Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    homerjr5 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2008, 06:26 PM
    Mother passed
    My Mother died just over a year ago. My Father has survived her. My sister(the only girl in family) has been helping my father w/things like social security and finances... i.e. medical bills and such. Recently, my father had told me the he receives no survivors benefits from social security. Is that possible in the state of n.j.. My mother had worked most her life. I am wrong thinking he should get a benefit for losing spouse? Seems messed up that he also has to pay for medical insurance even after medicare.
    mydogquestion Posts: 232, Reputation: 21

Nov 25, 2008, 06:36 PM

I am sure you could call the social security office and ask. Benefits have to be applied for has your sister applied ?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 25, 2008, 06:53 PM

Social Security is a federal program, so the state you live in doesn't matter.

Please read this page from the Social Security site --

Social Security Online - Widows, Widowers & Other Survivors - Report a Death

Last week I called for our library homeless guy (who was with me -- he has no phone or access to one), and we waited about ten minutes. I've called late in the week in the afternoon and waited even less time. Other than that waiting time, service is prompt and efficient.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I contact my mother who recently passed away? [ 27 Answers ]

I just lost my mom/best friend 5 weeks ago. She wasn't religious but very spiritual. She had visits from close family members who had passed away, including my sister who died at 8. Although her death was very unexpected, I had talked to her beforehand about visiting me in her afterlife. Does...

My best friends mother has just passed, [ 6 Answers ]

My best friends mother passed away this morning due to a long battle with cancer. I'm the type of person that has trouble with expressing my feelings of sorrow through words. How can I comfort him? He's currently in his home state and he won't be back for awhile, I just want him to know I'm here...

Mother passed and owes a lot [ 17 Answers ]

OK, so my mother has passed away and left a bunch of unpaid debt. The largest of which is the home. It was morgaged to the hilt, so she had zero equity in it. She owes 117,000. Next are back property taxes and income taxes which total in the range of 7,000. Then there are medical bills ( heart...

My mother passed away and didn't leave a will [ 1 Answers ]

My mother passed away this year and she did not have a will. She was living with me for the last 2 years of her life, but she has a piece of property that she and my dad owned. My mother never gained a "clear title" to the property. She purchased the land and trailer from the owner about 20 years...

Mother passed/now feel like she may be watching over me [ 14 Answers ]

Okay everyone, this is going to be a really long post, so get ready. When I was 12 yr.'s old my mother passed away from a brain aneurism. I did not grieve at all afterwards, I guess mainly because I wanted to shut it out of mind at the time (which I now know is normal, especially at the age). ...

View more questions Search