Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    daisygrace Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2008, 08:05 AM
    Biological father now wants to meet his daughter
    The father left town when I told him I was pregnant, wouldn't sign the birth certificate, however threw court he was forced to take a DNA test, he was confirmed the father, the court made he pay child support, he never got added to the birth cert, I got married when the baby was 5 months old, my husband had been with me since I was pregnant. The father is now taking us threw court to meet his daughter, she is over two & ahalf, I don't think he is even a natural guardian as she was conceived before the 1st of July 2005, any advice out there, this is very upsetting for my husband who is knowen as Dad, Thanks
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2008, 08:47 AM

It won't be hard for him to get visits. He has already been proven to be the father so he dosen't have to do that. Because the child has never met him it will (most likely) start with supervised visits a couple hours a week for a few months. Then a few more hours and alone time. Then after that goes well a couple weekends a month. That is a graduated visitation schedule and what is most ordered when one parent hasn't been involved with the child for a period that would make the child not know the parent so as to not stress the child out.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2008, 03:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by daisygrace View Post
    The father left town when i told him i was pregnant, wouldnt sign the birth certificate, however threw court he was forced to take a DNA test, he was confirmed the father, the court made he pay child support, he never got added to the birth cert, i got married when the baby was 5 months old, my husband had been with me since i was pregnant. The father is now taking us threw court to meet his daughter, she is over two & ahalf, i dont think he is even a natural guardian as she was conceived before the 1st of july 2005, any advice out there, this is very upsetting for my husband who is knowen as Dad, Thanks

I agree with everything Stinawords said - but I don't understand the "natural guardian as she was conceived before the 1st of July 2005" sentence.

Unforunately for you the "boyfriend" is the child's father, has been supporting the child and has a right to know her.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 24, 2008, 05:09 PM

Yes he is the bio father, and has been proved so, He will have vistis rights, you may go to court and get it done though supervision at first, and then require counseling before he can get to take the child on his own and then over night
    But yes he will get visits
    daisygrace Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2008, 12:47 AM
    My husband & I met with my child's lawyer today from the court, we hopefully have come to an agreement before heading to court, we have had court cunselling didn't reach an agreement, but threw the child's lawyer we may have, she did a far better job than the court counsellors. The biological father may not be a natural guardian but can become one, but also so can my husband who has raised her since I was pregnant, The biological father has requested up to four visits a year, email updates with photos up to four times a year too, so we all are happy with this, the visits will be with my husband, child & the bio, father, everyone is happy with this. The bio, father works six months of the year overseas, he is home every second month with his new wife & child & is happy to drive twelve hours up here to see his other child, I am happy & think it will be along time before he will be asking to take her home for holidays! While she is far too young & the distance between us. One more think out of interest the lawyer said she will make it clear to the court that she has a bond/realationship with her known Dad, so that this parental order is to allow the father to have contact, not so much to build a realationship, I was also pleased to hear if something happened to me my husband would get to keep my daughter, we have other children & the court wouldn't take her from her family home away from her brothers & her dad she has known since birth, So thaanks for all your advice I know it is different for everybody & their cirumstances, I hope something's on here will help other families too, Thanks:)
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Nov 25, 2008, 08:18 AM

Thank you for letting us know how it worked out. As everyone said he would get visits, I'm glad that it is an arrangement that everyone likes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a father loose custidy if his not the biological father? [ 1 Answers ]

My husband has a 5 year old with son with a girl he had a thing with. She loved him and therefor she got pregnant and told him the child was his. She put him trough the ringer cause she wanted to be with and she realized he was never going to be with her she signed her rights to the child away. Her...

Father abandoned daughter one and a half years ago and step father wants to adopt [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question. My daughters father completely stopped contact with my daughter a year and a half ago. We were separated for eight years, Since then I have remarried and gone on with my life. He suddenly stopped all contact with her a year and a half ago, stopped child support about three...

Can my husband adopt my daughter since the biological father is deceased? [ 5 Answers ]

My daughter is 9 years old and her biological father just died July 30th. My husband has been in her life for 7 years and I would like him to officially adopt her now. Also, I get social security for her every month so will that stop if my husband adopts?

Adoption from biological Father to Step Father [ 5 Answers ]

Hello: One of my employees has children by her now husband and former husband. Her present husband wants to adopt her two children from her former husband. The biological Father is willing to relinquish his rights. She wants to draw up the papers without an Attorney because of the cost. If...

View more questions Search