Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    08_777444 Posts: 111, Reputation: 16

Nov 25, 2008, 05:31 PM
    Family's Native American history
    I have the results to a genealogy test, which my father took, that states my father is 40% Inuit. He is also thought to be 50% Native American Indian of the Cherokee decent.

I am in a little bit of a debate with someone over what percentage of American Indian that would make me. I don’t believe the Inuit’s are considered Native American Indians, and there is where the debate begins.

Can someone please help shed some light on this subject?
    Gem_22205 Posts: 976, Reputation: 129

Nov 27, 2008, 12:47 PM
    This may help to lend the information on the subject for you.

In the words of Jose Kusugak, president of Inuit Tapirisit Kanatami, an organization that represents Inuit from Labrador to the Northwest Territories:

"In Canada and America we are trying to make people understand that we are a distinct people and not Indians... We want them to understand that Inuit work real hard to get children educated and make sure they hold on to their culture."

angelyne Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Nov 28, 2008, 03:10 AM

I truly believe that being of Native American decent is unique, and no matter what percentage you are or believe that you are, it is in your heart whether how much you are or aren't! I am 3/4+ Ojibwe, the other is French Canadian, I can not hide that I am Native and do not try to hide that I am of French decent either. Be proud of who you are and as far as I am concerned Inuit people are Native's either way you look at, they are treated like they are, look like they are, so they must be!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Native american jewelry hallmark [ 8 Answers ]

Hi... can anyone help me identify a native american jewelry hallmark of a crescent moon appearing just before R.. thanks! Jill

Native American Jewelry [ 2 Answers ]

What is the history of Squash Blossom necklaces?

Native American silversmith [ 3 Answers ]

I have a lovely turquoise and silver watch band which is signed "Whirling Wind." Does anyone know anything about this artist? I think it's a Navaho piece. Thanks

Native history [ 3 Answers ]

Did the people of Oka have any specific evidence of their claim to the disputed area.

Native american art [ 1 Answers ]

All my sacred ways is a water color by Jonny Hawks is it worth any thing?

View more questions Search