Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    afilguy Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2008, 11:57 AM
    Clean Install?
    I have a lap top I want to erase the contents of BUT still keep the operating system (Vista) on it... Problem is I do Not have the vista CD.
    How do I do That?
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2008, 12:08 PM

Without a recovery disc or a vista disc, your best bet would be to go to Programs and Features in control panel and remove/uninstall each program 1 by 1

After that, go through windows explorer and delete any remaining folders that still may be there

Once you have uninstalled all unwanted software and programs, download and run ccleaner, this will clean/optimize registry and find and remove useless info in registry

ccleaner (Freeware)
    Download CCleaner 2.13.720 - FileHippo.com
    On the right hand side, click download latest version

Nov 24, 2008, 03:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by seahwk83 View Post
    without a recovery disc or a vista disc, your best bet would be to go to Programs and Features in control panel and remove/uninstall each program 1 by 1

after that, go through windows explorer and delete any remaining folders that still may be there

Once you have uninstalled all unwanted software and programs, download and run ccleaner, this will clean/optimize registry and find and remove useless info in registry

ccleaner (Freeware)
    Download CCleaner 2.13.720 - FileHippo.com
    on the right hand side, click download latest version

Thank you for the tips. So Vista doesn't have the same utility to clear all installed programs while still leaving the OS intact... I forget what it's called, it's like backing your computer up to Zero... ok thank you for your answer!
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2008, 04:30 PM

No, just reinstall from scratch

Nov 24, 2008, 05:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by seahwk83 View Post
    no, just reinstall from scratch
    I don't have the disk though
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2008, 08:29 PM

If no avail disk to reinstall from scratch, just use suggestions above
    To clean up what you can, should get most of it but won't be starting fresh
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2008, 06:07 AM

I have a VIAO with a hidden partition. This allows bringing machine back to start.
    What Laptop do you have?

Nov 29, 2008, 04:56 PM
    I have a Gateway T-1412.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Install a Hard Drive - Install Error [ 11 Answers ]

HELP! I have a Compaq Presario 5333cl desktop with an Seagate 80GB HD (IDE). Running Windows XP SP2. Am using Casper XP 3.0 cloning software, (which worked perfectly on my Dell). Installed WD 320GB HD in disk #2 position. Both drives set to cable select. (Casper works within Windows, so...

BATCH files silent install or unassisted install? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, :confused: I have many application's that I install at my place of employment. These applications have been packaged into a .exe, I currently install these apps VIA Batch files as there are many prerequisites required to install before installing the application itself i.e.. Oracle 9 etc....

Should she clean it up? [ 3 Answers ]

This might be a little long, but I will try to make it as short as possible. I live in a townhome that I rent. Our landlord pays the HOA dues. Our next door neighbor loves and feeds the birds daily. I don't have a problem with this but she is making a huge mess with all the bird seed that is...

Clean up [ 1 Answers ]

Sometimes after downloading something a"clean up" button appears. What is this & should I select it? Thks, noboat

View more questions Search