Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    memphische Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2008, 08:47 AM
    i am connected to my router but not the internet
    help!

I had to format my hard drive and reinstall windows xp. I only had a sp1 cd, I am currently trying to get sp2 to install.

I have reinstalled the drivers for my acer travelmate 2420

my wireless network adapter is atheros ar5005g wireless network adapter

I also have a realtek rtl8139/810x family ethernet fast ethernet nic

my router is wep enabled netgear dg8349

I cannot ping my router or perform ipconfig /renew (nothing happens the curser in command prompt just sits on the next line and I cannot type further) but /release does work

in repairing network connection it says cannot renew the ip address

I am currently reading the wireless connection as connected, very good-on support tab it says

automatic private address
    ip ad - 169.254.21.137
    subnet mask - 255.255.0.0
    default gateway -

here is my ipconfig /all

host name... che-500
    primary dns suffix...
    node type... unknown
    ip routing enabled... no
    wins proxy enabled... no

ethernet adapter local area connection :

media state... media disconnected
    description... realtek rtl8139/810x family ethernet fast ethernet nic

physical address... 00-0a-e4-f6-fc-fa

ethernet adapter wireless network connection :

connection-specific dns suffix...
    description... atheros ar5005g wireless network adapter

physical address... 00-16-CE-17-D2-05
    Dhcp enabled... yes
    autoconfiguration enabled... yes
    autoconfiguration ip address... 169.254.21.137
    subnet mask... 255.255.0.0
    default gateway...

I have managed to access all this info from troubleshooting and searching Google but I have little idea what it all means. I am a fast learner and can follow instructions... can anybody help me get my laptop back online?
    CubFanAl Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2008, 09:15 AM
    Quick thought... can you borrow another wireless enabled machine to check and see if will see the router?

Also if you plug a LAN cable into the machine and connect it that way does it work?
    CubFanAl Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2008, 09:21 AM
    Follow up thought... your computer is seeing the LAN only, of course. Are you sure that your internet connection is working? Stranger things have happened. Pardon me if I am misunderstanding but you do not say anywhere if you are able to get out on the Internet with another machine on this network. Are you on DSL, cable or what? I would really try and get another computer to see if the WAN is functioning... ya never know. Also try a physical cable connection. Good luck.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2008, 09:23 AM
    Your laptop is obviously not getting an IP from the router so I doubt you are indeed connected to your internal network (which would be an 192.168.0.xx number). Make sure the laptop does not have a static IP set. Make sure your wireless adapter is turned on and seeking wireless connections - does it announce that networks are in the vicinity (like this)?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 26, 2008, 09:24 AM
    Your problem is you are NOT picking up a useable IP address.
    The 169.254 addy is non-routable and as such unusable.

Check the DHCP settings on your router to ensure they are enabled correctly.

You should be getting a 192.168.x.x address.
    memphische Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2008, 09:44 AM
    Thanks for the replies-

I have just installed sp2

I now get info limited or no connectivity cannot renew ip

I am online now with my iPod touch which works fine as does my housemates laptop

The person who managed the Internet has recently moved and I am having trouble accessing the router- I am awaiting the log in details.

Further to that

I have no idea how to check static ip or dns

My wireless dtects networks and when I chose ours netgear 101 I enter the wep key but cannot connect

How do I get a usable ip?

(when I said dns a few messages ago I meant dhcp!) thanks for your help!!

OK I can now access the router - what do I need to do to get this sorted?
    theecho Posts: 59, Reputation: 9

Dec 15, 2008, 10:43 AM
    First check and see if you have a static ip.

http://www.qwest.com/internethelp/op...tIPinTCPIP.pdf

Instead of the local area connection make sure that you check the wireless connection.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unable To Connect, Yet Internet is Connected [ 1 Answers ]

Note: I have Windows Vista & snippets kthx. c: ] Okay, so this problem has been up since last night. I was watching a movie and after I finished, I forgot to take out the disk (a mistake on my part), and downloaded shock wave player for this website. Well the thing never downloaded...

Connected to wireless router but no internet [ 2 Answers ]

I am running windows XP home on my notebook. My wife's desktop is connected through the router via and eithernet cable. I can see and connect to the router, but cannot get internet. I keep getting the work offline screen. Please Help. Michael

Sometimes I can't get connect to the internet even though I'm connected? [ 2 Answers ]

I have two connection questions for two different wireless connections. I have a couple of internet connections I use and but sometimes I connect to one and it shows me connected but the packets are not receiving? They are sent but not receiving. I believe that is the problem with that...

PC reboots while connected to the internet [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there, Just wondering if you can help me. I notice you have several questions regarding PC's spontaneously rebooting for no apparent reason. My PC also does this but only when I am connected to the internet. It can occur any time after connection - 10 minutes or an hour but generally...

View more questions Search