Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scout101798 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2006, 03:00 PM
    Desperate ! Dog won't eat!
    Please help.

I have tried... chicken and rice, beef and rice, "Frosty Paws", peanut butter, cottage cheese, vegetable beef soup, hamburger, canned dog food...

My 8 year old lab won't eat anything...

Please, If anyone has any suggestions, We will be forever thankfull.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 29, 2006, 03:07 PM
    First and foremost, call the vet ASAP! If this were a human baby you would not wait!

How long has this been going on? Does he/she drink? Active?

When this happened to my lab, who is now 3, she had parvo. The only symptoms were no energy and not eating. It is very important to get your pup to the vet first thing.
    scout101798 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2006, 03:12 PM
    My dog was diagnosed to be in the final stages of liver failure. His vet said the most important thing I can do now is make him eat. I have force fed him some chicken and rice... but I would love to find something to temp him into eating. He has already lost 30 pounds.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 29, 2006, 03:18 PM
    Oh, Scout, I am so sorry for you. My 3 pups are my non-human babies, it was so hard to watch the one go through parvo.

As for MAKING him eat, that is always harder said than done. I had to try that with a pup I had that had distemper. Didn't work.

If he is drinking I might recommend some gatorade to help maintain electrolyte balance.

Have you tried just putting some leftovers from dinner in his bowl? If he is end-stage then he does not have much time left since the liver actually assists the kidneys in detoxifying the system. So at this point I would just spoil him rotten with every kind of table scrap I could find. You may find one that tickles his fancy.

Be careful though not to give him something that is too fatty. This may upset his tummy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

A cat in desperate need of help [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 years old cat, male, 3.7 Kg, and his mother persian bread. 4 Days ago he startes to vomit every half hour, vomiting acompanied by Diarrhea. Every time vomit was yellow at first with a mucus then a white Foam. There were no signs of blood. The diarrhea was also frequent (45 Min -...

Desperate and confused [ 4 Answers ]

OK... well this all started last may... well a little before thst... mayb about last August... I starting going to a new church with my best friend... and I started an Affirmation class... and I really started to like this guy.. Eddie.. and we got to know each other better over the next few...

Desperate Help With Dogs [ 1 Answers ]

HI, My 2 almost five year old bichon frises REALLY need training. We brought them to training when they were little and then my parents ended that and now they have bad habits and do things on their own, and they have no disipline AT ALL. I have tried to do what I can, but it's really...

Desperate for answers [ 3 Answers ]

My cousin is currently planning to move from California to Hawaii to reunite with her husband and father of her ten year old daughter after a long separation. The couple had originally lived together in California, but after the separation her husband moved to Kauai, HI for an employment...

View more questions Search