Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cacevedo Posts: 62, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2008, 12:24 PM

Well I'm going to run it the rest of the week and then I'm going to undo the return line and see what happens. If some improvement then I will redrain all of it.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2008, 12:28 PM

That's about all you can do. If you think it may be really sludged up, look into Auto-Rx. It is an ester-based product that will safely clean engines and transmissions. Check it out online. I would give the Mobil 1, first, a chance.
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2008, 12:41 PM

Keep in mind that you changed less than half of the fluid last time. Having all of it changed may affect internal hydraulic pressures, so that it will shift properly.

I dropped and cleaned the pan, installed a new filter, and drained the torque converter on a buddy's F-150, with 185,000 miles on it, several months ago. Before you could not even feel it shift; afterwards, it shifted like a new truck. I used Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. He still can't get over the difference.

Dec 2, 2008, 02:08 PM

So with the Auto-RX should I get the one for Tranny?
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2008, 02:11 PM

I would only Auto-Rx your tranny, if the current "game plan" doesn't work. There's no guarantee even Auto-Rx will solve the problem--it could be something more seriously wrong with it.

This is why having a good preventive maintenance program, where you use the best lubricants right from the start, is the best (and cheapest) way to go. As a records supervisor, start a Maintenance Log on each of your vehicles. Just have Date, Mileage, and Maintenance Performed. Look at it regularly. I keep mine on Microsoft Word--it makes it very easy to stay on top of things. It turns it into a game.

Dec 2, 2008, 02:25 PM

I do keep a record on the cars, but since we just got this one I'm going to create one this car too. Yeah I'm going to do the other draining through the radiator and then my last result will be to do the Auto-Rx. So I'm wondering by the end of the week the Mobil 1 that I put in will have at least work its way through some of the tranny. Well I guess it looks like another Sunday of working on cars. So my first step: Drain fluid from radiator hose, now should I drain it out of the tranny again too? I already know to disconnect the battery cable overnight. (neg)
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2008, 02:30 PM

At this stage, I don't think you need to disconnect the return line from the radiator. I would just drain it again and refill it. That should be more than good enough to see if the old ATF was responsible for poor shifting.

If you decide to Auto-Rx the transmission, they don't recommend using it with synthetic ATF. Auto-Rx prefers conventional ATF. Afterwards, you can certainly use your Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. You just need to reflect on whether you believe sludge/varnish could be responsible for the poor shifting or whether there's something fundamentally wrong with it.

Dec 2, 2008, 02:39 PM

k, will do it this Sunday. Now I noticed when we got the Mobil 1 they had 2 different kinds one was Mercon and the other was for import cars. The guy at Autozone said it didn't matter what one we used.
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2008, 02:44 PM

I would also take a battery squeeze bulb (turkey baster) and partially change the power steering fluid on each car. Your Saturn can use Valvoline SynPower Power Steering Fluid, which is a partial synthetic. It's approved for GM applications. On your Honda, use only Genuine Honda Power Steering Fluid. Power steering gear and rack assemblies can run $2,000 if they go. With the mileage you put on your cars, this area should not be overlooked.
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2008, 02:47 PM
    This is the one I would use:

Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF

I'm not familiar with the one for imports. Always check the car manufacturer's requirements with the fluid you are buying. I would never rely on auto parts clerks, quick change outfits, or most mechanics for advice on lubricants. I can't believe what I've heard over the years.

Dec 2, 2008, 02:52 PM

This is the one I used, but I did notice the other kind Mobil 1 - Mercon V.
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2008, 03:01 PM

It is Mercon and Mercon V approved. Ford specifies Mercon and Mercon V. My 2000 Ford Taurus requires Mercon V in the transmission. I use the Mobil 1 product in the link. On Fords, you can use the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF in the transmission and the power steering unit, which I do.

Dec 2, 2008, 03:07 PM

I know when the guy at Auto Zone told me it doesn't matter which one you use, I was like oh no, he doesn't know what he's talking about. It stated on the back of the ATF Jug for Hondas
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2008, 03:11 PM

Most of these guy don't know what they are talking about, unfortunately. Best thing to do is check your Owner's Manual, or possibly transmission dip stick, and see what's specified.

It sounds like you are fine.

Dec 2, 2008, 03:14 PM

The car didn't come with the owners manual so it's a hit and miss situation. I looked on eBay to purchase one, but nothing yet.
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2008, 03:18 PM

This link, then, should help you:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post219991

Dec 4, 2008, 09:45 AM

So for the Oil in both cars "Honda & Saturn" use 5-30W Mobil 1? So then I won't need to change the oil as often as I do now. I change it every 3000 miles, but this is a quaker state oil.
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2008, 09:49 AM

Correct. Change it every 6,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. I would also recommend that you use one of the premium oil filters that are on the market; e.g. Purolator's Pure One or the Mobil 1 filter. They have a synthetic filtering medium that filters to 10 microns, rather than 20-30 microns on regular filters. It's not necessary but, if you can get them on sale, it's definitely worth it in the long-run.

Chemistry has a lot to do with properly maintaining a car. Synthetic oil consists of "designer" molecules, precisely engineered for the application. Conventional oil consists of oil molecules of an assortment of sizes and shapes. The light molecules evaporate or oxidize first on conventional oil, which are burned in the cylinders or begin to contaminate the emission system. Since synthetic oil molecules are the same size and shape, they have less friction and are much more chemically stable at high and low temperatures. It's like marbles of the same size versus varying size. All military and commercial jets only use synthetic turbine oil--there's a reason for it. Since the chemistry of synthetic oil is much more stable than conventional oil, service intervals can be safely extended. In Europe, where many drivers have used synthetics for years, the average drain interval is 10,000+ miles.

Similarly, using the proper antifreeze and distilled water affects the car's ability to cool--again, it's chemistry. Distilled water is pure and doesn't have minerals, which will buildup and block the radiator. The wrong antifreeze can attack gaskets and metals in the engine and cooling system. Huge damage can result. I can go on and on from brake fluid to grease. You get the picture.

Dec 4, 2008, 10:25 AM

k, will do. So now I have another Sunday of working on cars.. Yippee..
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2008, 10:34 AM

Using synthetics will reduce your time taking care of your cars by a lot. Synthetics in the engine and transmission should increase gas mileage by 8 to 10%.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1991 Honda Accord Headache [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1991 Honda Accord Station Wagon that I just purchased less than a year ago. I was driving down the road and my interior lights dimmed, then all gauges dropped to zero. My headlights began to dim and the car began sputtering as if it was not getting enough power. Battery was bad, replaced...

1991 honda accord has low idle [ 2 Answers ]

When engine is cool it has a problem starting up and when you get it started sometimes the rpms will jump down and cut itself off, the check engine is on, and when you turn on the air conditioner the rpms will drop down to 200 - 300 rpms already had to adjust the regular idle because of the low...

1991 Honda Accord [ 1 Answers ]

My 1991 Honda Accord EXR seems to have a problem with the torque converter not locking up. You can tell because at 100k the RPM is at about 3000rpm and once the car gets warmed up (about 1/2 hour of driving) the RPM drops to about 2600rpm and you can tell the converter is locked in. Any ideas of...

View more questions Search