Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sandylee Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2008, 03:20 PM
    Wiring a remote control ceiling fan
    We are trying to install a Hampton Bay remote control ceiling fan. There is a black and a white wire from the fan motor, and also a green ground wire.

The wires coming from the ceiling are black, red and yellow. If the black goes to black, what color goes to the white from the fan motor?

There is only one wall switch for the ceiling outlet.

Thank you!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 22, 2008, 05:50 PM

You need to start from scratch and identify each wire and its purpose. The black should be hot, 20 volts test it to a known ground to confirm. The other two wires should be a neutral and a ground but the colors are wrong so start testing them with a meter to the black if you were able to confirm it is hot. Any chance of seeing the wire colors back at your panel, what color is neutral and ground there?
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2008, 09:45 PM

I am guessing the yellow is actually white. White to white, black to black OR red (only one will be controlled by the switch).

What was there before and how was it wired?

Ceiling fan wiring - Ceiling Fans N More

Nov 25, 2008, 08:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ceilingfanrepair View Post
    I am guessing the yellow is actually white. White to white, black to black OR red (only one will be controlled by the switch).

What was there before and how was it wired?

Ceiling fan wiring - Ceiling Fans N More
    Thank you for your answer.

This home is new construction. The wires were run but no fixuture or fan was installed. We are trying to do this ourselves (who knew it would be so complicated!). I have a call into the builder to find out why they ran the wires they did.

Nov 25, 2008, 08:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    You need to start from scratch and identify each wire and its purpose. The black should be hot, 20 volts test it to a known ground to confirm. The other two wires should be a neutral and a ground but the colors are wrong so start testing them with a meter to the black if you were able to confirm it is hot. Any chance of seeing the wire colors back at your panel, what color is neutral and ground there?
    Thank you for your answer. This home is new construction with the builder running the wires but not installing a light or ceiling fan. We thought this would be a straight-forward process (matching wire colors) but the electrician who wired the home must like job security!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling fan remote control wiring help? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi We just bought an Aloha Breeze remote control fan. We put it up as directed as we have put up several fans in the past. This is our first try at one with a remote. The fan came with a hand held remote and the receiver. The wiring diagram that came with it is hard to see and there are no precise...

Wiring a remote control ceiling fan [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to know how to wire a Harbor Breeze ceiling fan with a wireless remote, on a double switch. One switch turns the lights on and the other turns the fan on.

Wiring an add on remote control for a ceiling fan [ 6 Answers ]

I am pretty handy (for a girl) and consider myself pretty fan hanging savvy. That said here is the problem. I am attempting to hang a ceiling fan and also install a remote control that was bought separately. I have 2 switches on the wall, one turns the fan on and off, one controls/dims the lights...

Wiring a ceiling fan with remote control [ 5 Answers ]

I have existing wiring and switches in which the two ceiling fans with lights were controlled by a switch and so were the fans. I am replacing both with remote control fans. My problem now is that the remote sensor on each fan only has a black and a white wire and from the ceiling are a black,...

How to determine wiring for ceiling fan remote control [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay Callaway I bought in 1995. Actually I have 2 of them and one is still working, but one quit working completely. The remote control receiver unit went bad and I am trying to replace it with a new Hampton Bay remote control but I cannot tell what the fan motor wires are. I...

View more questions Search