Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AceH Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2006, 02:50 PM
    Thermostats & Warranties
    I'm having a new Trane XR-13 A/C installed for $3,416 (which includes a 10-10-10 year warranty). I wanted to upgrade my thermostat but the company wants to charge me $375 for a Trane 602 thermostat. This same model which Honeywell makes can be had for $79 at Home Depot (Honeywell Model RTH7400D).

If I had someone other than this company install a Honeywell thermostat from Home Depot would this void the Trane warranty?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2006, 03:11 PM
    I believe it. HVAC parts upcharges are notoriously huge. Check your contract closely. It should not void the warranty, but I've seen all sorts of funky clauses in warrantee's.

(Also, just so you know, thermostats come with very good instructions nowadays. Buy it and try to install it yourself before calling someone out to do it - which will probably cost you $50-$75)
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2006, 08:32 PM
    If you want the Honeywell thermostat buy it install it yourself and save the one that you took off. If you have problems under the warranty take off the Honeywell thermostat and put back on the one you took off before you call for the warranty service.. Sounds like cheating but so does $375 for an up grade from the installer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thermostats HELP [ 2 Answers ]

Okay guys I just moved into a new place and the thermostat is way off. It's a mechanical one, so today I went out and bought a honeywell programmable one and tried to install it. The problem is the wiring which I have no clue. What is included in the honey well is: Y G W Rc Rh

Two Thermostats to One [ 2 Answers ]

I currently have a separate thermostat for the heater and the A/C... I want to combine them into one thermostat... I have replaced the thermostat before, but my knowledge of the wiring is very basic... My issue is that I have two "R" wires and I am worried about combining them together since it is...

Thermostats [ 5 Answers ]

I have a kind of off the wall question. First of all, we have a hot water boiler system which is 2 zone (1 upstairs, 1 down). I was wondering if there was such a thing as putting an extra sensor in the bedrooms that would trigger the thermostat to kick on if one of the rooms gets below a certain...

Thermostats [ 3 Answers ]

I have recently purchase a home and I found two thermostats installed, they told me one controls de AC and heat and the other one heat only, They're located on different rooms. Can anybody tell me how can I replace this two thermostats into one? Thanks

Wiring 2 Thermostats [ 7 Answers ]

I am new to the list and just wanted to thank all who contribute to make this such a great resource. Question: I read the response from the following post "berces wiring two thermostats Jun 27, 2005, 05:54 PM" and wanted to know how to keep both upstairs/downstairs thermostats (hot) from losing...

View more questions Search