Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carrieee4 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2008, 09:34 PM
    An old borin print
    I have an old print from my grandmother it says on the left hand side 1925 Borin Mfg Co. It is a picture of a girl with some type of bandage around her head and above it a circular object with stings that were attached to the bandage but only one sting is still attached. Her head is hung low like she can no longer hold it up. She is sitting on top of what looks like the world. Can any one tell me who the artist is and what the symbolism is.
    Carrie
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2008, 01:47 AM

Hi, carrieee4!

I'm sorry that no one has yet come along to address your question!

Is there not a title anywhere on this print, please?

Thanks!

Feb 21, 2009, 07:07 PM

No there is no title on this picture. It has haunted me since I was a child. My grandmother was an artist who copied this print as a oil painting and I had seen it since I was a young child. She once told me if my memery serves me right that the women represented the last person alive. And that the strings that were attached by a wrap around her head symbolized faith charity and hope. And the one string that was not broken was hope because once hope was lost there would be no more earth which was symbolized by the round blue sphere she was on.
    I don't know if this is true or helps you but I'd really would like to know the title of this print.
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2009, 11:31 PM

Hi again, carrieee4!

Would it be possible for you to post an image of the print here, please?

We don't guarantee results, but we can try!

Thanks!
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2009, 01:00 PM

I agree with Clough.

If you would like to see if anyone can help you in the analysis of the this image, you would really have to post a picture of it. I appreciate the fact that you have tried to describe it, but I know that I can't even begin to guess the image's meaning without ever seeing it. If you do post it, you'll have a better shot at getting the opinions you're looking for.
    Kathy Soltani Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2009, 04:27 PM
    This is a print of a victorian painting entitled, "Hope," by Frederick Watts. The lyre the figure is holding has all of the strings broken save one, which represents the hope of mankind. The figure has been referred to as the last person on earth. I just bought the print myself and cannot get an estimate on the value.

Jun 6, 2009, 06:45 PM

Thank you Kathy. That is exactly what I was looking for. As soon as I read your comments I remembered that was exactly what my grandmother told me about the painting. My grandmother was a painter and had copied this painting and as I little girl I fell in love with it. When I found the print in such great condition and coloring I had to have it.:D

Jun 6, 2009, 08:08 PM

I'm so glad! I love this painting too! Today, I found the Borin print from 1925 and had to bring it home. The face is so sad and mysterious. Look up the history of the work and you can read the whole story yourself. I would have liked your grandmother! She had great taste! Enjoy.

Jun 7, 2009, 07:35 PM

I have just found a web site where someone is selling this print for $240.00. Collectibles and Antiques in CYBERATTIC's Rafters My print is in excellent condition and the frame is original never opened and resealed. It would be nice if it was worth this much. Check out the web site.

Jun 7, 2009, 08:16 PM
    Carrie- thanks so much! I will check out the website. That wouldn't be a bad value for my five dollar investment! I loved the print so much, I had to give it a home! I can't wait to read more about this. Enjoy your week and thanks again!
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2009, 08:30 PM

Hi, All!

I'm glad that there's been a resolution to the issue!

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Print by Borin Arts Prod. Co. [ 9 Answers ]

I have this print entitled "Ye Old cottage" reproduced by Borin Arts Prod. Co. It seems like a rather old print. I received it at an estate sale. The name on the print is very hard to read. I think it might be by a Harris or Hiauz Fonualutz. Like I said very hard to read. Does anyone know of this...

Borin house work [ 9 Answers ]

I have no self motivation to get up an do house work, my house is a tip, well not as bad as some, but I'm constantly running around after a 3yr old, I'm just about to get up an attempt it now, how do you motivate yourself to do house work, I want to see how many responses I can get before I'm...

Borin Art [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I just bought a house, The first owners passed away and their children sold the house and it had a lot of stuff in it they did'nt want. We found a picture that is very old on the back it says Vivdoil Processed Painting,Borin Art Products Corp. Chicago Ill. The painting is called "...

Borin Art Products [ 1 Answers ]

I was given 2 prints with Borin Art Products and #1563 stamped on the back.. They are prints of a flowers in a vase printed in pastel colors set in an oblong redwood like glass enclosed frame. I know nothing about these prints, can any tell me anything about them, do that hold any value? ...

Borin Art Products [ 1 Answers ]

I just had two pictures from Borin Art Product on Cicero Ave in Chicago given to me. They are not signed and I can not find any info on the company. Can anyone tell me where to get some information on them. They are numbered on the Back Thank You

View more questions Search