Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 21, 2009, 03:51 PM

Starby, I know this thread is about dogs but you know me, I looked on the Edmonton Humane society webpage and of course I checked out the bunny babies. I'm posting a few of them here, if you don't want me to let me know, I'll delete it, start a new thread. K?

Attachment 16872

Amigo was adopted, but then returned for biting when being held on someone's lap. This type of behaviour is common in young adolescent male rabbits. Rabbits tend to feel most comfortable when on the ground, and can be fearful when on laps, or when held. Amigo needs a home that is willing to interact with him only at his level on the floor. People should let this rabbit approach them and not force interactions. Because of Amigo's history, he may do better in a home with older teenage children, or adults only. See the house rabbit society website for additional information and special tips for dealing with rabbits that bite. House Rabbit Society Rabbit Care Guide

Please consider giving Amigo a second chance!

Attachment 16873

Benjamin loves to dig and is very curious.

Attachment 16874

Volunteer comment: Timmy is very shy and likes to cuddle with his head tucked into your arm. He loves to explore and is very curious.

Attachment 16875

Hi, my name is Star and I have been here since October 20! I may seem a little nervous but I am a friendly little bunny who enjoys a good cuddle.

Rabbits are wonderful pets if you know how to care for them and handle them. Hopefully someone will give these little fur baby's a second chance at a forever home. I already have 4, trust me, if hubby would agree I'd be going there right now to adopt another, I'm thinking it would be Amigo, I know I could turn him around, I've dealt with tougher cases then him, Kilala and Thumper were both extremely difficult bunnies when we first adopted them, now they're both cuddle bunnies. :)
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Feb 21, 2009, 04:23 PM

Are you kidding me? Of course you don't have to delete it! Who do you think you are talking to here girl? Bunny wunney cutsey wutsey! :D
    Pets Expert

Feb 21, 2009, 04:27 PM

I want Amigo, I really do. Wiggy's in school right now, so we don't have extra money, but, I talked to him. If Amigo is still there in a month, well, he's coming to live with me.

Am I crazy? Don't answer that. ;)
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Feb 21, 2009, 04:31 PM

Back awaaayyy from the bunnies... slowly... slowly... nope don't look... no stop it... keep backing away! :p You know you will be kicked out of your neighbourhood right? ;) We need to get Alty a parental block on her computer! LOL!
    Pets Expert

Feb 21, 2009, 04:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by starbuck8 View Post
    Back awaaayyy from the bunnies...slowly...slowly....nope don't look...no stop it....keep backing away! :p You know you will be kicked out of your neighbourhood right? ;) We need to get Alty a parental block on her computer! LOL!
    There's no limit on bunnies, I can own a whole herd of bunnies, as long as I keep them clean, well housed, healthy (which I do) I can have as many as I want. Okay, I realize that my house is cramped, I have too many "pets" already, but look at Amigo, he'll likely not get a second chance because now he's been labeled a "biter". I know I can give him a good home, love, a second chance, how can I walk away?

Darnit, why do I look at the adoptable animals? Why? I never learn. :(

Looking for cheap useed bunny cages, yup, you can't stop me! :)
    Pets Expert

Feb 21, 2009, 04:40 PM

Hey, idea. Starby, you only have 1 dog, why not adopt a little beagle puppy and a bunny? Come on, you know you want to! :)
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Feb 21, 2009, 05:18 PM

I've got no room for bunny cages! :( But yes, you know I want to get a buddy for Nik. I'm trying not to look at the shelter pics for now, because I can't do it with my leg for at least another month for one thing. I also want to make sure I'm able to afford and take care of two after that's healed... and well... you know the other stuff. Lol If I could, I would gather them up and bring them all here to live with me! ;)
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Feb 21, 2009, 05:24 PM

Oh my goodness! Amigo is an absolute doll! I love lops. The best rabbit I ever had was a lop. Her name was Serendipity, Sera for short. Good thing I'm not seeing him in person or else I'd of carted him off already! ;)
    Pets Expert

Feb 21, 2009, 05:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxkit View Post
    Oh my goodness! Amigo is an absolute doll! I love lops. The best rabbit I ever had was a lop. Her name was Serendipity, Sera for short. Good thing I'm not seeing him in person or else I'd of carted him off already! ;)
    I could drive him over to you Silver, heck, I'll even litter train him first and get him used to humans. Just say the word, I'll zip off to the humane society right now. ;)

I've actually never had a lop eared. I have a rex, a lionhead dwarf, a lionhead/harlequin mix and a unknown breed aka Bunny rabbit. ;)

Lionhead dwarfs are extremely easy going, very tame, but I've had friends with lops that say that they're the easiest breed around.

I've never had a bunny that couldn't be "tamed". Our thumper was a troubled being when we got him, had been re-homed more times than most, had spent time on the streets fending for himself. The person that adopted him and then returned him did so because he fought with her other rabbit. He's a big love, my cuddle bunny, he just doesn't like other rabbits. He sits on my lap and watches TV with me. He likes to nibble on things so he has an old towel that's just his, he sits on that while he's on my lap, otherwise I wouldn't have any clothes without holes in them. He's a big sweetie. Want to see a picture? Okay, twist my rubber arm.

Attachment 16879

That's my little "troublemaker" Thumper. He's in his forever home, happy as can be. :)

Feb 21, 2009, 08:17 PM

Aw, he's a doll. Our current rabbit Petri can be difficult himself. He kind of only likes me for some unknown reason. He's a mix breed , half dutch/half lop. When he as younger one ear was floppy.
    Pets Expert

Feb 22, 2009, 12:14 PM

Silver, Petri needs a friend, he really does. Petri and Amigo, that even sounds cute. Come on, do it, do it, do it!

I'm an instigator. ;)

Fyi, I have 4 bunny babies, you can do two. ;)
    Pets Expert

Feb 22, 2009, 12:21 PM
    Just an update. The beagle puppy at the SPCA has been adopted. :)

I hope he went to a home that is aware of beagles and their behaviour, otherwise he'll be returned rather quickly. I hate not knowing where they end up. :(

Here's my little trouble maker Chewy, he ate my shoe yesterday, little stinker. :(

Attachment 16895

Feb 22, 2009, 05:22 PM

As much as I'd like too I really can't. We already have more then enough fur babies and with the addition of the new kitten we just adopted I've got a full plate.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2009, 09:42 PM

I am going all over the place to make room for the reps you all deserve, and I'm still falling behind! I'll keep on catching up, don't you worry.

so, alty, are you ready? AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!! Seriously, could he be any cuter? And about those shoes... well, you did name him Chewy. ;)

starby, this is an excellent thread.

so... I have something that might be related. It's kind of weird and I don't know where else to share it. I just came across something online when following a link about art marketing, and the link is actually for puppy sellers. I randomly clicked on one of them, and this came up:

"[names removed for traceability] pups 5 weeks old ready to go must see in person ear cropping available check [name removed] out on YouTube just type [name removed] pups start at 800 & up very Bully little monsters"

5 weeks old ready to go? Am I reading this wrong?

anyway, here's the ad: [link removed for traceability]

I zoomed in on the pics of the puppies, and the inside of the place looks like a garbage house. It looks like they're being posed for the pictures by the aid of a shoelace.
    here are three:
    [links removed for traceability]

and they're AKC registered?

I have a bad, bad feeling about this. Is there anything I can do?

EDIT: by the way, this was the original link: [link removed for traceability]

and this is a link to his name and one of the videos on YouTube. His YouTube name appears to be [name removed for traceability].
    [link removed for traceability]

I just found his second video. I just don't know. [link removed for traceability]

EDIT: while I'm very sorry to to it, I have decided to remove the names and links involved in this situation. I have filed a report, which could get back to them in some way. The original information has led me to what appears to be much more serious information, which has a high possibility of being gang related. For this reason, I'm instituting a little extra precaution, and I removed the names of the person/people involved so that this thread won't come up in an online search. I do have uncensored copies of this post, the pictures, the names, the links, etc. if you would like this information, you are welcome to send me a note via a private message. Thank you for understanding. Better safe than sorry. :P
    Pets Expert

Feb 22, 2009, 09:52 PM

Okay, update on some of the pets currently available for adoption in the Edmonton Humane Society.

I want to add, if anyone on this site is looking for a dog, bunny, cat, whatever, but can't find one in a shelter, let me know, I bet I can find you one, even if you have a specific breed in mind. :)

Here's a few for AW factor;

Attachment 16926

Jack is 5 years old, Male, collie smooth; Jack is anxious, and may take some time to adjust to his new home. Jack is well suited in a home with children of any age.
    All family members must attend adoption process to ensure best adoption match is made

Attachment 16927

Milo is two years old, male, JRT; Milo is classed as a HIGH ENERGY dog who will require regular mental and physical exercise. When he is relaxing he likes to lie down with a toy or something good to chew on but is always on the alert and ready to go!
    It is our reccomendation that Milo be placed in a home with children over the age of 16 years, with and an experienced owner and he does NOT wish to live with any cats!
    All family members and dogs living in the home must attend adoption process to ensure best adoption match.

Must speak with behavior department before viewing.

Attachment 16928

Peaches, 1 1/2 year old pointer/border cllie mix, female; Peaches is highly aroused, and may have a hard time understanding boundaries around small children. Peaches may not be tolerant of small children handling her.

Based on these behaviors, we recommend that Peaches go to a home with children 7 years and older.
    All family members must attend adoption process to ensure best adoption match.

Peaches appears to know sit and down.

Attachment 16929

Sadie, 10 month old Rottie, female; Sadie is sweet, but may have a difficult time understanding boundaries around small children. Sadie may play too rough for small children, and may compete with them for resources such as food and attention.

Based on these behaviors, we recommend that Sadie go to a home with children 7 years and older.
    All family members must attend adoption process to ensure best adoption match.

Anyone falling in love here? ;)
    Pets Expert

Feb 22, 2009, 09:56 PM

Linny, it looks like he's looped a rope around their necks to help them sit up. Many pups at 5 weeks of age still have trouble sitting on their own, especially larger breeds.

OMG! I don't know what to do, but I'm going to try to do something. This is definitely a backyard breeder, and one who doesn't even have the sense to wait until the puppies are weaned before selling them.

The only thing I can think of is emailing him, ask for info, then report him. The pictures alone are proof that he's not reputable.

This makes me so darn mad. When will people learn? Will people learn? Please tell me they will! :(
    Ana52408 Posts: 152, Reputation: 17

Feb 22, 2009, 09:58 PM

:'( omg! That is so sad WE HAVE TO PUT A STOP TO THIS!! How sad, I realllyyyyyyyy want to help every animal on the face of this earth be happy as we are helping them. They're all so innocent and voiceless of course we have to help! Tobby is one of my pups and my ex best friend from elementary brought it from columbia and then it peed too much and pooped around the house so before she took it to a shelter my family brought him in<3

He's so happy now imagine how misareable he could have been in a shelter! He loves to run around and play catch 24/7 he always lets the young ladies eat first and he is neutured and the other 3 girls are too. I think that's the best thing, lots of dogs suffer and die while having babies, I wouldn't resist that sadness in my life. I love my dogs, our first one destroyed my bed and me and my parents just laughed it off, obviously we told her it was wrong but we never harmed her because she's a PUP! That's what they do and we got her so she can live her life as the doggie she is! She's right next to me right now and she's snoring hehe its so cute.

BTW if any of you have seen marley and me, yeah that's the most beautiful movie I've seen in my life and yes I'm proud to say that I cried like a BIG BABY!

I would so help you alty, I'm down for anything as long as it's for helping an animal, even if its cleaning the poopie allllll around the farm :)

I'm pretty sure god will make your dreams come true because your making a huge change for something positive and soooooooo helpful and thoughtful<3
    Ana52408 Posts: 152, Reputation: 17

Feb 22, 2009, 10:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Just an update. The beagle puppy at the SPCA has been adopted. :)

I hope he went to a home that is aware of beagles and their behaviour, otherwise he'll be returned rather quickly. I hate not knowing where they end up. :(

Here's my little trouble maker Chewy, he ate my shoe yesterday, little stinker. :(

Attachment 16895
    Hahahah alty omgosh can I just eat him up!? He looks like the cutest thing on this earth mixed with a little trouble maker! Hehe he looks like he's looking for another shoe around the room! Lol my boyfriend wanted a beagle but I never found one, but I'm sure if he see's this one he's going to want to go all the way to canada to steal little chewy cause he's just so cute! Haha I love it :)
    Pets Expert

Feb 22, 2009, 10:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana52408 View Post
    hahahah alty omgosh can i just eat him up!?!?! he looks like the cutest thing on this earth mixed with a little trouble maker! hehe he looks like he's looking for another shoe around the room! lol my boyfriend wanted a beagle but i never found one, but im sure if he see's this one he's going to want to go all the way to canada to steal little chewy cause he's just soo cute! haha i love it :)
    Cute yes, trouble maker and then some, and yes, I think he found the other shoe, tis okay, it was no longer a pair anyway. ;)

Beagles are tough to deal with, very stubborn, very smart, but also one of the purest breeds out there. Not many beagle mixes, the bloodlines have been kept very pure, which is great but also means that the majority of beagles will need to be able to do the job they were raised to do in order to be well adjusted, well behaved dogs. Beagles are hunters, trackers, scent dogs, and if they aren't allowed to fulfill that side of their personality they can become aggressive, destructive and downright impossible to handle.

Chewy's in good hands though, he'll be starting agility training (something that will allow him to explore his beagle traits) when he's a year old. That's something I know he'll be good at, and will enjoy.

He's a love, adore him, and I have to say, even after eating my favorite shoe, all he had to do was look at me with those big brown eyes and I couldn't be mad. Heck, I think I passed him the other one, said "go ahead, it's okay". This could be trouble. ;)

He's the baby of the family. :)

Feb 22, 2009, 11:25 PM

It makes me so mad that people would sell a puppy that young and that there are also too many people stupid enough to buy a puppy at that age! One of the worse things I ever saw was an add for a puppymill for sale on Craiglist!! The guy showed pictures of his facility and while they cages might have been top of the line, they were still tiny and packed. I think he had over 200 dogs for sale!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Breed information,breeders= Dogo argentino [ 10 Answers ]

I've been hunting around for a large breed of dog for ages now. And I've come across a breed I find very intresting and amazing Its called the Dogo Argentino. I was wondering if anyone could help me out in finding a breeder that's somewhat close to me.. I live in The valley in NS and I realize the...

Backyard mud in dog pen [ 2 Answers ]

I have part of my backyard fenced off for my dog. She has worn down part of the area and now it is all dirt. It becomes a small mud pit when it rains. Any suggestions on how to fix this. Someone suggested filling the area with mulch. Has anyone heard of this?

Labrador Breeders [ 1 Answers ]

I have a beautiful 4 1/2 year old pure breed male chocolate lab. I am looking for a female pure breed lab in the Jacksonville area (or the surrounding area) that might be interested in breeding with him. Please let me know as soon as possible! Thanks!

Dog Breeders [ 2 Answers ]

I have been a large dog lover for many years and I was wondering if anyone knew of large dog dog breeders in ns... I've been looking for a rottweiler, pit bull, bull dog or boxer since the loss of my last dog... any help would be apprechated thanks in advance

View more questions Search