Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Beekie Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Jun 29, 2006, 03:53 PM
    12 week Husky pooping in cage
    I have a 12 week old male Siberian husky that continues to poop in his cage when he is left in there while I am at work. I usually arrange for him to only be in his cage for no more than 3 or 4 hours at a time. BUT even at that length of time I come home to him thrashing in his poop. I have briefly read about "Rescue Remedy"... but I am not sure where to purchase this. Any suggestions?? I am willing to try anything at this point!
    educatedhorse_2005 Posts: 500, Reputation: 78

Jun 29, 2006, 05:32 PM
    He is doing it to tell you he doesn't like to be left in his cage at all.
    They do not do well in cages.
    Have you tried putting up a kennel in your yard or maybe a small chain.

Jun 29, 2006, 08:37 PM
    Actually our other Husky does not mind being in the cage. And the one that poops in the cage does not mind it any other time than when he is in there for an extended period time and home alone. He sleeps for 12 hours in the cage, so I do not really think that is the issue.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2006, 05:41 AM
    Hi,
    A Husky is a working dog. Even though you have one that will stay in a cage for 12 hours, not pooping, you are very, very lucky.
    Working dogs need exercise, and I do agree with the other answer about having a doggie "run", or a back yard they can run in.
    Your Husky needs at least a brisk 45 min. walk, at least twice a day. A cage is no place for this type of dog. It would be much, much better for them both, to live outside, with a dog house, with some place they can exercise.

Here is some more information on crates:
    http://www.canismajor.com/dog/crate2.html
    Tips on Crate Training.
    Scroll down to "How do I get my puppy used to a crate?"
    "In the beginning, he should only be expected to stay in the crate for 2 hours at a time and overnight. During his periods out of the crate, your puppy needs plenty of playtime and attention. I like to give puppies at least an hour between crating periods where they're played with, loved, allowed to explore and romp. This burns off their boundless puppy energy and helps them understand that crating is only a temporary thing."

Your dogs are not getting enough exercise for their breed. They poop, due to being bored, not having a chance to do it anywhere else. They need to be "tired out", as that is their natural way. Being in a crate is not normal for these beautiful working animals. I do wish you the best, and good luck.
    Saluki-Sue Posts: 21, Reputation: 5

Jun 30, 2006, 02:52 PM
    Your crate may be to big for your little guy. He only needs enough room to turn around. Maybe you could put a divider up to make it a bit smaller, then move it back as he gets bigger.

Also he may not be getting empty when you take him out, watch your little guy when he goes out and if he doesn't go potty... take him in and crate him for 15 minutes or so then try and take him out again. Doing this will make sure he is empty and has a better chance of being clean in his crate.

Good luck
    educatedhorse_2005 Posts: 500, Reputation: 78

Jul 6, 2006, 08:29 PM
    Some dogs do belong on chains.
    I have seen a lot of dogs on chains.
    Siberian huskies jump and climb and they do dig a lot. They will not stay in a kennell look at all the dogsled teams. They are always chained up.
    If you don't now the breed do not try and tell someone who raises them what to do

Jul 7, 2006, 07:10 AM
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions. After moving his cage in a more "exciting place"(our screened in patio) we haven't had an issue with him having any accidents!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

10 week Rottie pooping in crate [ 3 Answers ]

I have seen lots of these questions and have tried everything (but the rescue remedy I read about) to get our puppy to make it to 3am. He has one place to poop outside (though sometimes just wants to play), we are always out with him and put him to bed around 11. We also have tried the talk radio...

6 month old boston terrier pooping in cage [ 1 Answers ]

My 6 month old boston terrier poops in her cage every time that we leave the house (not only does she poop, but she stomps on it and smears it all around the cage and on herself). It doesn't matter how we are gone, 30 minutes or 8 hrs! She never did this before - it just started last month when we...

My Husky will not eat! [ 2 Answers ]

I have an 8 year old Husky who was diagnosed with Blastomycosis a few weeks ago. My vet put him on Intraconazole. After a few days, he started eating a little bit of beef, porkchops and chicken. After a few days his appetite became a little better and would eat a few bites several times a day. ...

9 week old puppy pooping at night (in crate) [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. We have had our little mini-schnauzer for a week now. She is doing very well during the day, but night time is becoming a problem. She has started pooping 3 or 4 times at night... the problem is that she doesn't whine until she's already soiled her crate. Her last meal is at 5:00, and we...

Dog started pooping in cage after 1 month [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am new to this dog trianing thing. We bought a pug 5 weeks ago. He is 4 months old. The first month was perfect... no pee or poop ever in the crate. We this week he suddenly started to pee and poop in crate. The only thing I changed was his bed because he was eating the fur off the bed. ...

View more questions Search