Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BlackPanther Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2008, 04:31 PM
    How can I get a wireless signal where I want it?

Dad's router and main PC is at point A. I want to connect using laptop's wifi from point B but I don't get any signal.
    I only get the signal (and a very strong one at that) if I go to point C. However that's not practical because it's on the roof & exposed to the weather!

I don't get a signal neither if I put the laptop on the window-sill under point C.

My guess is that the signal isn't passing because of the thick wall and lots of soil/earth because of the slope...

I do get a signal if I stand near the window, and hold the laptop outside with both hands outstretched as to get very near point C but that's obviously not practical either...

What I want is to get the wifi signal next to the window, so that I can put a desk near the window and stay with the laptop there. Or get the signal so that I can use it from the desk at the bottom floor. Either way it makes no difference for me as long as I get the signal indoors.

I've read about cantennas and the like, but I'm not sure whether they'll apply in my case since the signal is very strong outside, I don't really need to boost it but just 'turn' it round a corner.
    Another problem to using a cantenna is that my laptop's got an internal Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN which has got nowhere in which to plug an external antenna.

I wouldn't want to spend a fortune to get this working, not more than €70 preferably but I do need guidance as to what I might need to buy please!

Oh and I've got an Infosmart INAP88 802.11b Wireless LAN Access Pointwhich I can use, if it is possible to use it in my case?

Is it possible for me to connect wireless this way -

Laptop wifi -- Infosmart -- Dad's router -- Internet?

If yes, do I have to connect the Infosmart with ethernet cable to my laptop or will the lappie's wifi connect to the Infosmart?

Thanks a lot!
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Nov 23, 2008, 10:33 PM

You would need to use an external antenna for your wireless adapter.
    BlackPanther Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2008, 09:23 AM
    Thank you but the thing is that my laptop isn't recognizing the WAP (note it's a WAP not a Router) :confused:

I'm sure I'm missing out something.

Ideally yes, I would put an antenna on point C. connect antenna to WAP, connect WAP to laptop - wireless or wired...
    dcs932 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2008, 01:31 PM
    You are being limited with the signal as it is trying to pass through the ground and wall to you. You have a couple of choices.
    1. Depending upon the distance you can run a ethernet wire from your father's house to yours and then connect the end at your house to the laptop or to a WAP inside of your house. This will give you the use of his internet connection and WiFi at your place if that is legal where you live.
    2. You can try to install a repeater with the antennae close to C. If the antennae can pick up the signal you can extend it into your place. This would again require the purchase of anther access point and defining it as a repeater.
    3. Have you tried using an external antennae on your Dad's WAP. If you can get it high enough you may be able to get the signal to your place. I doubt it will work but you can try
    Just some thoughts
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Nov 24, 2008, 02:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPanther View Post
    Thank you but the thing is that my laptop isn't recognizing the WAP (note it's a WAP not a Router) :confused:

I'm sure I'm missing out something.

Ideally yes, I would put an antenna on point C. connect antenna to WAP, connect WAP to laptop - wireless or wired...

I think I was not clear on this. I am talking about an antenna for your wireless adapter. This does not matter if you are using a router with a WAP or just a WAP by itself. I am an RV'er and also have property out in the country with no cellular or broadband access. You would be surprised what a displaced city boy will do to get access out in the country.

Take a look at the instructions for the Cantenna How to build a tin can waveguide antenna

To add an external antenna adapter to a laptop, Repair4Laptop: Adding External or Internal WireLess LAN Antennas for Laptops & Notebooks

Ready to buy kits, JEFA Tech Home
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2008, 02:07 PM

Is there any point above C on another floor where you can get a signal?

Try to place the antenna's in different orientations and, if possible, one in the same orientation as the laptop screen.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weird Wireless Issue, laptop shuts down wireless network [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, here it goes. I am in the process of fixing a buddies computer. He has a dv8000 HP. When I got it, he said that it will not connect to the internet either through wireless or cat5. I brought it home, were have a wireless network and tried to connect. I get no connection and limited or no...

Connect to wireless printer and wireless router at the same time [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I can connect wirelessly to my router and I can connect wirelessly to my pinter one at a time. If I'm browsing the internet and want to print I have to break my connection to the router and connect to the printer. This is a pain in the .(especially when listening to pandora radio) ...

How can I boost my Wireless Signal? [ 4 Answers ]

My Wireless Signal is 65% at the moment, but for complete satisfaction for my Nintendo Wii and Computer, I'd like it to be 80% or higher? Is there any way of doing this?

Good wireless signal but neither IE or Firefox will load pages [ 3 Answers ]

I set up a wireless home network that was working well and then abruptly quit. My daughter's desktop computer running Windows XP shows that it has a good signal from the Zyxel 660 router (provided by the phone company) but IE reports the page won't load and that it can't find the server. The...

Improving Wireless Signal [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Motorola E95 wireless router and the signal is OK and I can receive it in manyrooms in my home but I would like to increase the coverage area without a lot of fuss. I would appreciate any suggestions. While I am somewhat computer savy, I am not a tech-head. RBJ:confused:

View more questions Search