We have chosen to make her as comfortable as possible at home. We are sure that the stress that comes with a vet visit is not how we want her to go. And we feel that she would not survive such a trip. May all your prayers be with our cricket. And we pray she goes in her sleep.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2008, 09:28 AM

:( there is almost nothing harder than losing a beloved pet.

With my last cat, who passed away during the spring, we also decided that it would be best if he could be given the time and the peace of going naturally. We took him to the vet, and they gave him an IV and assured us that he was not in pain and that it would be okay for us to let him pass on his own.

We were given an IV to administer at home, which did a lot to help him feel better during that time. He had stopped eating, and the vet recommended that we give him watered down baby food through a syringe (into his mouth with the needle removed). I know it comforted him. Also, we kept a diaper under him while he slept in case he couldn't hold it, and he was able to sleep with us in our bed, between us as always.

Another thing that helped tremendously was keeping him with a water bottle, which we kept warm all the time. When a cat gets to a certain point, their body temperature can drop drastically, and this helped him from feeling too cold. He held out a few days, in which I was able to stay with him the whole time, and on Easter morning, we each said our goodbyes, and he passed away in my arms.

These are not easy things, but I know we did the right things by him.

I know that there are vets in some areas who will make house calls. Ours will come for the same price as an office visit, including 24/7 in case of emergencies. You might want to find out if you have a resource like that by you.

I am very sorry for all of you, but I am glad your kitty has led a long life and that he has someone so caring by his side. Best wishes to all of you.

Dec 3, 2008, 02:38 PM
    Thank you very much. She also lost her body heat so she decided that beside a heat vent was the place she wanted to be. She went peacefully two days ago with us by her side. Thank you for your concern.
    trmpldonagn Posts: 252, Reputation: 15

Dec 7, 2008, 05:26 PM

For Pete's sake, I can't read any more of these. I am very sorry to hear all of this. You too Linnea. My dog is the one who died in my arms. I'm sure my cat will go the same way.
    Mightyoil, this is like losing a family member to most people. Just in case, when Cricket has gone over that rainbow to wait for you, if you want, APLB.org is very helpful. Very helpful. It's for pet bereavement, etc.
    My prayers for Cricket if he's still here.
    (Crying for all of you over here! )

Give it a try. I did a couple of years ago... APLB.ORG
    TexasParent Posts: 378, Reputation: 73

Dec 12, 2008, 12:29 PM

Wait! Your cat may have Heptatic Lipadosis! Check her ears and the whites of her eyes, does her skin inside her ears seems yellowish, do the whites of her yes seem yellowish? If so, there may be hope.

Heptatic Lipidosis is a common ailment in overweight cats, and they can recover. It could be more serious and I would take the cat to a vet, but you can treat Hepatitic Lipidosis at home.

If you are still reading this thread post again and I will tell you what you need to do; all may not be lost.

P.S. Sorry, I didn't read your later post saying that she had passed, I am sorry to hear that. I know in a short time you will be celebrating her time with you on this earth and the silly things she did and the joy and comfort she brought you.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2008, 12:48 PM

Sorry for your loss mightyoil.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

All crashing down (psychic ability) [ 5 Answers ]

Lately I know I have the ability but I am being stalked by 3 or more entities that are just black masses. My girlfriend @$$ of an ex recently died in jail and he has been fueling this entire onslaught. He has physically attacked me by trying to push me down the stairs. I don't know I've tried...

Ability with food [ 1 Answers ]

Scientists performed an experiment to determine whether there is a connection between learning ability and food. They took two groups of 20 mice each, all from the same purebred strain. The mice were deprived of food for 3 days and then given a standard learning session in running through a maze....

View more questions Search