Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2006, 12:53 PM
    There is a fair middle ground. Kids should be made aware of the world and it's ways along with all the other stuff we teach and show them as they grow.

... but granted; we should not make it out to be an evil place or try to scare them.
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2006, 12:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rickj
    There is a fair middle ground. Kids should be made aware of the world and it's ways along with all the other stuff we teach and show them as they grow.

...but granted; we should not make it out to be an evil place or try to scare them.
    Yes, agreed! It's similar to sex education, I think. You don't introduce everything to kids at once, as it's too overwhelming. You gradually teach them things, as they can handle and understand it.
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Jun 28, 2006, 01:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by orange
    Tried to give you rep and couldn't... anyways I agree with you 100%! I don't see the point in teaching my children about all the horrors of the world and scaring them on purpose. There's plenty of time for them to learn about that world as they get older. Rather I'd like to concentrate on what they can do personally to make the world a better place. Like with a hurricane or a tsunami for instance, rather than dwell on how horrible it was and how it signals climate change or G-d's wrath or whatever, I would rather teach the kids the meaning of compassion... let them help with raising money or goods to send to the victims, etc. Let them see how in times of trouble like that people can band together to help the less fortunate, regardless of their beliefs. I never want my kids to give up hope.

My biological mother was a paranoid schizophrenic, and she was constantly telling me about the horrors of the world and how the world was unsafe, that it was going to end soon and G-d would save us, etc. All that did was terrorize me and cause trauma. It took me a long time in therapy to not feel that the world was a terrible place.

Yu really believe that's what I said?
    The method you describe with the emphasis on the horrors taught to children along with the infusion of hopelessness has absolutely nothing to do with the preaching of the Good News of the Kingdom.

BTW
    My three kids, who are now grown, thank me for having taught them that God offers hope for the future of mankind and that this world isn't all there is for us. It helped them to face up to the daily persecution they were subjected to by the other kidsin the neighborhood based on ethnic differences as well as a physically abusive mother who had no faith in God.

BTW

Their mother considered herself good people and so did all the kids involved in the persecution. I suspect they were somehow enjoying themselves while they still had time.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2006, 01:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Starman
    a physically abusive mother who had no faith in God.
    Remember, she wasn't physically abusing because she had no faith in God, she was just a bad mother. Watch out for erroneous cause and effect relationships.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 29, 2006, 07:18 AM
    By colbtech
    I am all for religious tolerance and feel that if "we" were all taught the basics about the various "main" religions of the world... maybe, just maybe the whole place would be a darn site nicer place
    Thank you!
    Jonegy Posts: 166, Reputation: 37

Jun 30, 2006, 04:56 PM
    So the consensus ( bar one ) so far is that teaching about all the religions and faiths of the world is by far the most sensible way to bring up our children.

Knowledge is not dangerous but ingnorance is. That which you know can be understood - that which you are ignorant of you tend not to understand and therefore, fear.

I concur! Children should not be brought up in fear.

... and may your god go with you
    Morganite Posts: 863, Reputation: 86

Jul 3, 2006, 06:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonegy
    So the concensus ( bar one ) so far is that teaching about all the religions and faiths of the world is by far the most sensible way to bring up our children.

Knowledge is not dangerous but ingnorance is. That which you know can be understood - that which you are ignorant of you tend not to understand and therefore, fear.

I concur !! Children should not be brought up in fear.

...........and may your god go with you
    It would be worrisome to find anyone who disagreed with religious education. It puts the lie to the old axiom, "What you don't know can't hurt you." Ignorance can be deadly, especially when it is wedded to intolerance.

M:)RGANITE
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jul 3, 2006, 09:20 AM
    Hmmm, what an interesting concept you have there... almost like maybe require any educational facility that teaches religion to give a comparative course first? The only trouble I see with that is some countries would do it and some would not and some would dance on a slippery slope. What to do about all the noncompliance? Makes me shudder a little, hmm?

I have never been a big fan of legislated morality. I think its more potent as lessons learned on an individual basis. And while I agree with Morganite that ignorance can be deadly, I am also aware that while you can force a book in front of someone, you cannot necessarily make them learn. I see an easier softer path in that the world (meaning the majority of people) can put pressure on their respective religious leaders to adapt a respectful and tolerant tone that filters from the top down. I still believe we are the power even though we don't exercise it often enough.

This is the dawn of the "information age" and as the world learns, it changes and I think there may be some dawning awareness by churches that their flocks are far more sophisticated in their thinking than they once were, at least in places where information access is uninhibited. That is definitely going to make a difference in the long run, I think!

Who we are in the world collectively is largely determined by how we were raised. And I really like what Gandhi said about "we must be the change we seek in the world."... ergo, I am religiously tolerant, I like to think? If I had been blessed with kids, I would have hoped to pass that on to them.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2006, 09:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganite
    It would be worrisome to find anyone who disagreed with religious education. It puts the lie to the old axiom, "What you don't know can't hurt you." Ignorance can be deadly, especially when it is wedded to intolerance.
    It isn't worrisome at all. Leave it the parents to teach about religion not an educator.

Jul 3, 2006, 09:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    It isn't worrisome at all. Leave it the parents to teach about religion not an educator.
    Nods in agreement.. nod nod nod lol
    Actually parents teach it, actively or subconsciously, whether they realise it or not... as they do many many things.

Jul 3, 2006, 10:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Leave it the parents to teach about religion not an educator.

You must see the distinction between indoctrination and education. Indoctrination has as its legitimate aim, the inculcation of faith. The aim of education is to impart information, not to convert. The best parents in the world cannot teach that of which they are ignorant.

If I remember correctly, the question was whether religious education (not religious indoctrination) should be taught to spread understanding and tolerance. If it does that, and it should, then who can possibly be against it?

Jul 3, 2006, 10:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by valinors_sorrow
    Hmmm, what an interesting concept you have there... almost like maybe require any educational facility that teaches religion to give a comparative course first? The only trouble I see with that is some countries would do it and some would not and some would dance on a slippery slope. What to do about all the noncompliance? Makes me shudder a little, hmm?

I have never been a big fan of legislated morality. I think its more potent as lessons learned on an individual basis. And while I agree with Morganite that ignorance can be deadly, I am also aware that while you can force a book in front of someone, you cannot necessarily make them learn. I see an easier softer path in that the world (meaning the majority of people) can put pressure on their respective religious leaders to adapt a respectful and tolerant tone that filters from the top down. I still believe we are the power even though we don't exercise it often enough.

This is the dawn of the "information age" and as the world learns, it changes and I think there may be some dawning awareness by churches that their flocks are far more sophisticated in their thinking than they once were, at least in places where information access is uninhibited. That is definately going to make a difference in the long run, I think!

Who we are in the world collectively is largely determined by how we were raised. And I really like what Ghandi said about "we must be the change we seek in the world." .....ergo, I am religiously tolerant, I like to think? If I had been blessed with kids, I would have hoped to pass that on to them.

I believe that you have wandered off course here. There are some enlightened countries in the world where religious education is a normal part of the school curriculum. As there are math teachers, English teachers, etc. so there are religious education teachers who follow a prescribed curriculum that deals with the major principles of the world's six major faiths.

Education is not a matter of forcing someone to read a book, but of enticing them to open their minds to the world of ideas, and teaching them how best to use their minds to think straight and reach conclusions based on evidence, rather than be fetterd throughout their lives by the chains of ignorance, bigotry, and intolerance.

Parents who are not educated in mind expanding experiences and who do not think on life's m,ajor aims, etc. are unable to pass anything on to their children other than baseless prejudices. Education lifts the lid on their world of darkness, lets in the light of discovery, and frees the children from walking through the same dark minded world as their parents did.

When the world was smaller and all we knew of faith was that which predominated in our nations, religious education was either a curiosity like the six-toed sloth, or else it was given to satisfying the catechical demands of an established denomination. The world has changed, and the major faiths and several minor ones are probably well represented in our communities. The reduction of suspicion, hostility, and misunderstanding is the aim or religious education. And, I aver, it is a noble aim, one worthy of our best attention.

Jul 3, 2006, 10:29 AM
    Nods in agreement.. nod nod nod lol
    Actually parents teach it, actively or subconsciously, whether they realise it or not.....as they do many many things.

Some do, and some don't.

M

Jul 3, 2006, 10:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman
    by colbtech

Thank you!
    Agree ++++++++++

M

Jul 3, 2006, 11:03 AM
    There are some enlightened countries in the world where religious education is a normal part of the school curriculum.....curriculum that deals with the major principles of the world's six major faiths.
    Yes actually I knew that Morganite mostly because I attended such a course as offered in my enlightened school system but thank you for the reminder here. For the record, the course was an elective, as I think it has to be given that this took place in the US.

Education is not a matter of forcing someone to read a book, but of enticing them to open their minds to the world of ideas, and teaching them how best to use their minds to think straight and reach conclusions based on evidence, rather than be fetterd throughout their lives by the chains of ignorance, bigotry, and intolerance.
    That is precisely how I experienced the majority of my educational life and I feel very fortunate for it. I am mindful however that too many educational facilities, especially some around the world like very ones you mentioned, do not work like that. They should, but they don't... which is why I raised the compliance issue. And even if they do, the damage done by parental prejudice is a tall order for even the best of required education to overcome. You only need look at black history education in the US to see evidence of that.

Parents who are not educated in mind expanding experiences and who do not think on life's major aims, etc., are unable to pass anything on to their children other than baseless prejudices.
    And trust me, they will claim that as "education" despite any semantics lessons you might offer. And there are many ways to "educate" or become "educated"... one of the most potent for me is the power of example. I believe it may be for many others too.

The reduction of suspicion, hostility, and misunderstanding is the aim of religious education. It is a noble aim, one worthy of our best attention.
    I agree! And my point was there is simply no stopping the individual from seeking enlightenment (despite his/her poor parenting or educational system) if they are in a free-access information environment. I am actually more on your side than you may realise Morganite since I believe religious education has merit. Its just when I look beyond the idea, I see practical application problems and I was discussing those and offering a viable alternative.

PS - Do you need to proofread your signature line, Morganite, "do you feel to sing along" doesn't seem complete?

Jul 5, 2006, 04:57 PM
    Yes actually I knew that Morganite mostly because I attended such a course as offered in my enlightened school system but thank you for the reminder here. For the record, the course was an elective, as I think it has to be given that this took place in the US.

That is precisely how I experienced the majority of my educational life and I feel very fortunate for it. I am mindful however that too many educational facilites, especially some around the world like very ones you mentioned, do not work like that. They should, but they don't... which is why I raised the compliance issue. And even if they do, the damage done by parental prejudice is a tall order for even the best of required education to overcome. You only need look at black history education in the US to see evidence of that.

And trust me, they will claim that as "education" dispite any semantics lessons you might offer. And there are many ways to "educate" or become "educated"....one of the most potent for me is the power of example. I believe it may be for many others too.

I agree! And my point was there is simply no stopping the individual from seeking enlightenment (despite his/her poor parenting or educational system) if they are in a free-access information environment. I am actually more on your side than you may realise Morganite since I believe religious education has merit. Its just when I look beyond the idea, I see practical application problems and I was discussing those and offering a viable alternative.

PS - Do you need to proofread your signature line, Morganite, "do you feel to sing along" doesn't seem complete?

Val,

My signature line is good spoken English of a particular type. However, I recently changed it for another line (vide sub) so it ought not to irk further.

Thank you for your clarifications.

M

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bible Education [ 1 Answers ]

What does it mean HIS EYE IS ON THE SPARROW :confused:

Veteran Education [ 1 Answers ]

I am a "Korean Conflict" veteran with a ten percent disability, as well as a "Cal Vet". Does anyone know how I can find out what type of educational benefits I am entitled to? Thanks, Kavanaugh

Education [ 2 Answers ]

Which is the African city named after an American President

Home education [ 2 Answers ]

Where can I get help with setting my son suitable maths english and reading work. He is 14 years old

View more questions Search