Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bowler Posts: 133, Reputation: 2

Nov 25, 2008, 09:23 PM
    After Standby, keyboard won't work
    I have a 3.4 Gig Asus with XP SP2 and if I put the computer in standby, rather than shut down or restart, when I come out of standby, everything works great except the keyboard won't function at all. I have tried several times to get this standby to function correctly but to no avail. Mouse works, all the icons come up and I can go into any program, but no keyboard. Any suggestions? By the way, this is not something new, it has done this since new.

Problem #2. When I come off from a shut down, almost all the time, computer hangs up on the Asus logo and won't proceed any further. When this happens, the only way I can get computer to boot, hitting the reset button and then by hitting the delete key when it first starts up and it will then go to the CMOS screen, where I can exit without saving any changes and it boots the rest of the way. Again, any suggestions? Nolrton's is up to date and scans have been done.
    Ferghus Posts: 97, Reputation: -4

Nov 25, 2008, 09:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowler View Post
    I have a 3.4 Gig Asus with XP SP2 and if I put the computer in standby, rather than shut down or restart, when I come out of standby, everything works great except the keyboard won't function at all. I have tried several times to get this standby to function correctly but to no avail. Mouse works, all the icons come up and I can go into any program, but no keyboard. Any suggestions?? By the way, this is not something new, it has done this since new.

Problem #2. When I come off from a shut down, almost all the time, computer hangs up on the Asus logo and won't proceed any further. When this happens, the only way I can get computer to boot, hitting the reset button and then by hitting the delete key when it first starts up and it will then go to the CMOS screen, where I can exit without saving any changes and it boots the rest of the way. Again, any suggestions? Nolrton's is up to date and scans have been done.
    # 1: Is the keyboard PS2 or USB? Have you tried unpluging the keyboard for a minute and pluging it back in?

#2: I'd suggest updating the Bios. The ASUS site will tell you how.

Nov 25, 2008, 09:50 PM

PS2 Keyboard No I haven't tried unplugging. Shouldn't have to pull the PC out to get to the plug each time.
    theecho Posts: 59, Reputation: 9

Dec 15, 2008, 07:39 AM
    Have you checked all the prongs to make sure none are bent? Have you tried a different keyboard or do you have one to try?
    cheeseycheese Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Dec 15, 2008, 08:46 AM
    I highly doubt it has something to do with the keyboard, simply because it works before standby and all that. The first thing I would do is do a virus scan with a few anti virus(probably not a virus be can't be sure) then retrace your steps to when it first started happening. Quite likey it's a program or something you downloaded that is conflicting with a file on your computer. Next is revert your computer back to a system restore point(hopefully you had some saved) and last is to reformat my computer(whicy should be done every three months anyway as Microsoft does not guarrantee the product will work after 3 months. Really! Its in the Eula)

Dec 15, 2008, 11:38 AM

Answering 2 answers at once... The keyboard connectors etc. look fine. This has been a problem that I have put up with for several months and have just lived with not putting the Computer in standby. Don't really know what sequence of events was at the time it started and really don't know exactly when it started. How would you "reformat" only one folder.. my computer. And how would you only reinstall the one folder?
    amdrocks Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2008, 01:09 PM

Try disabling stand-by go to start,setting,control pannel,power options,3rd box down on left click the arrow and set it to to never were it says system stand by.This is what I do in xp pro also disable hybernate.

Dec 16, 2008, 09:22 PM

They were already set to "never"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My keyboard does not work and my screen is upside down [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter was writing on paper leaning on keys. Now my screen is upside down, so I tried ctrl alt arrow but the keyboard does not work... any suggestions?

How do I disable the laptop keyboard when adding an external keyboard [ 2 Answers ]

My laptop keyboard is screwed up - tried to add an external through a usb port - bad keys on laptop keyboard take priority over external keyboard - tried to uninstall laptop keyboard, but system requests reboot to finish - after reboot system "finds" laptop keyboard and reinstalls - any ideas?

Keyboard does not work [ 5 Answers ]

Hi folks I recently bought a Microsoft 4000 ergonomic keyboard for my laptop to help whilst typing. Problem it does not work. The bottom light comes on suggesting power is there but no keys will work. Thanks for any help Craig

View more questions Search