Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2008, 07:15 AM
    Baby Recipes!
    Hi! My baby boy is due January 1st of 2009 and I am starting to collect baby food recipes. This way when the time comes I will have a good collection. Please share if you know any.

Also, I am looking for a good carrot cake recipe. I had a good one that I made a few times but I lost it. Even bread recipes are welcome too, i.e. banana.

Thanks
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2008, 07:24 AM
    Well, first of all, congratulations!

I think it is great that you want to make your own baby food. That is what I did and now my daughter is a great eater. I don't know what I would do with a picky eater! :)

Anyway, I got a book by Annabel Karmel named "First Meals". It is really great. It is broken down by age groups starting at 4-6 months going all the way to 3-5 years.

In the beginning, I either boiled or steamed my fruits and veggies. Depending on what it is, you can then put it in a food processor, with some of the liquid used for the cooking process, until it was puréed. Then you can put your food in ice cube trays and freeze them. Pull out what you need, when you need it.
    When you are introducing food - I would recommend starting with the green veggies. They are less sweet. We all have a natural sweet tooth, so if you start with something sweet and then try peas or green beans, baby may not eat them at all.

I have all kinds of recipes for baby food, so if you want something specific let me know.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 26, 2008, 07:33 AM
    And don't forget... Add a new food every week, not more often. This way, if there is a food allergy it is easier to pinpoint.
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2008, 07:48 AM

I saw on YouTube that a lady was making baby carrots for her baby and after she boiled and smash it, she make glucose in it.

I thought after you make it you don't need to add anything else.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 26, 2008, 07:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by liz28 View Post
    baby carrots for her baby and after she boiled and smash it, she make glucose in it.
    Carrots naturally have glucose if I am not mistaken.
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2008, 08:05 AM

I meant to write"she put glucose in it".

Oh, this lady put glucose in the carrots and the sweet potatoes she made for her baby. I just thought you didn't need to add anything.
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2008, 08:11 AM

I never added anything to mine. It was just the carrots and a little water that was used to boil/steam them to give that consistency needed for little ones.
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2008, 08:12 AM

You don't ADD anything to baby food no salt or anything certainly not glucose.
    The get all the additions they need in there milk be it from you or a packet.
    The one person that springs to mind is annabel she has many books out there and as the baby gets older so her recipes alter in texture and flavour etc.
    Recipes & Guides for Babies, Children and Families by Annabel Karmel
    The only thing I can say is don't be afraid to buy ready made food for your baby we aren't all super women as you will soon descover you are about to enter the world of the hardest job in the world if there are days you don't manage to cook what the heck they aren't baby's forever enjoy them there much more important.
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2008, 08:28 AM

Oh, I know it's hard. I already have a 8 year old daughter. They've so many things for babies that they didn't have when my daughter was born. I went to the baby store and I was in there for a while and this other customer that was in there helped me picked out stuff. I thought that was nice of her.

Thanks for the link. So far you and NowWhat recommended this lady. Thanks again!
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2008, 08:40 AM

She is massive here in the uk her books are very good and I have to say there are very few recipes that my kids stuck there nose up at.
    Things are completely different this time for me and there's only a 2 and a bit year gap its quite crazy how quickly things change and rules and regulations turn about.
    Good luck for January my son was born in jan this year and is a wonderful monkey.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Anyone with a great Turkey Recipe? [ 14 Answers ]

Hey guys I want to make a turkey this year but I don't know what kind of recipe to go with.. I'd love to hear all of your ideas... And I would love to know how to make a more moist turkey... I don't really like turkey b.c its soooo DRY..

Steak recipes? [ 9 Answers ]

We're planning on having steak for dinner tonight, but I am so tired of the normal marinade and grilling... I have tried to Google recipes and all I'm finding are these very long recipes or recipes for pepper steak. Anyone have an quick and easy steak recipes?

Help me with recipes [ 11 Answers ]

I've got this problem, my dad moved out of the house, and he doesn't know how to cook, so he asked me to teach him some basic stuff about cooking and some easy recipes, could you help me find them ?

Crock Pot Recipes [ 23 Answers ]

Hey everyone I was given a crock pot and I'm just so curious to use it.. I've never used 1 before but now is the time. Can you guys recommend any good pot roast recipes or any good crock pot recipes... Thanks

Looking for cabbage recipes. [ 6 Answers ]

It's fall and we have an abundance of cabbage, but not a surplus of recipes. Would appreciate any family favorites that you might have. Especially from ancestors. We already make stuffed cabbage and pierogies. Anyone have something special that they would care to share? Thanks. Dave.

View more questions Search