Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jean618 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2008, 06:53 AM
    X ray result interpretation
    My 5 year old son says his ankle hurts so the doctor ordered x rays and wanted to know if anyone knows what these mean. The foot x ray says there is irregular ossification of the medial cuneiform. But this is a normal variance. The ankle x ray says there is soft tissue swelling medially. What do these mean and is there anything special we need to do? Thanks!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 25, 2008, 06:57 AM
    Did they mention anything about a stress fracture? Did your son injure himself in any way?

Nov 25, 2008, 07:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Did they mention anything about a stress fracture? Did your son injure himself in any way?
    They both say no acute fracture. The only thing we can think of is he fell of his back about 5-7 days ago.
    Expert

Nov 25, 2008, 07:03 AM
    Was there only one set of X-rays taken? How about an MRI?

Nov 25, 2008, 07:07 AM
    Was there only one set of X-rays taken? How about an MRI?
    There was ankle minimum 3 views and foot minimum 3 views but no MRI.
    Expert

Nov 25, 2008, 07:14 AM
    I would have to question the doctor/radiologist and ask them if they think it may be a stress fracture.

Ask your doctor to explain it in terms that you understand.

A stress fracture is a tiny fracture of the bone that does not go all the way through the bone and happens primarily in younger children and athletes.

Did he complain about this directly after his fall?

Nov 25, 2008, 07:16 AM
    I would have to question the doctor/radiologist and ask them if they think it may be a stress fracture.

Ask your doctor to explain it in terms that you understand.

A stress fracture is a tiny fracture of the bone that does not go all the way through the bone and happens primarily in younger children and athletes.

Did he complain about this directly after his fall?
    No that is why I am not sure if it is related to his fall or not because when he fell it was on his right side.
    Expert

Nov 25, 2008, 07:21 AM
    Give your doctor a call and see if he/she can explain the results in detail for you. Unfortunately, we cannot legally give an answer via the internet as we have not read his medical records, nor have we viewed the x-rays.
    Joey G Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2008, 08:40 PM
    Was there injury to the ankle? At this age, ossification is usually normal finding and in fact the radiologist stated that it is a normal variant. There is some soft tissue swelling which could mean a sprain, contusion etc. He would probably need observation and depending on the degree of incapacitation, just needs TLC at this point. What did your doctor suggest? Just follow his advice.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Nov 29, 2008, 01:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jean618 View Post
    My 5 year old son says his ankle hurts so the doctor ordered x rays and wanted to know if anyone knows what these mean. The foot x ray says there is irregular ossification of the medial cuneiform. But this is a normal variance. The ankle x ray says there is soft tissue swelling medially. What do these mean and is there anything special we need to do? Thanks!

Soft tissue swelling means inflammation = swellling warmth redness tenderness. There is no mention of stress or an outright fracture.

http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb...4-B9666996.jpg

Medial = inside - the side of the large toe.

Did your son get hit in the area just in front [ closer to the ankle ] of his large toe? Or did he twist his ankle outward/ eversion?

If he still hurts in that area or it interferes with walking take your son for another opinion / x-ray.

g&p

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need dream interpretation [ 3 Answers ]

Last night I dreamt that my daughter who is in the Air Force and pregnant was drowning in a pool that had seaweed in the bottom. Her sister, brothers and others stood there watching like it wasn't real or disbelief. I thought I can't swim and then jumped in and had to bring her back to life. Then I...

Dream interpretation [ 1 Answers ]

I had a dream last night about my brother and I having to get out of our house as quickly as possible. We didn’t have much time so I just grabbed an extra shirt and jeans and socks. The people who were looking for my brother wanted money from him. My brother took the car keys and my purse and gave...

Dream interpretation. [ 2 Answers ]

OK, I had a strange dream last night and Im just trying to figure it out. Don't know if anyone can help, butt I figured it was worth a shot... Hope this is the right topic... I was pregnant with my second child, but not full term yet. (husband and I are currently Trying to conceive, so I...

Dream interpretation [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My common dream is about my father who is physically disable in weaking life, his body muscles got weakened and not sure if he will be cured. But what I see in most of my dreams about him is he is physically very fit and a healthy man. I need this dream interpretation. Thanks

I need a Dream Interpretation [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I've been dreaming quite a bit about this boy in my class who obviously likes me. I'll call him Josh. Yet its getting weird, because I'd never hook up with Josh. (its got to do with my religion). I don't really remember the exact details of the dreams but it started as like a...

View more questions Search