Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AmberRain Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2008, 11:57 AM
    How do I get a divorce?
    I was married in Nevada and later became a victim of regular domestic violence from my husband. In June 2008, my husband was arrested for domestic violence and he never showed up for the trial against him. There is a warrant out for his arrest, but I have no idea where he is. I am now residing in California with my family and want to file for divorce. I have very limited financial resources and honestly have no idea where to begin. Can you help?
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Nov 23, 2008, 01:37 PM

Every county has a family law facilitator's office, usually located at the court house where family law matters are heard. They provide free help in filling out the forms for a divorce and helping you apply for a fee waiver if you qualify. If you have no money, start there. They do not provide legal representation, only help with you representing yourself. We have a 6 months- in California/3 months- in the county in which you file residency requirement for dissolutions but there are ways around the rule if you just arrived in the state. I'll be glad to tell you how it works if you're interested.
    div2wice Posts: 103, Reputation: 1
    -

Nov 24, 2008, 08:57 PM
    As the other answer said, some courts have the low cost or free legal help. I'm sure in some situations they are incredibly helpful, but in mine (and I've heard others say the same) they often blow you off and tell you to get a lawyer, or give you the most ridiculous run around.
    If they do not help you, you will need to get divorce papers from the courthouse, they may charge a fee. If you feel comfortable completing these yourself, then do so. You would then place a Notice of Publication in your local newspaper, contact your courthouse to see which ones they accept/recommend. This has to run for 30 days and is considered you "serving your spouse". You will return the divorce papers along with proof of this Notice you ran in the paper, to the courthouse, and file the papers. Your spouse will usually be given 30 days to respond, if he doesn't then the divorce will most likely be granted by default.
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2008, 10:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by div2wice View Post
    As the other answer said, some courts have the low cost or free legal help. I'm sure in some situations they are incredibly helpful, but in mine (and I've heard others say the same) they often blow you off and tell you to get a lawyer, or give you the most ridiculous run around.
    If they do not help you, you will need to get divorce papers from the courthouse, they may charge a fee. If you feel comfortable completing these yourself, then do so. You would then place a Notice of Publication in your local newspaper, contact your courthouse to see which ones they accept/recommend. This has to run for 30 days and is considered you "serving your spouse". You will return the divorce papers along with proof of this Notice you ran in the paper, to the courthouse, and file the papers. Your spouse will usually be given 30 days to respond, if he doesn't then the divorce will most likely be granted by default.
    In California you cannot serve by publication unless you obtain an order of the court allowing you to do so first. You have to explain to the court why you cannot serve by personal or other means.

If you simply serve by publication without the order allowing you to do so your service will be invalid and you will have wasted a lot of money.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am getting a divorce [ 5 Answers ]

I am a 22 year old f. I am getting a divorce from my soon to be ex husband. We are separated right now. I have not even started getting the divorce started because, I am worried after the divorce is settled and everything. If I take him off my car, am I going to loose my car because it is still...

Divorce [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter is getting a divorce in KY. Only married 2 months. Her & her husband built a house through self help housing before they were married. We gave her the land to build it on but it had to be put in his name & hers. This land has been in our family for many years. She wants the house for...

Divorce yes or no [ 10 Answers ]

I don't want to divorce him but he needs help with his drinking problem.. which I guess makes it my problem too.Is there any kind of help:cool::(

Want a divorce [ 4 Answers ]

Ive been with my wife for about seven years off and on. Well the last time we were apart she had a baby by another guy she dated years ago. We are a young couple seen we got back she says she don't want to have sex with me because she feels nothing ( not the size for sure) but I don't understand...

IRA and divorce [ 1 Answers ]

My ex-husband and I have been amicably divorced for 6 years but we never finished dividing the IRA. Now, I have decided to buy a house and need some money. We have found out we have to have a "quatro" (acryonm but spelled wrong), procedure submitted to divide and transfer the money. I have heard it...

View more questions Search