Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    krissharma Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2008, 06:43 AM
    Swelling in feet
    Hi,

I have swelling in feet for past 6 to 8 weeks. Its not hurting at all but the swelling is not easing. Got my thyroid tests done the results are normal. Tried elevating my legs during night but that too is not helping. Could any one please suggest what it could be?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 26, 2008, 06:54 AM
    How is your blood pressure?

Nov 26, 2008, 07:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    How is your blood pressure?
    My blood pressure is normal, never faced any BP issues ever and I'm 28 yr old.

Thanks,
    Kris
    Expert

Nov 26, 2008, 07:17 AM
    Any kidney problems?

Nov 26, 2008, 07:38 AM
    Any kidney problems?
    None which Im aware of.
    But the last time I got my routine checks done the report indicated some RBCs in urine and the doctor said that it did not require any medications and all I had to do is to increase my fluid intake.
    I healthy otherwise and never had any history of chronic... for this matter even mild ailments.
    Expert

Nov 26, 2008, 07:40 AM
    Please excuse all of the questions, I am trying to get a clear picture.

When was the last time you were at the doctor?

Are you on any medications?

Any medical conditions in your family? Particularly heart?

Do you eat a lot of salt?

How long has this been going on?

Nov 26, 2008, 08:06 AM
    Thanks so much for asking all these questions as it shows that you are really trying to help me out.

The last time I went to my doctor was 2 weeks ago.

Im not on any medications.

I don't eat lot of salt, rather I was advised 1ce by my doctor to increase my salt intake as my blood sodium levels were low but didn't take his advice as I don't really enjoy very salty food.

I do have a family history of heart problems, my dad died of a heart attack although he never had any cardiac problems while he was alive. My mother too had a heart attack last month and had to undergo angioplasty with stent.
    I have Incomplete right bundle branch.

This has been going on for almost 10 weeks now.

Thanks again for all your time and efforts :-0
    Expert

Nov 26, 2008, 08:48 AM
    Do you visit a cardiologist? I would recommend it at this point, looking at your family health history.

Nov 26, 2008, 09:14 AM
    Do you visit a cardiologist? I would recommend it at this point, looking at your family health history.
    I did visit a cardiologist last month and that is when I was diagnosed with IRBB. But he just told me that everything is OK and I don't need any medications or treatment.

While my mother was in hospital I even had an episode of blackout. It can't really be called black out... what has happened was... my mother was really unwell and had been in the ICU for almost 8 days by then without any improvement her vitals were dropping. I was really stressed.. all of a sudden I felt breathless and I almost started choking, I really don't recall anything during that choking episode. My husband was with me at that time and he said that I was breathless for almost 15 minutes... I was choking so hard and I was gasping for breath... I held his hand so tight at that time that there were nail marks on his hands.

I had gone to the cardiologist after this episode only and had discussed it with him but he said it was due to stress only and this is when the IRBB thing was also diagnosed.

What according to you is causing this swelling? Just wanted to take an opinion as you are from the medical field.

Should I take a second opinion, or is there any tests or something which you suggest.
    Expert

Nov 26, 2008, 06:50 PM
    The info I give you is strictly a guess. You see, I am a registered nurse, but I specialize in women's health, particularly OB/GYN and newborns as well as psychiatry.

I am wondering if you possibly have a condition known as CHF (congestive heart failure). Now, don't panic, this is a treatable disease and not fatal as the name suggests. It basically has to do with fluid volume, which would explain the swelling of the lower extremities as well as the gasping episode you experienced.

Personally, if it were me, I would get a second opinion.
    bsd_tector Posts: 23, Reputation: 6

Nov 26, 2008, 07:05 PM

Have you started drinking booze for some reason? My feet swell when I drink.

Nov 27, 2008, 03:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bsd_tector View Post
    Have you started drinking booze for some reason? My feet swell when I drink.
    I booze occasionaly, but I haven't boozed for a long time now and this swelling is going on for more than 2 months.

Nov 27, 2008, 03:28 AM
    The info I give you is strictly a guess. You see, I am a registered nurse, but I specialize in women's health, particularly OB/GYN and newborns as well as psychiatry.

I am wondering if you possibly have a condition known as CHF (congestive heart failure). Now, don't panic, this is a treatable disease and not fatal as the name suggests. It basically has to do with fluid volume, which would explain the swelling of the lower extremities as well as the gasping episode you experienced.

Personally, if it were me, I would get a second opinion.
    Thank you so much for all this info and guidance.

I'll surely take a second opinion from a cardiologist.

Thanks n God bless you
    Kris
    Expert

Nov 27, 2008, 06:17 AM
    Kris, please keep me posted on what you find out. If I am incorrect, I would love to find out what this is so that I'll have something new for the ole memory bank. LOL

Nov 27, 2008, 09:27 AM
    Kris, please keep me posted on what you find out. If I am incorrect, I would love to find out what this is so that I'll have something new for the ole memory bank. LOL
    Sure, I'll do that. I would be going to the doc on this weekend n I'll let u about any update.

Take care
    Joey G Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2008, 07:21 PM
    First of all, how old are you? Do you have any other symptoms other than the swelling of your feet? Are your legs swollen too? There are many causes of feet swelling without pain. Anywhere from dependency (legs not being elevated), medicines, low thyroid (however you said your tests were normal) function, heart and kidney problems are only some. If your symptoms are getting worse, always seek medical attention. Avoidance of salt and elevation of legs can help. Remember, don't doctor yourself since not everything can be simple.
    Joey G Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2008, 07:46 PM
    Sorry, I did not realize that J9 was already asking some of the same questions I had. I do agree with the cardiologist that your episode of breathlessness, choking sensation that lasted 15 minutes could have been an anxiety/panic type attack. Although CHF can cause leg swelling as J9 suggests, the shortness of breath experienced by patients is usually longer in duration like days to weeks. Do you have problems with large varicose veins in your legs? If you are elevating your legs, make sure that they are HIGHER than your heart; use at least 4 pillows under your legs at night and see if the swelling is gone in the am. If not better, I would suggest getting re-evaluated by your family doctor. Sometimes, if they can't find the cause, they often give diuretics or water pills but they have to watch your electrolytes (Sodium and Potassium levels among them).

Nov 30, 2008, 09:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey G View Post
    Sorry, I did not realize that J9 was already asking some of the same questions I had. I do agree with the cardiologist that your episode of breathlessness, choking sensation that lasted 15 minutes could have been an anxiety/panic type attack. Although CHF can cause leg swelling as J9 suggests, the shortness of breath experienced by patients is usually longer in duration like days to weeks. Do you have problems with large varicose veins in your legs? If you are elevating your legs, make sure that they are HIGHER than your heart; use at least 4 pillows under your legs at night and see if the swelling is gone in the am. If not better, I would suggest getting re-evaluated by your family doctor. Sometimes, if they can't find the cause, they often give diuretics or water pills but they have to watch your electrolytes (Sodium and Potassium levels among them).
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey G View Post
    Hi, thanks for going through my case in detail :-)

Im 28 yrs old female, I don't have any problems with varicose veins in my legs. I have tried elevating my legs while sleeping and sometimes while sitting also but it hasn't eased the swelling.

The swelling in my feet is not very severe, its mild swelling only but its bothering me because it has not disappeared for almost 2 months now. The swelling is in my feet and ankles only not in legs.

Coz you mentioned sodium and pottasium levels, I recalled that my sodium and Chloride levels were low when I got my blood tested last week. Im yet to discuss it with my doctor.

The sodium level was: 134 and Chloride was:95. Pottasium was in the normal ref range, it was 4.4.

Does this indicate something, just curious to know because it would take me another week or so before I visit my doctor, as my mother is unwell and I have to care for her.

Thanks again for your valuable inputs.
    Expert

Nov 30, 2008, 09:07 AM
    One thing that we have not asked you is... what part of the world you live in... is it summer there or winter?

Nov 30, 2008, 12:19 PM
    One thing that we have not asked you is...what part of the world you live in...is it summer there or winter?
    Im in India, as of now and its mild winter out here... although in India this season is called winter, its nothing more than English summer... in total what I can say is that the weather is quite pleasant these days.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Swelling behind ear [ 3 Answers ]

I recently noticed a bump behind my ear the size of a pea. There was swelling along the back of my ear and it was read. Well, I already had a doctors appointment, so I decided to ask him what he though it could be. He said that he was not sure... looks like an allergic reaction to something. He...

Swelling Stomach [ 2 Answers ]

I have for the last 4 months been experiencing a constant swollen stomach especially after eating even a small meal. I am very fit and use the gym 4-5 times per week but I now have a pot belly which looks out of place to the rest of may body. My diet is very good but cannot seem to get rid of the...

Swelling of the feet [ 5 Answers ]

I am 29 weeks along, and I noticed yesterday, that my right foot is swollen. It doesn't look too bad, but this morning it's still the same. Also it throbs when I walk and I can't feel two of my toes. I'm not sure if this is a big deal or not. Should I call my doctor, or is this normal?

Swelling [ 2 Answers ]

I have swelling and fluid build-up in my groin area is this something to worry about? I've been to doctors they don't anythings wrong. I'm hurting. Is there something else to try?

How do I get my swelling to go down [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I got in a car accident sat. night and I had to go into the er and get stitches all over the inside and outside of my mouth. My question is I am really swelled up and was wondering what I can do to get the swelling to go down other that ice, and I think my cuts are already infected what can I...

View more questions Search