Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    voron Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2008, 10:10 AM
    Rehanging a door - so it opens the other way
    Hi guys

I need some advice on how to "flip" my bedroom door. Right now it opens into the room, and I want it to open "out".

Can it be with not too much mess? I guess I'll need to turn the door frame but I have no idea how without damaging the wall (common plasterboard).

I'd appreciate any help I can get, but plain terms are preferred... I'll need a foolproof solution as I am not much of a DIY - door knobs and lightbulbs is all I'm good for :)

Thanks!
    rtw_travel Posts: 347, Reputation: 36

Nov 26, 2008, 04:23 AM

The easiest way is to remove the trim on each side of the door. You may have to score the paint with a knife so that it does not peel away from the wall when you pull the trim off. Then use something like a sawzall to cut the nails holding the door in place.

Remove the door as an entire unit (i.e. door and frame together), flip around and nail back in. It may be a bit tricky depending on how the carpet/ tile/ floor was installed around the door. Reinstall the trim.

Its not that difficult - probably half and hour to an hour from start to finish. However, it may not be the job for someone who is not that handy. Any friends who can come over and help?

Nov 26, 2008, 04:36 AM
    Thanks! That does sound easy enough indeed. I only have a problem comprehending this:

Quote Originally Posted by rtw_travel View Post
    ...use something like a sawzall to cut the nails holding the door in place...
    Can you please clarify?

Thanks again, cheers
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2008, 09:26 AM

A door frame is nailed to the 2X4 studs,using a sawzall,one can simply cut the nails off behind the frame allowing the removal.

Chances are you won't have any problem with this.

KBC
    amsteube Posts: 75, Reputation: 6

Dec 2, 2008, 12:01 PM
    A sawzall is the common name for a reciprocating saw if that is what you need clarification on. Here are a few other tips that will help you.

1. As was said earlier, make sure to score around the trim or you will be repainting your walls.

2. Have shims on hand, can be picked up at a local hardware store and are used to level the door and give it a snug fit in the opening.

3. Have either a finish nailer and a compressor or a nail set to sink the nails when you reinstall the trim, to avoid damaging the casing.

Depending on how the floor coverings were done this is easier a very simple or very difficult job. Make sure you know what you are doing before you start. Also having another set of hands to hold the door while you level and nail makes this much smoother.

Here is a good step-by-step guide of your project:

How to Install an Interior Door | eHow.com

Aaron
    shoproland Posts: 26, Reputation: 3

Dec 5, 2008, 04:07 PM

If you don't want to change the direction of the swing (keep the door hinges on the same side), then don't remove the door jamb. Just take the door down, remove all the hardware, and I tell you what. Just email me and I'll walk you through it. It's easier to do than to write. Shoot me a mail at [email protected] and we'll get you fixed up.

Dec 5, 2008, 05:10 PM
    Thanks all. Hopefully will get to it this weekend. Or next ;)

to shoproland: just to be clear, this is what I'm after (MS Paint rocks):
    Attached Images

shoproland Posts: 26, Reputation: 3

Dec 5, 2008, 05:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by voron View Post
    Thanks all. Hopefully will get to it this weekend. Or next ;)

to shoproland: just to be clear, this is what I'm after (MS Paint rocks):
    All you need to do is mirror your hardware, remove the three pieces of doorstop, plug existing holes and mortises, rehang door and replace doorstop. This is a vague instruction but I can help with the particulars as they come.

Dec 5, 2008, 06:39 PM

Project moved to Sunday - even with best advise I'll still need all the help I can get :)

Still, I'm surprised that nowhere on the internet there is a good photo/video tutorial on this. I mean come on, YouTube has like a thousand clips on how to do a rubic's cube - but nothing that's actually useful??

to shoproland: I have sent you a message on the email address you provided.
    amsteube Posts: 75, Reputation: 6

Dec 5, 2008, 10:38 PM
    For the door to open the way you want it to the swing is going to have to be changed. Are you familiar with how to use a router? One will be needed to achieve what you are after. Also if the door opening is stained you will always be able to see where you filled the mortisses and holes.

Aaron

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dryer door opens [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore Series 80 King Size dryer that just recently the door pops open, on during the drying cycle. It will sometimes dry for 10 minutes other times less than 1 minute. It also appears to be hotter than it should for the amount of time is is on. I empty the lint every time. Is the...

Door scraping floor - needs rehanging or tightening [ 3 Answers ]

I have a wooden door for the downstairs bathroom and it is scraping the tile floor. Since the floor is tile and the door has not been wet (ie: not swollen), I can only surmise that I have to tighten the door hinges or something. It doesn't appear to be mis-aligned with the door frame - However, I...

Rehanging an inside door [ 3 Answers ]

I am having a problem with my inside doors (closet & bathroom) coming off the door frame. Particularly the top hinge. It starts to pull out from the frame which causes the door to not be able to close (or rub excessively on the frame). How do I go about fixing this? Should I take them down & re...

MayTag freezer door opens when refrigerator door is closed [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm new here. I have a 9 year old Maytag refrigerator with a freezer on top. Recently whenever I close the refrigerator I notice that the freezer door pops open. I looked at the seals around it but can't see anything wrong. I did notice that I can simply tap on the door and it will...

Garage door opens only a few inches [ 4 Answers ]

My rolling panel garage door only opens about 6 inches and then stops - does not go back down, just stops. I tried to spray the rollers w/WD 40 and see that that's not the thing to do... but now I'm stuck not being able to get in. There is nothing in the way of the sensors - although I do believe...

View more questions Search