Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2008, 01:08 PM

I always wanted my son to be interested in working on cars, but it wasn't to be.
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2008, 01:11 PM
    I used to live in the Santa Monica mountains, just north of Malibu. I still miss the place a lot. I have to come out and get my "fix" regularly.
    cacevedo Posts: 62, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2008, 01:11 PM

Yep it's a good trade to know. Especially when you go to a dealership and they tell you some outrageous price on a repair and the majority of the cost goes to labor.

Dec 1, 2008, 01:12 PM
    What made you move to Texas? You heard about all of the fires they have been having down south? Crazy

Dec 1, 2008, 01:17 PM

You got that right. I use to live here in the bay area closer to work, but the price of housing here is horrible, so that's why I moved to Modesto and bought a house, but this was before the economy got so bad. If only I could find a job here in modest to pay me what I get paid in the bay area it would be a life saver.
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2008, 01:19 PM

L.A. traffic is brutal on cars. I used to work on Wilshire Blvd. and remember only too well what it was like.
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2008, 01:29 PM

With the price of labor these days, you can't afford not to use synthetics.

Dec 1, 2008, 01:52 PM

Yep the Labor is something like $65 t0 $75 an hour and that's if you are a return customer and you know someone.
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2008, 02:03 PM

Usually $100+/hour.

Dec 1, 2008, 02:12 PM

Either way it goes you got to pay the $$$, Just like DMV and the Court house. Something you can't get out of paying.

Dec 1, 2008, 02:14 PM

So since I put the 5-30w in this weekend I shouldn't change it for 6,000 miles or 6 months? The reason is because this is a much thicker oil.
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2008, 02:15 PM

With the helps on this site, you can keep a car going strong for 250,000 to 350,000 miles and not spend much money doing it. At most games, you win by playing good defense. It's the same thing with the game of life.

Dec 2, 2008, 10:14 AM

Update: Well on my way home last night it seems like the car was still doing the same thing it was doing before I drained the tranny fluid. On the way into work it seemed fine, but I think after it gets warmed up/stop-n-go traffic it starts the same old act. When I drained the tranny fluid I just drained it from the tranny and not the radiator lines, would this have something to do with it? I didn't do the brakes yet either, will do them on Sunday. Since the plug was so dirty I might have to see if this tranny has a screen and clean it now huh? I hope not.
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2008, 11:22 AM

I would drive it more and see if it improves. It may have been somewhat sludged up. Driving it may help dissolve any varnish and sludge that developed. Internal hydraulic pressures may improve, over time, and it will start shifting better.

Dec 2, 2008, 11:29 AM

Okay, but its not going to hurt anything. I usually drive it 2 days and then drive the Saturn 3 days. So I should drive the Honda the rest of the week then?
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2008, 12:05 PM

Go with your gut, but I would try it.

Dec 2, 2008, 12:10 PM

I'm going too. I'm going to drive it the rest of the week, by letting it sit at home its not going to mix the new tranny fluid up and run through it. I see you are a pretty busy guy on here. I saw all of the other answers you give out too. It must be a full time job for you.
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2008, 12:17 PM

Dropping and cleaning the pan, changing the filter/screen, and replacing the fluid is all most people can do to maintain transmissions. If it's beyond that, you are locking at a big repair bill.

Dec 2, 2008, 12:18 PM

I forgot it doesn't have a pan.
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2008, 12:20 PM

Your's just has a housing--no pan. I think all you will be able to do is to drain it again or undo the return line from the radiator and flush out what's in the converter and lines. After what you've done, I would just drain the housing again, refill it, and let it go at that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1991 Honda Accord Headache [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1991 Honda Accord Station Wagon that I just purchased less than a year ago. I was driving down the road and my interior lights dimmed, then all gauges dropped to zero. My headlights began to dim and the car began sputtering as if it was not getting enough power. Battery was bad, replaced...

1991 honda accord has low idle [ 2 Answers ]

When engine is cool it has a problem starting up and when you get it started sometimes the rpms will jump down and cut itself off, the check engine is on, and when you turn on the air conditioner the rpms will drop down to 200 - 300 rpms already had to adjust the regular idle because of the low...

1991 Honda Accord [ 1 Answers ]

My 1991 Honda Accord EXR seems to have a problem with the torque converter not locking up. You can tell because at 100k the RPM is at about 3000rpm and once the car gets warmed up (about 1/2 hour of driving) the RPM drops to about 2600rpm and you can tell the converter is locked in. Any ideas of...

View more questions Search