Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lennysherman_55 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2006, 03:59 AM
    Norton System Works won't un-install
    Parts of the Norton System Works ('03) CAN'T be gotten rid of. Especially, the NPROTECT.exe (for the recycle bin) process refuses to be killed so I can install an older version of Norton Utilities ('02 without Norton Anti-Virus). The recycle bin won't work at all now and I also want to get rid of the Norton Anti-Virus so it won't interfere with AVG's anti-virus program. I can't use Windows XP's 'Install/Uninstall' and the damn Symantic pop up keeps imploring me to enable Norton Anti-Virus auto-protect service, which I disabled. There is NO un-install utility included with the software. I am running it on a DELL Pentium 3 laptop (600Mhz with 320 MB of RAM). Please Help!
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

Jun 28, 2006, 04:52 AM
    Try safe mode and disconnect from the internet while uninstalling... norton was a ***** for me to get rid of also... but if I remember right I did do it but in safe mode
    Northwind_Dagas Posts: 348, Reputation: 83

Jun 28, 2006, 05:54 AM
    Symantec has a special tool called Rnav2003.exe that can manually uninstall when the usual method of uninstalling fails. Read about and obtain the tool here:
    http://service1.symantec.com/support...01092114452606
    lennysherman_55 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2006, 07:45 AM
    Yeah, found another Norton un-install program, SYMClean.exe, (NOT from Symantec) and it took me back to 'Install/Uninstall' where I clicked the 'change' button- it worked! I don't know if that program really made a difference (originally, I looked for an 'uninstall' button, which wasn't there) or I just didn't do it correctly the first time. My question for any Symantec people out there is "Why make it so difficult?" You COULD have included an un-install utility with the software and this would've made it sooo much easier! Thanks for the input, anyway. I'll be using this site often.:) :) :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton bay 7 light Track system... Nothing Works [ 3 Answers ]

Okay I installed a track light about a year ago and it has worked for that time. A few weeks ago everything failed on it. None of the lights work. I took it apart and tested the main power coming into the light, from the breaker, it tested out okay. Insdide the fixture is a transformer and...

How to install a running P-trap in septic system [ 14 Answers ]

My husband and I have a country place that we go to for about 4 months of the year. It is on a septic system. The system was put in in 1998. Everything works fine with one exception. After we have been in the country place for about 6 weeks, the septic begins to smell. There is some slight...

Norton System Works install problem [ 10 Answers ]

I have never had a problem installing NSW on my XP system. Now I have had no luck trying 3 times to install NSW 2005. It does load OK and then when I restart, the splash window apprears with the text message: "The smartest way to optimize and protect your PC" and below it is the " NEXT" button....

Norton/system restore [ 13 Answers ]

Hi there, As a newbie could use some help. My system restore does not restore. When I try to restore to previous setting it appears to go through the motions and then says it cannot restore. I have set new restore dates but it still does not restore. Read somewhere system restore is a useless...

Install operating system [ 1 Answers ]

I picked up a second computer that has no operating system. Is there any way to use the operating system on my working computer and install it in the second one?

View more questions Search