Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Nov 24, 2008, 05:30 PM
    And so the fun begins
    Well its winter(not officially of course, but there is snow on the ground and that counts for something) and since my dog is a husky well you just know he'll want to be outside a lot not to mention how we are going to start skijoring soon. My question is I bought booties for him to protect the pads on his paws, and he doesn'T seem to like them AT ALL. He just keeps picking up his front and back paws and shaking them. Is there anyone who uses the booties for their dogs, if so could you tell me if your dog did this in the beginning. What can I do to help him to see the booties as a good thing?
    All posts greatly Appreciated!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2008, 06:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rex123 View Post
    Well its winter(not officially of course, but there is snow on the ground and that counts for something) and since my dog is a husky well you just know he'll want to be outside a lot not to mention how we are gonna start skijoring soon. My question is I bought booties for him to protect the pads on his paws, and he doesn'T seem to like them AT ALL. He just keeps picking up his front and back paws and shaking them. Is there anyone who uses the booties for their dogs, if so could you tell me if your dog did this in the begining. What can I do to help him to see the booties as a good thing?
    All posts greatly Appreciated!

I haven't seen you on the Board lately - I guess we travel in different circles. Anyway, it's so good to see your name.

I talked to the Vet some time ago about this - I have Shepherds and they love the cold - and he said as long as they have the ability to come inside they really don't need boots and to check their pads on a regular basis. He said salt is, of course, a problem but my dogs are in the backyard and I don't use any melting substance. Ice is also an issue.

I know if you walk your dog and there are melting substances around you're supposed to rinse or wash their pads.

I tried booties on my last dog - I wrestled them on, he walked and shook a foot, walked and shook another foot and eventually sat down and wouldn't move. It was not a success. I guess dogs get used to them but by that time I decided the boots weren't necessary.

For that matter, I hate boots myself!
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 24, 2008, 06:57 PM

If you really think you want Rex to wear booties, then you have to get him to see them as a positive experience. Do you remember how Cesar introduces unwelcomed objects to dogs? I've never seen him do it with booties (lol) but I assume it would be the same deal. Use positive reinforcement, and maybe, just maybe, Rex might get used to them.

Good luck! I'm sure Rex will be fine with or without booties. He is a Husky after all, and I know they don't put booties on the working dogs in the winter. ;)

Nov 29, 2008, 07:40 AM

Good news. After I asked this question, I decided to try something that someone had suggested. You see when I first took interest in skijoring I was told that I would need some type of protection for my dog's paws, which didn't really surprise me since I already knew how he salt and snow can crack their paws. So when I saw a pair of boots on sale I decided to buy them. And after I asked this question I went outside put rex on his pulling harness atached to the 20ft. Lead and ran. He got used to the booties very quickly.
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2008, 07:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rex123 View Post
    Good news. After I asked this question, I decided to try something that someone had suggested. You see when I first took interest in skijoring I was told that I would need some type of protection for my dog's paws, which didn't really surprise me since I already knew how he salt and snow can crack their paws. So when I saw a pair of boots on sale I decided to buy them. And after I asked this question I went outside put rex on his pulling harness atached to the 20ft. lead and ran. He got used to the booties very quickly.

Rex is apparently far more good natured and accepting than my dogs. I would have ended up wearing the booties.

Nov 29, 2008, 08:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Rex is apparently far more good natured and accepting than my dogs. I would have ended up wearing the booties.
    Well let me just put it this way, when it comes to going for a walk or a run, he has only one thing on his mind and its not what he has on his feet.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 29, 2008, 03:01 PM

I wonder if you could get Rex some kids socks instead, if he's not liking the boots. Have you seen the ones with grips on the bottom? Maybe you could find some nice thick ones? Just a thought. :)
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2008, 03:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by starbuck8 View Post
    I wonder if you could get Rex some kids socks instead, if he's not liking the boots. Have you seen the ones with grips on the bottom? Maybe you could find some nice thick ones? Just a thought. :)

I was thinking about a garter belt and stockings? Well, technically TWO garter belts and stockings - :D
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 29, 2008, 03:14 PM
    Judy, had to spread the rep. If I tried putting booties on my dogs, they'd get together, form a plan and somehow I'd end up hog tied in the crate, I'm sure of it! :D:eek:
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 29, 2008, 03:40 PM
    I was thinking about a garter belt and stockings? Well, technically TWO garter belts and stockings - :D
    How 'bout fishnet stockings? Poor Rex... LOL! Alty, I can just see Jasper holding you down, Chewy tying you up, and Indy being the lookout! :eek:

Nov 30, 2008, 03:33 AM
    How 'bout fishnet stockings? Poor Rex...LOL!

Now come on guys... we have to draw the line somewhere... lol:D
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 30, 2008, 03:44 AM

Yes, we don't want to give poor Rex a complex! His masculine side would be scarred for life! Your mommie won't do that to you Rex... honest... we swear! :D
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 30, 2008, 03:51 AM

Rex, I watched a programme the other day on sled dog competitions. They were almost all huskies with some mutts but none had anything on their feet. They did stress though that at rest time, all dogs' feet were inspected thoroughly. Huskies need those nails bare to dig into the ice and snow to get a purchase when running. The boots would not enable this for safety sake.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 30, 2008, 04:16 AM

Hi, Star, I know some people in our area who do keep sled dogs, enter competitions, etc. They are not outfitted with boots. I do see what rex means though when his husky gets out there working on that sled he forgets everything but being out and running. That's what they love best. They are the epitome of perseverance.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 30, 2008, 04:24 AM

Exactly. That is what they were bred for. That's what they live to do, and is their passion. If they don't get to do what they were originally bred to do, that is when people run into problems with their dogs. That is why they eat peoples couches and pee on their beds and so on, lol! They need to be challenged and work to do what their breed does. Otherwise, they are unstable, and you have trouble with them.

I had a little mixed teacup poodle when I was young. I remember putting little red boots on her, and it was the funniest thing I've ever seen in my life. She walked like she was drunk! LOL! Poor little girl... we made her wear them for awhile and took videos. It was just too funny not to! :D

(oh by the way... Rex is the dog, and the OP is a young girl... and a very loving one to Rex at that!)

Nov 30, 2008, 07:47 AM
    [QUOTE=tickle;1400731] Huskies need those nails bare to dig into the ice and snow to get a purchase when running.

Very good point thank you very much I never even thought of this point, so I won't use them for skijoring I'll look into the gels. But they are great for when we go on walks.

Nov 30, 2008, 07:52 AM
    (oh btw...Rex is the dog, and the OP is a young girl...and a very loving one to Rex at that!)
    Thanks for clearing that up fpr tickle. And I love him a whole bunch, but then again that could be because he never chewed up our couch, or peed on my bed.:D
    Pets Expert

Nov 30, 2008, 11:48 AM

I'm getting an image of Rex sitting next to the computer wondering "what do they have planned for me now?" :p

Rex123, if you put booties on him then he just might chew up the couch and pee your bed. Wait, Chewy (our new pup) actually did chew up my couch, and the other day he peed on my bed. Starby, help! :eek:

Silly puppies. ;)
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 30, 2008, 11:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    I'm getting an image of Rex sitting next to the computer wondering "what do they have planned for me now?" :p

Rex123, if you put booties on him then he just might chew up the couch and pee your bed. Wait, Chewy (our new pup) actually did chew up my couch, and the other day he peed on my bed. Starby, help! :eek:

Silly puppies. ;)
    I'm watching The Dog Whisperer right now... I'll get back to you! LOL!
    Pets Expert

Nov 30, 2008, 11:57 AM

Ya, I watched a few of his episodes yesterday and I tried one of the techniques on Chewy, it didn't go well.

We had a battle of the wills, I think I lost, in fact, I'm pretty sure I lost. Little poop, how many times do I have to tell him that I'm the pack leader? Jeesh, I read that Cesar Millan book to him twice and he still doesn't get it. ;) ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Lawn mower will not crank, begins to crank and locks up. [ 1 Answers ]

I try starting my lawnmower (Craftsman DLT 3000, 18.5 HP), the engine starts to crank and locks up. I remove the spark plug and engine keeps cranking. When I put the spark plug back in the engine begins to crank and locks up. I can manually turn back the pully cover on top the engine and the...

Bryant Upflow gas furnace begins to heat, shuts down, repeatedly [ 8 Answers ]

I have had this condition for several years now and my repair/installer company has attended to it several times, charged me steeply and, while the condition may be temporarily improved, they have never fully solved the problem. Here is what happens: My 1988 Bryant Day & Night furnace will come...

Adult dog begins to pee on carpet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 7 year old terrier mix dog. She was once well trained to pee outside. During the last year she has started peeing on the carpet again. She has access to a dog door throughout the day and night and I take her out regularly, however she chooses to go pee on the carpet. I rarely catch her in...

Credit card s.o.l. Begins when ? [ 1 Answers ]

Does the credit card statute of limitations begin running from the last payment made or from the right off date.opinions seem to differ and I can't find any law or statue to clarify this. Help, steve55

Word 2000, Outlook 2003: My keyboard unexpectedly begins typing gibberish. [ 1 Answers ]

For example, when I type "several years," what appears on the screen is "o.k.pan f.apo". I don't understand why or when this occurs, except that it may occur inconsistently after I've been writing something for longer than a few minutes. Usually, I have to save my work and reboot to...

View more questions Search