Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lrwilkins Posts: 48, Reputation: 2

Nov 26, 2008, 03:42 PM
    I Have A Black Thumb
    Even though I water my plants, they still die. What type of plant can I get that will be hard for me to kill?
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2008, 03:47 PM

In my horticulture class we learned that the number one cause of killing plants is over watering. Are you giving your plants too much water?

To answer your question; devil's ivy, african violet, spider plant, mother-in-law's tongue, cactus, and english ivy, to name a few.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2008, 07:19 PM

African violets are not in the hard to kill variety, sorry. And you can overwater and kill them very easily. Also cactus are easily killed due to overwatering also. The others you listed Zoe are idiot proof.

If you like, you might try buying the dish gardens available for sale. They usually do pretty good. You should be sure that your plants get plenty of sunlight though. This could really be the crux of your problem and not the overwatering.
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2008, 07:22 PM

A weed, best of all they're free
    Uber Member

Nov 27, 2008, 11:46 AM

I was thinking of ficus trees - the ones you keep inside. Other than cold, you can't kill them by overwatering. They are indestrictible and grow very quickly. Don't know where you are located, but if kept indoors and given a lot of light during the spring and summer months and then taken back indoors during fall and winter when under 40 degrees you will find they do just dandy.

If you can't find ficus trees, ficus bushes grow just fine as well as above.

Nov 30, 2008, 08:46 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have tried before to follow simple directions that came with my plants. I will consider what you all have suggested.

Thanks Again
    tequilarise Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2008, 08:47 PM

I have the best answer!
    A plastic plant! It will never die.
    I promise :)
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2008, 04:16 AM

Hi again, lrwilkins!

Years ago, I used to have what I would consider to be a "black thumb". But, you now what, everyone can grow plants successfully if they know everything that they need to know about the care and maintenance of the plants.

Over the years, I've gotten whatever gardening type of books that I can from thrift type stores and research on the Internet for information about plants.

Joining a local horticulture club and also taking a Master Gardener course can be very helpful, if such things are available around where you live.

If you love plants and want to have them in and around your home, then it just takes active learning practice to nurture and maintain them, as long as they're plants that can thrive in the environment that you have and/or that which you can provide for them.

Because of certain conditions in and around my home, I know that there are certain plants that just can't survive well here. But, I needed to do research in order to know that.

As far as houseplants are concerned, here's a list of some that are relatively easy to grow and hard to kill that might grow in a number of different environments.

Ivy - many varieties available.

Spider plant

Wax plant

Snake plant – Also called the mother-in-law plant.

Aloe

Wandering Jew

English Ivy

The list could go on, but that would at least be a start of one.

Thanks!
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2008, 02:10 PM

Get a yucca. They're so hard to kill it's amazing. They can subsist on limited light and water or way too much and keep right on living.
    susananne Posts: 94, Reputation: 6

Jan 2, 2009, 01:27 PM
    Twinkie... Ficus are very hard to keep... anyway... try wandering Jew or philederon... they are hardy and in the no kill zone... good Luck
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2009, 05:23 PM

Susanne - sorry to disagree with you but ficus are extremely hard to kill if kept as an indoor plant up north. Water and light is all they need. I've had them for years and know they are indestrictible. Outside in the ground they grow like crazy and are super impssible to kill.
    susananne Posts: 94, Reputation: 6

Jan 3, 2009, 08:52 AM

I am glad to hear you have had no problems with them.. I am a landscaper and have a degree in horticulture.. I.. in my opinion, would never recommend a ficus to someone who has a hard time growing. They drop leaves for no reason.. too much light will burn them, and too much water will give them root rot. But.. thanks for your input.

Jan 5, 2009, 08:24 PM

Thank you all for the great advice and suggestions. I have learned a lot from you guys.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thumb Piano [ 29 Answers ]

I took a craft class in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma a few years ago and purchased and painted a Thumb Piano. It only has 8 keys and the board is solid wood, not four sides with sound opening. Very simple in design. I have searched trying to find how to order more but all I see are made from either...

Still sucking her thumb [ 4 Answers ]

My sister has a 10 year old that still sucks her thumb. :eek: Any suggestions on how we can break that habit?

Thumb sucking [ 5 Answers ]

My friend who is almost 29 (next year) she still suck her thumb most of the time when sitting watching television. Why is that?

Thumb Sucking [ 8 Answers ]

All of this talking about Aidan has made me think of a question I have been wanting to ask. How do I stop him from sucking his thumb? He has never been fond of pacifiers, but he loves his thumb. His thumbs are already all dried out and chapped from him doing this. My sister was a thumb sucker...

Thumb sucking [ 5 Answers ]

What should I do to stop my daughter from sucking her finger...

View more questions Search