Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2008, 05:17 PM
    Overdrive button
    I need to know should the overdrive button be pushed off or left alone when you are in city traffic or on the highway? I think I may have this confused.
    I thought it was suppose to be pushed in for off for city driving, but my Dakota feels like it is 'holding' back with it on the off position.

Thanks
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2008, 05:20 PM

I leave my overdrive button in the ON position all the time in my 4WD Jeep Grand Cherokee. When I drive city or highway, I just leave it alone in the ON position. Don't bother turning it to OFF. That is basically there to help you when you are pulling a very heavy load to make sure your automatic transmission shifts properly under a load. Then you would turn it OFF. It's like why would you drive your car in 2nd gear instead of D (for drive).
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2008, 05:29 PM

Thanks I wasn't sure which was which.
    I know one way you should never use for everyday city driving.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Nov 25, 2008, 03:00 PM

The only reason the button was put there is to let you control shift for let's say towing, or driving in very hilly country.
    I like to turn it off when pulling a boat, or when engine strains a bit.
    ... or a long down grade (or up) in mountain areas. Let the engine do the braking rather than getting the brakes red hot.
    For the city, leave it in and pretend it's not there.
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2008, 08:14 AM

Thanks it just sounds backwards to me that if you want to use it you 'turn it off'.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dodge Ram Overdrive Lockout [ 1 Answers ]

The lock-out indicator light in my 94' Dodge Cummins Diesel 2500 Ram pickup stays on and the transmission will not shift into overdrive. I have tried disconnecting the speed indicator and checked and cleaned all the electrical contacts. If I disconnect the lockout switch it still won't shift into...

98 Accord not going into overdrive [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 98 Accord 4cyl that my son thinks is not going into overdrive. When I am driving on the freeway the RPM's at 75 mph are around 2750 and at 80 they are around 3000. I don't know if this is to high or not. I am not having any problems otherwise (knock on wood). I did notice today that...

Press sleep button and switch on/off button to be able to see login screen [ 1 Answers ]

Friend of mine has got problem with his new desktop (XP SP2) , when he starts the PC it boots normally till it reaches where it shows windows XP logo then the screen gets blank (i.e he can not see the login name for users). What he used to do: is press the sleep button on the keyboard, then...

Overdrive light [ 4 Answers ]

I have recently bought a used 98 ford ranger. This question is I think pretty simple yet I'm kind of confused. The overdrive on the gear change column stick can be activated by pushing it in. I drive in town for most of my driving. The light say overdrive off when I push it in. Overdrive can be...

Overdrive on F-150 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I just bought a '99 F150, but I'm having a problem with it. If I'm driving in the city, and get up to 45-50mph, when I start to slow, I can feel the truck drop out of overdrive kind of hard, and then the overdrive OFF light starts flashing. There is no way to get it to stop flashing...

View more questions Search