Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ronerin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2008, 09:46 PM
    Making a Lead Balloon Fly
    So Im a little lost on how to start looking for a solution here...

Given that you have a spherical balloon made of lead with the shell being .1mm thick. And filled with Helium.

What is the volume required for it to float?

P=10^5Pa
    T=300K
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Nov 24, 2008, 09:06 AM

What diameter is the balloon?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 24, 2008, 11:30 AM

What is P and T? Is this the temp and pressure of the atmosphere that the baloon is foat in? You would set the weight of the lead sphere = weight of air displaced. If we assume that the interior of the lead balloon is a vacuum, then the total weight of the balloon is:

where is the radius, is the thickness, and is the density of lead. Set this equal to the weight of air that the balloon displaces:

Use the ideal gas law to calclulate the density of the air:

PV = nRT, or n/V = P/RT. Multiply this by the molecular weight of air to find the air's density given P and T.

Only other unknown is the density of lead - you must have a table where you can look that up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Volume of a balloon [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I would like to know how do I measure a volume of a balloon blown by using water. I think I can put it in two buckets and measure the amount of water that left the smaller bucket into the bigger one. But would that be my answer the amount of water left in the larger bucket or do I have to...

Gas balloon direction [ 2 Answers ]

Please any one help the following question? http://www.geocities.com/nk7jaffna/askmehelpdesk/baloon.JPG

The Balloon [ 1 Answers ]

A little boy blows up a balloon and starts flicking it all around the house With his finger. His mother tells him to stop it as he's liable to break Something, but the boy continues. "Johnny!" Mom screams. "Knock it off." You're going to break something. He stops and eventually Mom leaves for a...

How thick is the lead in a lead joint [ 2 Answers ]

Im getting ready to take the Indiana pluming test and I was wanting to know how thick the lead Is suppose to be in the hub of the cast iron.

Contract balloon payment [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am considering a Contract for Deed purchase of a home with a balloon due in 3-5 years. I know I can make the home payments, but my concern is financing the balloon. If housing prices increase while I am paying my Contract, can I use this "difference" to help me pay off the contract? ...

View more questions Search