Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PHR Web Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2008, 10:39 AM
    Correctly alphabetizing business names beginning with "The"
    In a list of organizations, should names which begin with "The" be alphabetized by the first letter of the next word - as in, "The Center ..." under C? Or under T for The?

Thanks!
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Nov 25, 2008, 12:30 PM

I have seen different methods. Most recently, for a list of movies, The Blob was shown alpha with the b's, but "The" was in its normal place.
    The methd I prefer is "Blob, The". I think the word "the" listed out of order in with a,b, c causes confusion until you figure out what's going on. With "the" at the end you find what you are looking for much quicker. Listing all the "The's" together is a train wreck. Just my opinion.
    tereza perez Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2009, 09:09 AM

How would you file
    L.Mattes, Inc.

Should it go under the letter L or M
    Brokentoo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2009, 12:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by PHR Web View Post
    In a list of organizations, should names which begin with "The" be alphabetized by the first letter of the next word - as in, "The Center ..." under C? or under T for The?

Thanks!
    The Black Rabbit Company should be listed as

Black Rabbit Company, The
    cooch Posts: 38, Reputation: -1
    -

Apr 1, 2009, 01:12 PM

The organization name should be listed under "T" as "The" is the first word in the official name of the company.
    felgar Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

May 26, 2009, 12:49 AM
    Filing should begin with letter of the next word. For example, "The Teachers Camp" should be filed starting with the word teacher.
    Esmeralda777 Posts: 9, Reputation: 0
    -

Jun 3, 2009, 11:32 PM

I think it has changed a bit recently. It used to be that any article would be ignored for alphabetizing and put at the end after a comma. But, now it seems so many companies have the article as part of their name. My vote would be that if the 'the' is part of the official name of the company it should be included in the alphabetizing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Obama's "small business" nonsense [ 63 Answers ]

In Londonderry, NH yesterday, Obama mocked all the Joe the Plumbers out there when he said, "And then he's trying to suggest that a plumber is the guy he's fighting for...How many plumbers you know makin' a quarter million dollars a year?" Patterico's Pontifications posted some examples of the...

Rules to Alphabetizing business names [ 2 Answers ]

Which order would I alphabetize these names? Please help. Signco Inc. Signko, Inc Signs Electrical SignCrafters Signs, Inc SignCraft Engineer

Information Needed On "Doing Business As" for the Department of Public Transportation [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to get some information on how to dba (do business as) for the dept of public transportation...

Homework with book "Contemporary Business 2006" questions [ 2 Answers ]

Questions 1–20: #050618 1. Which of the following facts would lead you to believe that your company takes customer satisfaction seriously? A. Products are all less expensive than competitor products. B. There are more distribution outlets for products than competitors have. C. Regular...

View more questions Search