Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2009, 02:20 PM

We are talking two different hole saws. In both cases the centering bit HAS BEEN REMOVED. That's why you need the "template" to take the place of the centering bit.

The 1/4" hole saw has no centering bit when purchased. Stratmando mentioned drilling around the shank. I mentioned a Dremel bit.

The 1/2" hole saw (my estimate of the size needed) is to provide a SMOOTH HOLE to glue in your dowel. That's the perimeter you can't breech.

If you get the right 1/2" hole saw, the centering bit is removeable (set screw).
    wilsonfrench Posts: 62, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2009, 03:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    We are talking two different hole saws. In both cases the centering bit HAS BEEN REMOVED. That's why you need the "template" to take the place of the centering bit.

The 1/4" hole saw has no centering bit when purchased. Stratmando mentioned drilling around the shank. I mentioned a Dremel bit.

The 1/2" hole saw (my estimate of the size needed) is to provide a SMOOTH HOLE to glue in your dowel. That's the perimeter you can't breech.

If you get the right 1/2" hole saw, the centering bit is removeable (set screw).
    I can only find a 1/2" hole saw (I cannot find 1/4" one)... even so, I cannot find a 1/2" one without the drill bit....
    the screw is embedded about 3/4" into the wood (which is about 1 1/'8 thick total)... so, even if I drill around this embedded screw... I don't want to go right though the piece of wood. The wood is a railing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower Cartridge replacement halted due to stripped screw set. [ 2 Answers ]

Need assistance! I am in the process of replacing a shower cartridge but this project has been halted at it's first step removing the handle to obtain access to the cartridge. I have tried various things all of which has had the unfortunate event of stripping the screw set head so that there isn't...

Remove round handle without screw on top [ 5 Answers ]

Handles are gold plated with no visible screw. They are round and difficult to grasp. I want to replace them with different handles.

Simply unscrewing a screw that is stripped [ 6 Answers ]

How do I unscrew a screw that is stripped?

Stripped screw [ 1 Answers ]

I asked the question yesterday about what to do if you have a stripped screw and can't get it out. I went to the hardware store and they told me to buy a screw extractor set so I did. I have tried to use it but I am not having any luck. Any ideas?:(

View more questions Search