Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    charles1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2006, 09:30 AM
    Back pain
    Last few days I had slight back pain (left hand side) I felt while I'm at office some angle while I am trying to turn I felt it. Is it affect of kidney? PLease advise.:mad:
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Jun 29, 2006, 10:09 AM
    As with all medical problems, "we" can give you best guess and that's all it is. Go see a doctor is the best advice.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 29, 2006, 10:54 AM
    Yes, you may want to go see a doc, best advice we can give, but I will try and help the best I can.

As you see in my signature I am only a nursing student, so in no way am I qualified to diagnose.

It is necessary to know exactly where the pain is: is it near the waist, around the ribcage, up near the shoulder.

Also, is it a stabbing pain, throbbing, or just dull and achy.

This may be nothing more than a pulled muscle or a pinched nerve. How long has this been occurring?

It could be more serious like heart condition or gall bladder. Unless there is fever involved it is not likely kidney.

Please make an appointment with your doctor if this persists more than 2 days.
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Jun 30, 2006, 06:36 AM
    Hi Charles,
    I agree with the other posts. I myself am a certified massage therapist, and again, in no position to make any sort of diagnosis. There are indeed countless possible causes of the pain you describe, though most of them likely fairly benign. I would venture to guess though it is likely not kidney pain. Kidney pain would be centered most closely under your ribcage, and in fairly close to your spine. Kidney pain though is typically quite intense in nature, and as the previous post states, generally accompanied by a low-grade fever. Ongoing kidney problems are typically accompanied by fatigue, and possible weakness as well.
    I agree, if it persists, increases in intensity, or begins to trouble you in any way, definitely consult your doctor. Any additional info you could give us might be somewhat helpful though.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 30, 2006, 07:01 AM
    Gall bladder is a common illness and through checking my references these are common symptoms.

Out of curiosity, do you eat a lot of dairy products and caffinated drinks?

Combinations of dairy and caffine can cause gall stones.
    31pumpkin Posts: 379, Reputation: 50
    -

Jul 2, 2006, 06:10 PM
    charles1 -

I hope that your pain has subsided by now &/or you have seen your physician.

I am taking a fair guess that it wasn't your left kidney causing the pain but rather a pulled muscle or pinched nerve in your back. I say that because not only would you have kidney pain but also very frequent urination (possibly with blood after a few days untreated, & fever after a few days also) And a kidney infection brings a deep visceral (organ) stabbing pain. Not likely something you only notice when you go to turn in a chair.
    I think the other poster was referring to gallstones.Gall bladder is unlikely.As are gallstones. Not for the left side. Gallbladder (on the right side near the liver) So with cholecystitis(inflammation of the gall bladder) Not only would you have pain in that area but one would have serious gastrointestinal pain.
    Now kidney or urinary tract stones are possible. I've seen/heard men saying the pain with urinary tract stones is equivalent to childbirth.
    So let us know how your doing. Hoping it wasn't anything serious!
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Jul 2, 2006, 07:40 PM
    I agree with 31pumpkin. Depending on the stage or nature of renal dysfunction, you may urinate copiously or very little, but either way, the urge to urinate would be frequent. The urine may also be clouded with protein. If you have serious and valid concerns about possible impending kidney problems, you could potentially have your blood albumin level checked. An xxcessively high albumin level in the blood can in some cases herald the early onset of renal failure, often many years before it would be detectable by other methods. It does sounds fairly likely that it's nothing at all that very serious though.
    In the case of gall bladder pain, it can in some cases also present itself in the upper right back, in between the shoulder blades, though tension in the rhomboid muscles in that area is quite common.
    Finally, I agree in that the pain would likely be quite unrelenting, not simply aggravated by movement.
    Hope you're feeling better soon. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pain in right side of back,hip [ 8 Answers ]

I have been experiencing a dull pain in my right side for the last two days, and it doesn't go away, even when I lay down... could this be a sign of appendicitis? I am getting an MRI done tomorrow for my lower and middle lumbar... will this detect that if that is what it is? Any answers?

Back pain [ 4 Answers ]

I have a crushed disk my doctor said that there is not much they can do except give me pain medication but I don't like to take persciption so I avoid dowing so if anyone has any ideas on how to relive the pain naturally it would be very helpful

Neck and Back Pain [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone I'm a 20 year old male and for the last 4-5 years I've been suffering from neck and back pain. About 5 years ago, I was involved in a car accident. My dad was driving me and my bro to my cos's house. The day before, there had been a major snow storm. We were travelling on the high...

View more questions Search