Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    08_777444 Posts: 111, Reputation: 16

Nov 23, 2008, 01:28 PM
    Maternal/Paternal genealogy tests
    I was told that I could not trace my father’s genealogy using my own DNA, as I lack the necessary Y gene. I was told that a close male relative, such as a brother, father, first male cousin, uncle, etc. would have to submit the sample for me. My father submitted the sample, and now I would like to trace my maternal genealogy.

I was wondering, if I lack the necessary Y gene that is needed to trace my paternal genealogy, wouldn’t my mother also lack the same necessary Y gene needed to trace her paternal genealogy?

If so, then my question is, will I again need another close male relative to submit the sample for the maternal genealogy, or can I submit the sample myself because of the mitochondria DNA?

Any help would be appreciated.
    partaytay41 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2008, 01:59 AM

My sister is adopted and went through a similar situation. You don't necessarily need a male dna sample because they look at the trends and similarities in the dna to determine a match. However, it can me more accurate and is recommended to have a male relative involved also. Also, depending on the state that you are in the laws can be pretty strict about dna testing if it isn't necessary for proof a crime or something of a similar nature.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want my daughter to have her maternal last name [ 1 Answers ]

When my daughter was born I didn't put my last name on her birth certificate. She only has her fathers last name. I would like to add my last name to her name. I'm married with her father but I'm keeping my maiden name. I want my daughter to have her maternal last name added on to her name. How do...

DNA for Genealogy purposes [ 7 Answers ]

I am new to this site and I want to ask a question on DNA but each time I click on "ask" it seems that there is no way for me to ask anything, it justs keeps reverting back to another screen. I am interested in DNA for genealogical reasons. Thanks, Bubby328 - moved from Forum Help -

Maternal Age [ 1 Answers ]

What is Maternal Age? How it is effected and what rae the solutions on maternal age ?

Maternal Age [ 2 Answers ]

What is Maternal Age

Genealogy [ 3 Answers ]

Does anybody know what genealogy all about? I'd like to know asap! Thanks! Alex Davis

View more questions Search