Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    johnfinn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2008, 05:27 PM
    Labor rights: Hourly employee or contracted?
    Hi,

I would like to know if I am an hourly employee, or an employee working under a contract.

I am an instructor at a vocational school in NJ. At the start of each quarter, my employer has the faculty sign a "work agreement". This work agreement structures our pay based on the number of hours we work in the classroom. It states that we are responsible for some out of class duties such as preparing lesson plans and attending meetings. There is no paid time off and the agreement states that there is no guarantee of employment. However, if we miss a class, we have to submit a timesheet and those hours are deducted from our paycheck.

All payroll taxes are withheld from our paychecks and we are issued a w-2 form at the end of the year.

In between quarters, the school closes for a period between 1 and 3 weeks and I have been told that I cannot apply for unemployment because I work under contract.

HELP!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2008, 05:38 PM

I would say you are employed by them since you use a W-2 and not a 1099

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hourly labor laws [ 1 Answers ]

I work for a faily large body shop that has all four estimators on a set salary. As of 01/02/08 we are told we have to go to hourly rate. And was told it will be calculated by our old salary for 12 months divided into hours. We also currently get no vacation... my question is one of several for...

Can I Take An Employee from Salary to only Hourly [ 1 Answers ]

We have an employee who exhausts her salary pay by only getting less than lets say 32 hours or more sometimes a week. She is nonexempt and gets overtime for anything over 40 hours. She has assistance on the overtime and never does it alone. Can we change an employee from salary to hourly only.

Labor Law in New Hampshire, Salaried vs Hourly [ 3 Answers ]

My question is: If an employer put someone on salary,(supervisor/manager), can that position be taken away from him/her for no reason given? Can a salaried person have his salaried position taken away and put on hourly wages if he/she has had that salaried position for more than 2 years?

View more questions Search