Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gmoss Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2008, 08:42 PM
    Child Support for Disabled obligor. Oregon
    What are the federal guide lines, for the obligor, when he is on ssdi (Disability), and his income is less than the federal poverty level?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 25, 2008, 09:07 PM

There is no federal child support laws, the child support laws are set in the state that has authority over the case.

Normally there is a min amount of child support due. With that his children should be receiving money from SSD also.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Nov 25, 2008, 10:34 PM

Every state has a minimum amount per month of support. The payor will need to go to court to have the support order changed bringing with the proof of SSD. There are no federal laws with that it will strictly be whatever the state minimum is plus as noted the children can receive a monthly check from SSD as well.
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2008, 04:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stinawords View Post
    Every state has a minimum amount per month of support. The payor will need to go to court to have the support order changed bringing with the proof of SSD. There are no federal laws with that it will strictly be whatever the state minimum is plus as noted the children can recieve a monthly check from SSD as well.
    California has no state minimum and no maximum child support amount.

I've heard that in Oregon everyone starts with minimum wage as income (and I would imagine disability gets added to that) but check with your child support agency to find out.
    gmoss Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2008, 08:48 PM

I origenated this question last night and, today I found you can't get modification on arears child support. But the childsupport enforcement is willing at least in my case, and I would assume in cases like mine, are willing to "make a deal" on an appropreat amount in the form of an "easy pament plan". So we worked an amount that I can live with. For the resr of my Life!
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2008, 09:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cadillac59 View Post
    California has no state minimum and no maximum child support amount.
    So California dosen't can take the entire paycheck? Every state that I have ever known dosen't have a maximum as far as how much is due but how much they can take as far as a percentage there was a cap. Not that I know every state but that just seems a little odd. Anyway to the op I'm glad you were able to get to a solution that worked out for you!
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2008, 10:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stinawords View Post
    So California dosen't can take the entire paycheck? Every state that I have ever known dosen't have a maximum as far as how much is due but how much they can take as far as a percentage there was a cap. Not that I know every state but that just seems a little odd. Anyway to the op I'm glad you were able to get to a solution that worked out for you!
    The California guideline obviously will not take the entire paycheck, no. But there is no "cap" as such. Now, there is a 50% cap on a wage assignment, but that's another matter entirely (you can actually go above the 50% wage assignment cap up to 65% with a special court order). The wage assignment order (called "garnishment" in some places) has nothing to do with what the actual child support order is. Most child support orders are less than 50% of the net income of an obligor so it is not an issue having the wage assignment cover all of it, but I have seen some cs orders that exceed 50% of the obligor's net (for example servicemembers checks where they have high non-taxable housing and sustenance allowances (BAH, BAS)).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child abandonment laws in Oregon [ 4 Answers ]

My S.O. has had full custody of both of is children for over a year now. His ex has not seen the children for 10 months now and she is supposed to see them every other Saturday for 10 hours unsupervised. She is also supposed to pay child support, which she has been doing off and on. All of this...

SSI Benefits and Child Support for Disabled Adult Child [ 3 Answers ]

I am the father of a 19 year old disabled daughter (learning disabilities). Her mother has been collecting child support for the past 14 years, but our CA Court Order ends child supoort at age 19. Her mother is now in the porcess of taking me back to court to continue the Adult with Disabilities...

Should my 21yr old disabled son get child support? [ 2 Answers ]

My 21yr old son is parapalegic. He is very unstable and unresponsible. He has the mantality of a 14 yr old. He did not graduate high school, his dropped out in 9th grade at age 16. He lived with me from 1998-2005. I never asked for any supprt from my ex-spouse. We have 3 children, I have the...

Gardianship of disabled child [ 6 Answers ]

Need help finding if I need to become legal gardian of grand daughter I live in wash state.. she's lived with me sense 1999... school pushing voc training none which she can do.. she's total care.. 24/7 please help!

Disabled & a Child but No Water, Help [ 5 Answers ]

Hi everyone, My question is about my landlord turning my water off. I became disabled in 2004, I won my disability & back pay in Oct. 2005, I took my back pay and paid $1000 down on my trailer & furnished it, the very next month SS told me I would get my SS check on the 3rd, but they canceled my...

View more questions Search