Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mikebrit81 Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Nov 25, 2008, 05:00 PM
    18 Year Old harassed by parents. STUCk
    My friends grandson lives at home with his parents. (CONNECTICUT) He comes from a very nice family. he has had trouble with school and peers all his life. He is currently takeing meds for ADD and is focused on school and working (good kid) His parents though have changed dramatically from the loveing parents they were. They dont treat him great. he doesnt have any right in the house and they constantly threaten him to call the police and have him arrested for harrasing the rest of the family. He feels as if hes a stanger in the house and has no where to go. He has been kicked out before for not following some simple rules and then was tooken off the street within a few hours by his mother who was the one who kicked him out in the first place. I want to know does this 18 year old have any rights what so ever in his parents home? He is being harrased and has no where else to go and is constantly being emotionally abused. he was perviousely arrested for harrasment to his mother who wasnt even harrased. She had the boys younger sister who happens to be 4 years old tell the police that he had hit his mother. Now hes just living at home in fear and doesnt know where to turn. I would indeed want to help this young man. Does he have any rights in this home? Can he be kicked out on the spot? Do his parents have the right to harass him and threaten him?
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Nov 25, 2008, 07:02 PM

At 18 the parents can kick him out because he isn't a minor. It's a shame that the mother is treating him this way and making false statements to the cops, she should get arrested for that, but does he have anyone else to stay with? Friend, relative, etc
    mikebrit81 Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Nov 25, 2008, 07:58 PM
    No he does not have anywhere to go. His family and relatives don't know anything about the situation. The boy is constantly working and going to school (high school) He is in a very non stable situation and its very scary. I just would love to know do people like this boy have any rights out there. The legal age is 18, but most 18 year olds aren't prepared to be kicked out and pay bills and move out. And to have 2 parents kick theyr eson?daughter out if very devastating. Where are they to go? How do they seek help? Continue with school/Work? Do 18 years olds have any rights out there to be able to at least fight back for the harsh treatment they receive from they're family even if they don't own the residence. If your 18 and live with your parents you ovbiousely are a 'guest" in the house. What is a person like this to do next? :confused:
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Nov 25, 2008, 08:26 PM

Nowadays, you have some parents kicking their child out before the age of 18.

My cousin was recently kicked out the house due to her foul attitude. She went and enrolled in job corp because she wants to straighten out her life and do something positive. There she gets job training, room and board, and learn responibility.

I know your friend situation is different from my cousin but I just wanted to share what happen to my cousin.

Personally, my parents never kicked me out of their house and they wer actually mad when I left at 18. I left get a studio apartment,went to school, and work.

I think your friend should make a plan and start saving because his living situation is no good since the mom is making false police statements. It sounds like he would never have a piece of mind and he needs that.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 25, 2008, 09:22 PM

No he has not rights, if he needs to move he may have to

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My clock and date are stuck in the year 2003 [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Dell PC and I cannot set the clock or the date to today's date and time. When I try I get a message stating that I am not authorized to make these changes, which is utterly ridiculous but I don't know how to get past it! Any help would be much appreciated.:confused: :) :) :p

What does 19 year old do when parents try to run her life? [ 5 Answers ]

I was gone all weekend with a friend. I just got home today and my parents said that they were going to drop the insurance on my car because I didn't go to work today. I was at my friends house. I don't know if I should move out or stay here.

I'm a 15 year old with divorced parents [ 3 Answers ]

My parents have been divorced since I was 2 years old& my brother was 7 years old. Ever since then, I've been living with my father because he has custody of the both of us. I don't know what kind of custody it is because I don't dare ask him about it. My dads not a very open person at all. Lately,...

Parents and girlfriend can't get along, and I'm stuck in the middle [ 4 Answers ]

I came out to my family about 3 years ago- my mother is a theology teacher in a catholic high school, my dad a retired cop- needless to say, very conservative views on the subject and my lesbian-ness did not go over very well. They flipped, I hung around for about a week trying to smooth things...

18 year old - Car in Parents Name [ 7 Answers ]

I have a step-daughter who turns 18 tomorrow. The car she drives is currently in my husband's name, so we carry & PAY the insurance. She has pushed him to the point that since she's 18, he told her he would sign the car over to her, but that would require her putting insurance on it. Now that...

View more questions Search