Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mnybgs06 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2008, 06:01 PM
    Sister, wedding, credit card, behind on payments and a husband who refuses to work.
    I was wondering if there was some type of legal action I could take for the situation I am in. On August 2nd 2008, My sister (Christy) had gotten married. I told her and her husband (Travis) that I would give them a credit card to use, and to only use on their wedding. I did tell them that I expect them to pay it off within a timely manor. The wedding was around $3900. They ran it up to over $4800. They had paid one payment on time but the next was late, and ruining my credit score. After I had called them both to find out where the payments were, My brother-in-law said there was nothing legal I could do about getting it back because the card was in my sisters madden name. The first time the card was used was the night of their wedding. And all other transactions were after their wedding and Travis had used it without my sister even being around. My brother-in-law has refused to keep a job, stating that he has a mental illness which is keeping him from working. Now they are behind on that payment plus other payments.

Cory
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2008, 06:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mnybgs06 View Post
    I was wondering if there was some type of legal action I could take for the situation I am in. On August 2nd 2008, My sister (Christy) had gotten married. I told her and her husband (Travis) that I would give them a credit card to use, and to only use on their wedding. I did tell them that I expect them to pay it off within a timely manor. The wedding was around $3900. They ran it up to over $4800. They had paid one payment on time but the next was late, and ruining my credit score. After I had called them both to find out where the payments were, My brother-in-law said there was nothing legal I could do about getting it back because the card was in my sisters madden name. The first time the card was used was the night of their wedding. And all other transactions were after their wedding and Travis had used it without my sister even being around. My brother-in-law has refused to keep a job, stating that he has a mental illness which is keeping him from working. Now they are behind on that payment plus other payments.

Cory

The maiden name vs married name has no bearing - it's the same person.

You would have to sue them both - who signed for the charges? Then the hard part is collecting.

In Small Claims Court you will tell your side and present your proof; they will tell their side; the Judge will rule.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 24, 2008, 06:31 PM

Words escape me, I don't know what to say about this situation. How silly could you have been. I know it was your sister, but a future broinlaw is bad enough. I mean, how well did you know him ?

You are responsible for the debt, it is your card, and your sister is a secondary user, so hold onto your seat, this gets worse!

GET ALL THE CARDS BACK Cory!!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 24, 2008, 06:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mnybgs06 View Post
    My brother-in-law said there was nothing legal I could do about getting it back because the card was in my sisters madden name.
    Ok, I'm confused. Is the account in your name and you got another card on the account in your sister's name, or is the whole account in your sister's name?

If this was an accessory card on your account then you can sue them for whatever they charged.

If the account is in her name, then you have nothing to worry about.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2008, 06:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Ok, I'm confused. Is the account in your name and you got another card on the account in your sister's name, or is the whole account in your sister's name?

If this was an accessory card on your account then you can sue them for whatever they charged.

If the account is in her name, then you have nothing to worry about.

And if OP "owns" the card, cancel it -
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2008, 06:36 PM

Cancel the card first and file a claim in Small Claims Court and see if you can recoup your loses. I seriously doubt you will be able to recover a dime from sis and deadbeat hubby, but you meant well and they just happily took advantage of you. What were you thinking?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Delinquent credit card payments [ 2 Answers ]

Is it likely that a creditor will sue for amounts under 5,000?

Credit card payments [ 2 Answers ]

Someone told me as long as you are trying and can only pay 10 or 15 dollars a month ,a credit card compnay can not sue you or garnish your wages, is this right ?

Making Credit card payments by phone [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I don't know if this is the correct location for this (this is my first time posting), but hopefully someone can help me. I do the bookkeeping for a small medical practice. I handle all of the bill paying, purchasing etc. I went to pay a credit card statement by phone the other day, but...

Credit card payments [ 3 Answers ]

What of account should I make a credit card payment? Other expense I don't want the payment to show as an expense since I have classfield all the expenses that have been charged. I don't want it to be counted twice.

View more questions Search