Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ray Williams Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2008, 05:45 PM
    Murder and suicide Luxton family Devon England
    I am currently researching prior to writing a radio play loosely based on a murder/suicide which occurred in Devon in the 1970,s. Three members of a family named Luxton died. No other persons were involved. I have read the John Cornwell book on the subject but would like to view material, newspaper reports, summaries etc. written at the time. Also would like to hear from anyone in the area who has any information to offer.
    clapham1234 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2009, 08:13 AM

Hi Ray,

I'm actually part of that Luxton family and my grandfather still lives in the area. He has the book at home which is the only reason I know about the story. You probably know that there's a film about it called "The Recluse".
    Ray Williams Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2009, 09:16 PM

Clapham 1234. Yes. I know about the film and the book. Is it possible to reach your Grandfather? Ray.
    Lee Fontanella Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2009, 09:41 AM

I, too, have embarked on a writing project regarding the Luxtons. I am in the US now, but will reside in Edinburgh (March 8-Apr. 4) and Glasgow (Apr. 4-May 31) as the Andrew Carnegie Centenary Professor for the Scottish system (of universities, archives, museums, libraries). I will be lecturing all over Scotland; also in Oxford and at the V&A in London. Please contact me soon, if you wish to discuss or--even better--to meet somewhere about this.
    poseidon Posts: 244, Reputation: 55

Nov 25, 2011, 10:15 AM
    I know this is a very late post as I see you posted your original question over 3 years ago but I hope you will see this.

I don't know how you have got on with your research but like others I have been very interested in what actually happened to the Luxton's.

There was a half hour program aired on TV about what is thought to have happened and I managed to contact the producer of the program and he sent me a copy of the documentary.

I know that the local paper, The Western Morning News' has reports archived and I feel sure they will send you copies if you ask them. At least it's worth asking them.

Although I found the Cornwell book extremely interesting I was puzzled by one aspect of it.

According to Cornwell they found 3 shotgun shells, two were spent but the third was still in the gun and un-fired.

As there were three deaths, allegedly two murders and a suicide I cannot understand why there were only 2 spent cartridges. Unless somehow the brother and sister were killed with a single shot how come there were apparently only two actual shots fired?

John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Was it suicide or murder? [ 21 Answers ]

Since the psychics who've responded to my questions on this forum have been so very helpful, I'd like to ask you to help me out one last time on something much more important than anything I've asked to date: Did my sister-in-law really commit suicide as the coroner's office has reported to us, or...

True Story - Murder/suicide - Luxtons' - Devon, UK [ 11 Answers ]

Can any one please tell me if they know the title of a short movie or TV film made about the Luxtons' There were 2 brothers and a sister who were farmers in Devon, UK. Robert Luxton killed his brother Alan and sister Frances then killed himself. There is a book about the murders called...

Florida Disclosure regarding murder or suicide in a home for sale [ 5 Answers ]

Hello; Never used this site before, forgive me if I'm slow or do something wrong. Does anybody know what the law in the state of Florida is regarding what a seller is supposed to disclose to a potential home buyer when there has been a murder or violent suicide in the home? As I was moving into...

View more questions Search