Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ariel5252 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2008, 02:32 PM
    Holiday Depression
    I wonder what's wrong with me. I never want to get together with my relatives for the holidays. I don't like Thanksgiving - all of the food preparation and craziness preparing it and weight gain after eating it. Also Christmas is so expensive. Maybe it's not that I don't love my relatives, I just don't like what we do when we get together. And there are always so many pressures and expectations.

Help.

Thanks.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Nov 23, 2008, 03:00 PM

What would you rather do during the holidays?They do come every year.

A pattern of negativity and personal expectations can become a problem.

Is it seasonal depression?You know,the sun gone before you know it,darkness most of the time,alone?

There are a lot of us with this,post more and we can assist you as you see fit.

KBC
    fudgeeo Posts: 13, Reputation: 5

Nov 23, 2008, 03:02 PM

Sometimes the holidays can be very overwhelming, I understand. If your not the type to go to holiday party after holiday party, why don't you plan your own get-together?

Pick the people you care about most, and try to spend time with them in as low-key a way as possible. For example, istead of worrying about baking and cooking for everyone, make it a potluck. Plan a Saturday or something, where you can just hang out, plan activities that you like to do, and that everyone could enjoy.

Make it very casual, sometimes it is not the fact of having to spend time with each other during the holidays that is daunting, but what to wear, what to bring... etc. No expectations!!

With the economy the way it is right now, I think everyone feels the same way coming up to the Christmas season. Why not talk to friends and family, explain how you feel, and decide on an appropriate gift exchange.

You could set a limit as to what the gifts could cost, or even decide to exchange homemade gifts for a change. You would be surprised how many people would be open to that.

You would probably feel much better giving loved ones simple gifts that is personalized by you, and means something to them.

Hope this helps even a little
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2008, 04:34 PM

It's your life, you can make your own decisions. :)

Perhaps, you don't realize the value in appreciating Noble Ideals at this point in your life?

Thanksgiving----gratitude, friendship, love...

Christmas-----joy of giving, friendship, pleasure, having peace of mind...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Depression,depression, depression on ex girlfriend. [ 8 Answers ]

After we broke up, I really wanted to forget her and such. More I tried, the more I step a few steps back. Now reminiscing I seriously feel she had cheated on me... and that might be the reason we broke up. It's been like half a year since we broke up but I still can't forget her. One of the reason...

Got holiday tickets not paid for holiday [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I really hope someone can help me. I booked a holiday in Feb and only paid low deposit. Then due to finaces I did not pay anymore so could not go. This morning the holiday tickets (flight and accommodation ) arrived. I went on the website to try and pre-book the flight seats and it let...

Holiday Projector [ 1 Answers ]

My wife bought one of the year round holiday projector for me to put in the yard yesterday. The cord it comes with is about 10 ft short. Being that this is for year round I am debating if it is worth just using an extension cord and only use it during the holidays or run it underground. If I run...

Holiday pay [ 2 Answers ]

If someone asks for vacation, can the company deny the employee to use it on the day they request? Example: I will be out for maternity leave and before returning would like to use vacation time to extend the time I am home. Can the employeer say that they can't give out the vacation or let...

Holiday dinners [ 8 Answers ]

I have relatives who frequently come to Thanksgiving + Xmas dinners each year. The questions is: Is it good manners or etiquette to bring (as an invited guest) your own tupperware containers to a dinner with the "assumption" that you will be filling them up and taking them back to your home to...

View more questions Search